We need a system to level the playing field or else everyone will just pick hitters from the 1920s-30s or post 1994 and all the dead-ball era pitchers (can anyone use a 40 game winner with 50 CGs and a 1.50 ERA?)
I had some ideas in the above thread listed.
1) Use win shares to score a league. But add a twist. We randomly select a player's season so if one picks Babe Ruth they won't necessarily get his best seasons.
This is just one idea
Here another form the previous thread:
I'd be glad to join in, and I have an idea.
On Whatfisports.com, you can make a dream team from different sports, so heres what we could do:
1. Do the draft here
2. Create our teams on Whatifsports.com, using any season we want from each player's career
3. Create a schedule for teams to play each other
4. Each week, the home team of each matchup (decided when the schedules are made) simululates 3 games against the team he is facing (like the average MLB series).
5. We play three weeks against each team, so if its 12 teams it comes out to a 33-week regular season, with 99 games played in total.
6. The top half of the teams make it to the playoffs
7. Top two teams get a bye
8. The final series, the World Series, is the same as the MLB one, with the first team to win 4 games as the winner
The standings could be kept here...just an idea, if anyone has any suggestions or alterations to that, let them be known
I'm am certainly open to other ideas.
Last edited by LCBOY on Tue Sep 21, 2004 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
I think the added twist of the random year would be cool. However, in order to not give a guy the bad end of the deal ALL times due to bad randomized luck, I think each person should get about three vetoes for his entire team...meaning, he can veto the year that was randomized for him and have it done again. Just an idea...
Also, stats may not be the only way to decide it, so here's an idea:
Have the results of the league split between stats and subjective viewing by the peers in the league. So, rank the teams 1-20 (or however many are in the league) and then have everybody rank the OTHER teams 1-19. After that, the place of your team will be averaged between the two (if you'd rather weight the stats, then you can X2 and divide by three instead of add and divide by two).
Just some ideas I'm throwing out there. Another solution would be to force everybody to draft a minimum amount of players from each era...
Hall of Fame Hero
Joined: 27 May 2003
Bases this season: 0
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The empty seat next to the Tampa Bay heckler