the best way to draft - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

the best way to draft

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby ocmusicjunkie » Sat Sep 18, 2004 11:08 pm

I think a yahoo group would work best. It'd only take a few days to do, assuming everyone checks it a couple of times a day while the draft is going on.
Help please:
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1086524#1086524

Harden- 2.15 ERA, 7.61 K/9
Peavy - 2.89 ERA, 10.10 K/9

[b]Lets go Rich![/b]
ocmusicjunkie
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Lofunzo » Sat Sep 18, 2004 11:52 pm

For the life of me, I don't see how doing it here would take too long but doing it in a Yahoo group wouldn't. :-?
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Amazinz » Sun Sep 19, 2004 12:08 am

I did a slow draft over on the FFC. It was 10 teams, 22 rounds, and took about 4 weeks. You have like 6 months until the start of next season. Personally, I prefer slow drafts for dynasty leagues.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Bloody Nipples » Sun Sep 19, 2004 1:56 am

Amazinz wrote:I did a slow draft over on the FFC. It was 10 teams, 22 rounds, and took about 4 weeks. You have like 6 months until the start of next season. Personally, I prefer slow drafts for dynasty leagues.

We have 378 players to draft. We also want to start as late as possible so that we can use the latest news/trades/etc when drafting. Therefore we are worried a slow draft would take too long.

These are good suggestions. Keep them coming. ;-D
Bloody Nipples
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Bloody Nipples » Sun Sep 19, 2004 2:19 am

LBJackal wrote:I have an 18 team league and the past 2 seasons I've done an eMail draft. Each day of the draft, every team submits a list of players, sorted by priority. If you pick 7th, you submit a list of 7 players so you're guaranteed one will be left by the time it's your turn. Then every day, after lists are in, I draft the entire round using everybody's lists. We have 25 rounds and it takes 50 days, since we do it every other day. You could choose to do it every day for the entire draft, or every day for the first 10 rounds. I've never had a problem with this method, except that it takes so long to complete. It's nice though, because it gives you time between rounds to trade picks/players according to who was drafted in the previous round. It also gives everybody more time to think about who they want, and nobody can miss the draft since there isn't a fixed time. Lists should have a time deadline each night though; I usually say 10 PM and then at 11 I do the draft with the ones I've receieved. If somebody forgets one day, I use their old lists. If all thsoe guys are gone, either they lose that pick, they get an extra pick at the end of the next round, or you take a player for them.

I like it, but how do you deal with the question of value vs position need? Say if there are two players left on an owner's list when that owner's pick comes. What does the commish do if one player is ranked higher than a player who would fill a roster need? Do you aks for notes along with the daily list?

Also, there is always a player who falls too far. If the commish or the person doing the draft gets to see all the names, then, even if they are trying to be as fair as possible, the names of all the players will be put in their minds, and thus they will have an advantage. Any more thoughts on this method?
Bloody Nipples
General Manager
General Manager

Postby ramble2 » Sun Sep 19, 2004 2:54 am

Bloody Nipples wrote:
LBJackal wrote:I have an 18 team league and the past 2 seasons I've done an eMail draft. Each day of the draft, every team submits a list of players, sorted by priority. If you pick 7th, you submit a list of 7 players so you're guaranteed one will be left by the time it's your turn. Then every day, after lists are in, I draft the entire round using everybody's lists. We have 25 rounds and it takes 50 days, since we do it every other day. You could choose to do it every day for the entire draft, or every day for the first 10 rounds. I've never had a problem with this method, except that it takes so long to complete. It's nice though, because it gives you time between rounds to trade picks/players according to who was drafted in the previous round. It also gives everybody more time to think about who they want, and nobody can miss the draft since there isn't a fixed time. Lists should have a time deadline each night though; I usually say 10 PM and then at 11 I do the draft with the ones I've receieved. If somebody forgets one day, I use their old lists. If all thsoe guys are gone, either they lose that pick, they get an extra pick at the end of the next round, or you take a player for them.

I like it, but how do you deal with the question of value vs position need? Say if there are two players left on an owner's list when that owner's pick comes. What does the commish do if one player is ranked higher than a player who would fill a roster need? Do you aks for notes along with the daily list?

Also, there is always a player who falls too far. If the commish or the person doing the draft gets to see all the names, then, even if they are trying to be as fair as possible, the names of all the players will be put in their minds, and thus they will have an advantage. Any more thoughts on this method?

I'd emphasize the second of BN's points here. Do you make everyone's list public each day? Do you have to reveal your list before you receive anyone else's list? Otherwise you are receiving priviliged information about the other player's draft strategy.

If everyone's list is made public, that could make for a VERY interesting draft, as you might try and mislead people about which players you were interested in. You might list Loaiza (sorry, couldn't resist) as your seventh choice if you were confident one of your top six would be taken, in order to try and entice someone else to take Loaiza in the next round.

Back to the main topic of this post, we used Yahoo IM last year. It took a long time, but worked fine. I'd recommend setting a date, but starting early with a slow email draft and seeing how far you can get before draft day.
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 5)

Postby ensanimal » Sun Sep 19, 2004 12:07 pm

Bloody Nipples wrote:

if we end up going this way, bn, we could always try and get an outside source to send in our lists too. someone that is not in the league, as i wouldn't feel comfortable sending in my ideas/sleepers. just a thought.
ensanimal

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 112)

Postby George_Foreman » Sun Sep 19, 2004 2:12 pm

yeah. people don't really seem to like the idea of sending even a portion of their cheat sheets to someone who is participating in the league. if a mod wanted to volunteer, for this duty, though, it would be a great boon to us. (and, of course, a major time drain for them :-/ )
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers