ANYONE LIKES CARL EVEReTT??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

ANYONE LIKES CARL EVEReTT???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Amnorix » Tue Apr 22, 2003 11:41 am

Sure you can pick Everett up. Might be a help to your team. Be aware of this:

1. the guy is a headcase, and a scuzzball to boot.

2. He had a monster first half of the season for the Red Sox in, err, umm, 2000? Maybe 2001. Whatever. Around the All-Star break he had a psychotic moment and totally lost it on the field. He sucked after the break.

3. He's more or less sucked for the last 1.5 or 2.5 years (whatever).

All that said, he's a good bet to be a solid player at least until he either (1) has another psychotic moment, or (2) gets injured (a not infrequent occurrence).

If you're okay with all of the above, then go get 'im.
Amnorix

----------------------------------
"You can observe a lot just by watching."

--Yogi Berra
Amnorix
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby HOOTIE » Tue Apr 22, 2003 10:20 pm

Absolutely Adequate wrote:I couldn't live with myself if I had him on the team. I know that fantasy baseball doesn't mean squat to real life and it doesn't matter if I have him on my team, but I won't take him. He is scum. I can't believe that no one has brought up his child and wife beating past (does anyone remember them being taken from him around 99?) Sure, he's good for a few "Dinosaurs don't exist" or "We never landed on the moon" jokes, but that's not worth dirtying my soul.
Hank

Your not having the guy over for dinner, no player should be off limits. In fantasy, names dont matter at all, only the numbers the names produce.
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Everett

Postby Joe » Tue Apr 22, 2003 10:28 pm

I'm a Red Sox fan. I HATE the Yankees. I have none of them on my team ... I would take any Yankee over Everett. He is a disgrace.
Joe

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby DGroundhog » Tue Apr 22, 2003 11:01 pm

I get a good chuckle out of owners who claim 'This guy isn't a good enough human being to play on MY team'. Watch him put up stats for any length of time and these guys will give up their left nut to acquire him.

Perhaps the best example of this is a former high-and-mighty owner I participated in a league with for several years. He would actually cut a player if he got in trouble with the law. Then one year, completely unexpectedly, he shows up for our NFL draft and drafts CECIL 'THE DIESEL' COLLINS. Cecil's college coach called him the best player he ever coached, but also the worst human being he ever coached.

These 'high-and-mighty' owners will all sell their souls for the right player or price.

[b][size=18]70*[/size][/b]
* Steroid induced record
DGroundhog
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Oat Soda » Wed Apr 23, 2003 1:58 am

DGroundhog wrote:I get a good chuckle out of owners who claim 'This guy isn't a good enough human being to play on MY team'. Watch him put up stats for any length of time and these guys will give up their left nut to acquire him.

Perhaps the best example of this is a former high-and-mighty owner I participated in a league with for several years. He would actually cut a player if he got in trouble with the law. Then one year, completely unexpectedly, he shows up for our NFL draft and drafts CECIL 'THE DIESEL' COLLINS. Cecil's college coach called him the best player he ever coached, but also the worst human being he ever coached.

These 'high-and-mighty' owners will all sell their souls for the right player or price.

OK, you obvious baseball guru, put Everett on your roster and tell us who you drop. We'll compare stats in October, genious.
Oat Soda
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby DGroundhog » Wed Apr 23, 2003 3:18 am

I did put Everett on my roster last week. I dropped Mark Ellis (have Biggio at 2B).

You can compare their 'year end' stats all you want, but that is a moot comparison. I'm not claiming I will keep him all year on my roster. I may pick Ellis back up at a later time. I know Everett is streaky, but he belted 4 HR's for me and batted about .470 last week.

I am in 4th place in the league where I own him, and that isn't too bad considering my first 2 picks were Pujols and Berkman. You think I needed a little spark in the outfield???

At the moment waiver wire claims Everett and Salmon are holding my OF together. I don't care if the guy shoots heroin and smokes a half a pack of cig's while he plays in the OF. I need some stats.

* Steroid induced record
DGroundhog
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Oat Soda » Wed Apr 23, 2003 3:34 am

OK, dGroundhog. I didn't mean to flame (especially since I'm in last place in my league :-t ) but please tell me you realize Everett can't keep it up.

Dinosaurs never existed, 12 men never walked on the moon, and Everett isn't a has-been.
Oat Soda
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby DGroundhog » Wed Apr 23, 2003 4:38 am

He isn't a long term solution by any means. Hopefully I can bench him if my team gets healthy. I probably pick up over 50 players during the course of the season at least to maximize my games played at all positions. These 'fill in' guys come and go, sometimes they come back 2 or 3 times.

My main point is if a guy is putting up studly numbers almost every manager is going to pick him up if they need help at that position, regardless of the person's character.

* Steroid induced record
DGroundhog
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Oat Soda » Wed Apr 23, 2003 4:49 am

I wouldn't count on it, but I sincerely wish you the best of luck. Pray for me too :-)
Oat Soda
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Josh » Wed Apr 23, 2003 7:48 am

the whole point of fantasy sports is to take youe average guys and drop pick up guys that are hot to get study numbers out of them. Studs are usually studs, but the more hot people you can get to give you more studly numbers, the better off you will be. Everett is hot now, might as well pick him up and ride him until he cools off or someone else gets hotter. I think most people realize he will not do this all year, but he has in the past, so he could. But he is tearing it up now, so why not ride him a bit. I picked him up after I traded Hunter and O. Perez for Oswalt, I dont see anything wrong with it, but am keeping a close eye on him.
Josh
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers