Don't forget about the Historical fantasy draft... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Don't forget about the Historical fantasy draft...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby hybrid » Mon Sep 27, 2004 3:07 am

01 - LCBOY
02 - so0perspam
03 - kimchi_chigae
04 - Bigblue
05 - hybrid ;-D
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon Sep 27, 2004 9:21 am

I'm in.

01 - LCBOY
02 - so0perspam
03 - kimchi_chigae
04 - Bigblue
05 - hybrid
06 - Pogotheostrich
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 379)

Postby raiders_umpire » Mon Sep 27, 2004 10:15 am

01 - LCBOY
02 - so0perspam
03 - kimchi_chigae
04 - Bigblue
05 - hybrid
06 - Pogotheostrich
07 - raiders_umpire
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby warrick95 » Mon Sep 27, 2004 10:18 am

01 - LCBOY
02 - so0perspam
03 - kimchi_chigae
04 - Bigblue
05 - hybrid
06 - Pogotheostrich
07 - raiders_umpire
08- warrick95

;-D
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby LCBOY » Mon Sep 27, 2004 2:47 pm

Tavish wrote:If you all are wanting to do a simulator style league then I'm up for it. I can even donate the use of my simulator if need be.

This is a great idea! No reason we can't try several types of games, simulations, Win share scoring, etc...

So far we have 8 teams. Hopefully more will join! Arlo, Madison, DK, are you guys up for this?
LCBOY
General Manager
General Manager

Postby DK » Mon Sep 27, 2004 8:03 pm

LCBOY wrote:
Tavish wrote:If you all are wanting to do a simulator style league then I'm up for it. I can even donate the use of my simulator if need be.

This is a great idea! No reason we can't try several types of games, simulations, Win share scoring, etc...

So far we have 8 teams. Hopefully more will join! Arlo, Madison, DK, are you guys up for this?

Wouldn't miss it for A-Rod. :D

01 - LCBOY
02 - so0perspam
03 - kimchi_chigae
04 - Bigblue
05 - hybrid
06 - Pogotheostrich
07 - raiders_umpire
08 - warrick95
09 - DK
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby DK » Mon Sep 27, 2004 8:07 pm

LCBOY... I also just had an idea.

I've got one of those baseball video games that is nearly exactly like a simulator. It literally plays out a season, and compiles stats exactly how the player would have achieved them (Give or take for park effects).

Wait, it gets better...

I can take one season from anywhere within a player's prime and put it into the game. I can make every park Neutral, and play out a season with every team made like it is. That way, it's much more real than fantasy.

The only problem I would have is neutralizing players. It'd take a ton of work, but with a little help from you guys I might be able to do it. If my idea isn't well perceived by you guys, it's all good, I'm open to a ton of options.

Thoughts?
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Tavish » Mon Sep 27, 2004 8:16 pm

DK wrote:LCBOY... I also just had an idea.

I've got one of those baseball video games that is nearly exactly like a simulator. It literally plays out a season, and compiles stats exactly how the player would have achieved them (Give or take for park effects).

Wait, it gets better...

I can take one season from anywhere within a player's prime and put it into the game. I can make every park Neutral, and play out a season with every team made like it is. That way, it's much more real than fantasy.

The only problem I would have is neutralizing players. It'd take a ton of work, but with a little help from you guys I might be able to do it. If my idea isn't well perceived by you guys, it's all good, I'm open to a ton of options.

Thoughts?

Thats basically what I do with my simulator. It takes a player's peak seasons ( I use the top 4 seasons but it would be easy to change it to whatever) adjusts them to the league conditions and places them into the current run scoring enviornment (again, would be easy to change if we wanted to play in the dead-ball era or whenever). For straight seasons (no era conversion) it is pretty accurate. The few times we have used it across eras it ran pretty well, although saying its accurate is pretty impossible. No one has an exact idea how well Honus would be in the current enviornment, but his stats seemed to be within reason.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

Postby DK » Mon Sep 27, 2004 8:19 pm

Tavish wrote:
DK wrote:LCBOY... I also just had an idea.

Wait, it gets better...

Thoughts?

Thats basically what I do with my simulator. It takes a player's peak seasons ( I use the top 4 seasons but it would be easy to change it to whatever) adjusts them to the league conditions and places them into the current run scoring enviornment (again, would be easy to change if we wanted to play in the dead-ball era or whenever). For straight seasons (no era conversion) it is pretty accurate. The few times we have used it across eras it ran pretty well, although saying its accurate is pretty impossible. No one has an exact idea how well Honus would be in the current enviornment, but his stats seemed to be within reason.

Sounds good. ;D Just to make sure we're on the same level with this, it plays out an actual season, correct? With playoffs and the World Series and all that jazz?

Also, what simulator do you use? I'm going to look into it. ;D
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Tavish » Mon Sep 27, 2004 8:58 pm

Yeah, it plays out an entire season and can have any type of playoff format. It has some manager options that I am still tweaking but the basic stuff works pretty decent (base running aggression and pitcher handling are the two I think I am comfortable with right now, still working on a few other options). Its a written from scratch simulator but I used some basic ideas from Extra Inning Computer Baseball and Monte Carlo Baseball Simulation (they were both on SourceForge at one time, they should still be around there somewhere).

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers