AL MVP Theory - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

AL MVP Theory

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby LBJackal » Sun Sep 19, 2004 2:48 pm

If you think Bonds shouldn't win the MVP you havn't been around the Cafe very long. R and RBI don't tell yuo about skill and how much you help your team......... Put Bonds batting 3rd in the Cardinals lineup and he'd probably have 200 R and 200 RBI :-b

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby thetongueofire » Sun Sep 19, 2004 5:02 pm

doesn't Sheffield have A-rod ???

Ortiz is gonna recieve much less votes than Manny cos a) hes only a DH and more importantly b) he missed something like 9 games due to different suspensions right when the Sox were slunping and needed him.

i dont like Vlad as much cos his ops since July 1 is just .858, not impactful enough when your team is right in the thick of the wild card chase. and cos some of the writers who vote are dumb they wont vote for him just cos his team didnt make the playoffs.

that leaves... Sheffield and Ramirez. Ramirez is arguably the best hitter and has the most power in the AL whereas Sheffield has been more "clutch" and carried the Yankees when their starting rotation had 3 AA guys.
[size=10]Manny Ramirez....$20 million
Pedro Martinez....$17.5 million
Curt Schilling...$12 million (and a $2 million bonus)
Never hearing a Yankee fan chant 1918 again...priceless. [/size]
thetongueofire
General Manager
General Manager

Postby thetongueofire » Sun Sep 19, 2004 5:03 pm

one more thing: Bonds should win the NL MVP/Barry Bonds Award hands down. ;-D
[size=10]Manny Ramirez....$20 million
Pedro Martinez....$17.5 million
Curt Schilling...$12 million (and a $2 million bonus)
Never hearing a Yankee fan chant 1918 again...priceless. [/size]
thetongueofire
General Manager
General Manager

Postby rlee » Tue Sep 21, 2004 4:31 pm

In all due respect to Ramirez and Ortiz, who have been terrific this year, the most valuable player in the league ... in my opinion ;-7 has been Sheffield.

Without him, I think the Yankees would be fasr behind the Bosox. He is the one who has delivered the clutch hits time and again this year, much of which was done with one hand and one shoulder. He has turned in one of the gutsiest performances I have see ... he is one tough dude ;-D
rlee
rlee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby DK » Tue Sep 21, 2004 6:22 pm

Ah, what a thread. I can still hear the traditionalists stammering.

I'm still undecided on AL MVP. Either Manny or Sheff. If either one wins it, I wouldn't be saddened by it.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby BigBlue » Tue Sep 21, 2004 9:03 pm

I'm just curious, but do any of you think Paul Konerko should get some looks as the MVP? I doubt many people will, but it may be worth bringing up. 40 HR's, 110 RBI's, .285. Is it the fact that his team wont make the playoffs? I think he should get alot more looks than he has. The White Sox lost Maggs and Frank and he has carried the team the entire way. Just my opinion........
BigBlue
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 17)

Postby The Jury » Tue Sep 21, 2004 9:12 pm

ocmusicjunkie wrote:
Tavish wrote:As good as Ortiz has been, I don't think he will steal any votes from Ramirez. Their offensive numbers are going to be close, but Ortiz does not play the field. Both will most likely be on every ballot, but I would guess Ramirez will be ahead of Ortiz on every one of them.

You really think Manny playing left HELPS him? I think there is a certain play the voters will remember this year }:-)

:-D I love it!
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Tavish » Tue Sep 21, 2004 10:12 pm

ocmusicjunkie wrote:
Tavish wrote:As good as Ortiz has been, I don't think he will steal any votes from Ramirez. Their offensive numbers are going to be close, but Ortiz does not play the field. Both will most likely be on every ballot, but I would guess Ramirez will be ahead of Ortiz on every one of them.

You really think Manny playing left HELPS him? I think there is a certain play the voters will remember this year }:-)

Absolutely. It hurts Manny when comparing him to Shef, simply because Shef is a much better fielder than Manny. But when it comes to a bad fielder vs a DH, the voters will always favor the fielder.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 34)

Postby Sunspot » Tue Sep 21, 2004 10:29 pm

Konerko will get some votes as will Johan Santana and Tejada, Ortiz vs. Many is a tough call and will affect the vote, Sheffield vs. A-Rod will do very much the same thing. If the Angels make the playoffs I say Vlad. If the Angels miss it.......I go Ortiz, but there is still a couple weeks left to shift the vote.
Sunspot
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Jester » Wed Sep 22, 2004 12:01 pm

I'm with SOTD in saying that Pudge really should get it - being that he IS the best catcher in the game, and he hit like he did...but really thats niether here nor there.

I think it will come down to Manny or Sheff...with Sheff by a nose.

Bonds is a no brainer in the NL for me, although wouldn't it be cool if Pujols, Rolan and Edmonds could split the award three ways as the MVP trio in the game!!!!
Food is an important part of a balanced diet.
Jester
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers