Don't forget about the Historical fantasy draft... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Don't forget about the Historical fantasy draft...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Bloody Nipples » Sun Sep 19, 2004 7:04 pm

seems interesting, but wouldnt it be kinda weird knowing for a fact what stats your players have? I mean isnt the point of fantasy predicting what WILL happen?
Bloody Nipples
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Tavish » Sun Sep 19, 2004 7:59 pm

Bloody Nipples wrote:seems interesting, but wouldnt it be kinda weird knowing for a fact what stats your players have? I mean isnt the point of fantasy predicting what WILL happen?

I would guess its a simulator style league. The guys in my league normally do one of those every couple of offseasons. More baseball intensive than fantasy baseball is, but quite alot of fun.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Re: Don't forget about the Historical fantasy draft...

Postby Arlo » Mon Sep 20, 2004 6:54 am

LCBOY wrote:Should we have the historical fantasy draft in the Baseball History forum?

If this gets off the ground, we'll either set up a separate forum for it to make it easier to follow (if it's a slow draft) or hold a live draft in the chat room. Looking forward to this. ;-D
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby LCBOY » Tue Sep 21, 2004 12:20 am

Sorry it took so long to repsond. We talked back in February-March.
http://fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=33724

We need a system to level the playing field or else everyone will just pick hitters from the 1920s-30s or post 1994 and all the dead-ball era pitchers (can anyone use a 40 game winner with 50 CGs and a 1.50 ERA?)

I had some ideas in the above thread listed.

1) Use win shares to score a league. But add a twist. We randomly select a player's season so if one picks Babe Ruth they won't necessarily get his best seasons.

This is just one idea

Here another form the previous thread:

I'd be glad to join in, and I have an idea.

On Whatfisports.com, you can make a dream team from different sports, so heres what we could do:

1. Do the draft here

2. Create our teams on Whatifsports.com, using any season we want from each player's career

3. Create a schedule for teams to play each other

4. Each week, the home team of each matchup (decided when the schedules are made) simululates 3 games against the team he is facing (like the average MLB series).

5. We play three weeks against each team, so if its 12 teams it comes out to a 33-week regular season, with 99 games played in total.

6. The top half of the teams make it to the playoffs

7. Top two teams get a bye

8. The final series, the World Series, is the same as the MLB one, with the first team to win 4 games as the winner

The standings could be kept here...just an idea, if anyone has any suggestions or alterations to that, let them be known

I'm am certainly open to other ideas.
Last edited by LCBOY on Tue Sep 21, 2004 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
LCBOY
General Manager
General Manager

Postby LCBOY » Tue Sep 21, 2004 12:24 am

Madison wrote:Umm......Historical as in retired players? :-?

Any player is eligible so if someone wants to take Bonds, Clemens, Shawn Estes, etc, they are welcome to. Also, Negro League players and Japanese League players can be picked.
Last edited by LCBOY on Tue Sep 21, 2004 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
LCBOY
General Manager
General Manager

Postby LCBOY » Tue Sep 21, 2004 12:28 am

Bloody Nipples wrote:seems interesting, but wouldnt it be kinda weird knowing for a fact what stats your players have? I mean isnt the point of fantasy predicting what WILL happen?

That's why need to come of way that will add uncertainity to the game, else there wouldn't be much fun it.
LCBOY
General Manager
General Manager

Postby pokerplaya » Tue Sep 21, 2004 12:33 am

I wasn't around for the initial thread in February, and have yet to thoroughly look it through, but it all seems very interesting.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby FatGuyWithAMullet » Tue Sep 21, 2004 1:36 am

I'd be interested in this if there is room. !+)
FatGuyWithAMullet
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby warrick95 » Tue Sep 21, 2004 11:01 am

I think the added twist of the random year would be cool. However, in order to not give a guy the bad end of the deal ALL times due to bad randomized luck, I think each person should get about three vetoes for his entire team...meaning, he can veto the year that was randomized for him and have it done again. Just an idea...

Also, stats may not be the only way to decide it, so here's an idea:

Have the results of the league split between stats and subjective viewing by the peers in the league. So, rank the teams 1-20 (or however many are in the league) and then have everybody rank the OTHER teams 1-19. After that, the place of your team will be averaged between the two (if you'd rather weight the stats, then you can X2 and divide by three instead of add and divide by two).

Just some ideas I'm throwing out there. Another solution would be to force everybody to draft a minimum amount of players from each era...
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Arlo » Wed Sep 22, 2004 4:08 am

LCBOY wrote:Also, Negro League players and Japanese League players can be picked.

I'm all for that idea, but compiling stats would be a problem.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers