AL MVP Theory - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

AL MVP Theory

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

AL MVP Theory

Postby tmyanks24 » Sun Sep 19, 2004 8:37 am

Remember when Soriano and Giambi both had great seasons in 2002 and everyone said that neither of them could win it (regardless of the Yankee bias) because they would split votes and weaken the other one's chances? I don't know if I'm the only one that sees this happening with Ortiz and Ramirez this time around. I think that could open the door for Sheffield or Vlad to grab the award. Any takers?

By the way, I'd appreciate if you could help me out with this little problem: http://fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/v ... hp?t=86522
tmyanks24
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: AL MVP Theory

Postby raiders_umpire » Sun Sep 19, 2004 11:46 am

tmyanks24 wrote:Remember when Soriano and Giambi both had great seasons in 2002 and everyone said that neither of them could win it (regardless of the Yankee bias) because they would split votes and weaken the other one's chances? I don't know if I'm the only one that sees this happening with Ortiz and Ramirez this time around. I think that could open the door for Sheffield or Vlad to grab the award. Any takers?

you make a great point with ortiz and ramirez cancelling each other out...and u very well might see sheffield as mvp because of this.....but if i had to vote it would definitely be hard to not vote for ortiz....
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby ocmusicjunkie » Sun Sep 19, 2004 12:27 pm

I don't know who will win it... but I know it won't be Ortiz or ManRam. Just like it won't be Rolen or Pujols on the NL... even though it should be.
Help please:
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1086524#1086524

Harden- 2.15 ERA, 7.61 K/9
Peavy - 2.89 ERA, 10.10 K/9

[b]Lets go Rich![/b]
ocmusicjunkie
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Bloody Nipples » Sun Sep 19, 2004 1:14 pm

ocmusicjunkie wrote:I don't know who will win it... but I know it won't be Ortiz or ManRam. Just like it won't be Rolen or Pujols on the NL... even though it should be.

and why should it be? what have they done that is more valuable to their team than Bonds?
Bloody Nipples
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Tavish » Sun Sep 19, 2004 1:19 pm

As good as Ortiz has been, I don't think he will steal any votes from Ramirez. Their offensive numbers are going to be close, but Ortiz does not play the field. Both will most likely be on every ballot, but I would guess Ramirez will be ahead of Ortiz on every one of them.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 70)

Postby ocmusicjunkie » Sun Sep 19, 2004 1:43 pm

Tavish wrote:As good as Ortiz has been, I don't think he will steal any votes from Ramirez. Their offensive numbers are going to be close, but Ortiz does not play the field. Both will most likely be on every ballot, but I would guess Ramirez will be ahead of Ortiz on every one of them.

You really think Manny playing left HELPS him? I think there is a certain play the voters will remember this year }:-)
Help please:

[b]Lets go Rich![/b]
ocmusicjunkie
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby ocmusicjunkie » Sun Sep 19, 2004 1:47 pm

Bloody Nipples wrote:
ocmusicjunkie wrote:I don't know who will win it... but I know it won't be Ortiz or ManRam. Just like it won't be Rolen or Pujols on the NL... even though it should be.

and why should it be? what have they done that is more valuable to their team than Bonds?

In short, yes. If you look only at numbers impact, it's even a yes. Bonds total runs scored + runs batted in is 217. Rolen is 228. Pujols is 235.

More important than that though, Bonds isn't a sensational fielder. Rolen is the best 3b in the game. And really, how many games has Bonds won the Giants this year? In any sort of critical situaiton, they walk him... then nobody behind him ever bats him in. On the other hand, how many games do you think Rolen and Pujols have won the Cards this year? Not only in direct run production, but indirectly too. If you take out Rolen or Pujols from that lineup, the other wouldn't see half the pitches they do. That counts toward each of their worths, too.
Help please:

[b]Lets go Rich![/b]
ocmusicjunkie
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby George_Foreman » Sun Sep 19, 2004 2:21 pm

And really, how many games has Bonds won the Giants this year?

look at the number of vicotires the giants have. divide by, say, 2. that's how many games having barry bonds has been the difference between victory and defeat. put edmonds behind him and pujols in front of him and he'll have a TON more rbi and Rs+RBI than pujols/rolen did this year. i mean, the guy is a frickin MONSTER and he's got JT Snow (?!) backing him up? how many players in the giant's lineup would you have starting in STL aside from bonds? take away bonds and you've got the diamnodbacks, complete with the sensational ace who can't seem to catch a break.

bonds is the MVP, no question.
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Mustangs989 » Sun Sep 19, 2004 2:24 pm

ocmusicjunkie wrote:
Bloody Nipples wrote:

In short, yes. If you look only at numbers impact, it's even a yes. Bonds total runs scored + runs batted in is 217. Rolen is 228. Pujols is 235.

More important than that though, Bonds isn't a sensational fielder. Rolen is the best 3b in the game. And really, how many games has Bonds won the Giants this year? In any sort of critical situaiton, they walk him... then nobody behind him ever bats him in. On the other hand, how many games do you think Rolen and Pujols have won the Cards this year? Not only in direct run production, but indirectly too. If you take out Rolen or Pujols from that lineup, the other wouldn't see half the pitches they do. That counts toward each of their worths, too.

Runs and RBI's are what we call dinosaur stats. Read this thread and I think it'll help you understand ;-)
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... hp?t=84481
Mustangs989
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Sun Sep 19, 2004 2:27 pm

I agree with the Ortiz/Ramierz theory 100%. ;-D I still believe Pudge deserves it most, but among the real contenders I think Sheff or Vlad are 1 and 1A and it really depends on these last few weeks. Just my $.02.
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers