the best way to draft - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

the best way to draft

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

the best way to draft

Postby Bloody Nipples » Sat Sep 18, 2004 6:51 pm

I am the commish of a league full of cafe guys, and we are debating on how we should draft. It is a keeper league that will turn into a dynasty, so nobody wants to autodraft. That poses a problem: can we do a live draft on Yahoo and risk having somebody miss the draft and have to auto draft? We are struggling to come up with alternative ways to draft. They are:

1) a slow draft here at the cafe. (shot down because it would take way too long)

2) draft using yahoo groups (might work) Does anybody know any more about this?

If you have any other ways of drafting so that all owners can draft, and so that it doesnt take more than a month, please share them here.

Thanks,
BN
Bloody Nipples
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby tlef316 » Sat Sep 18, 2004 7:07 pm

we did a draft in a yahoo messenger chatroom last year. took a few hours, but it worked out pretty well. just need someone to keep a master list of the picks and makes sure everyone pays attention.

type the Actual picks in all caps to avoid confusion example:

2.3 MANNY RAMIREZ OF

hope this helps
tlef316
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Bloody Nipples » Sat Sep 18, 2004 7:08 pm

tlef316 wrote:we did a draft in a yahoo messenger chatroom last year. took a few hours, but it worked out pretty well. just need someone to keep a master list of the picks and makes sure everyone pays attention.

2.3 MANNY RAMIREZ OF

hope this helps

seems like the same thing as a live draft using yahoo's program. the only difference is that there is no time limit. was everyone present?
Bloody Nipples
General Manager
General Manager

Postby tlef316 » Sat Sep 18, 2004 7:11 pm

Bloody Nipples wrote:
tlef316 wrote:we did a draft in a yahoo messenger chatroom last year. took a few hours, but it worked out pretty well. just need someone to keep a master list of the picks and makes sure everyone pays attention.

2.3 MANNY RAMIREZ OF

hope this helps

seems like the same thing as a live draft using yahoo's program. the only difference is that there is no time limit. was everyone present?

we were missing a few people, but they left lists and we drafted off of those. there were no complaints. we are going to work harder to establish a more convinient time this year. we set a 2 minute time limit, but didnt really have to enforce it
tlef316
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby DominicanLou » Sat Sep 18, 2004 7:56 pm

We usually do our drafts over AOL instant messenger. We just open up a chat room, invite the league members, and start picking. Of course, everyone has to be present. This mode also allows for conversation and for humiliation after bad picks. It is very effective for us, most drafts are done in under 3 hours, and we draft an extremely large number of players (30 players on 10 teams).
DominicanLou
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby so0perspam » Sat Sep 18, 2004 8:14 pm

BN, it's our league isn't it? I think we should only have the 14 members from our league dtermine which format to use.
ImageImage
so0perspam
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby Bloody Nipples » Sat Sep 18, 2004 8:50 pm

So0peRsPam wrote:BN, it's our league isn't it? I think we should only have the 14 members from our league dtermine which format to use.

yes, I was just looking for ideas.
Bloody Nipples
General Manager
General Manager

Postby pokerplaya » Sat Sep 18, 2004 8:58 pm

I think this is a good idea, getting suggestions from outside sources can never hurt.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby LBJackal » Sat Sep 18, 2004 10:56 pm

I have an 18 team league and the past 2 seasons I've done an eMail draft. Each day of the draft, every team submits a list of players, sorted by priority. If you pick 7th, you submit a list of 7 players so you're guaranteed one will be left by the time it's your turn. Then every day, after lists are in, I draft the entire round using everybody's lists. We have 25 rounds and it takes 50 days, since we do it every other day. You could choose to do it every day for the entire draft, or every day for the first 10 rounds. I've never had a problem with this method, except that it takes so long to complete. It's nice though, because it gives you time between rounds to trade picks/players according to who was drafted in the previous round. It also gives everybody more time to think about who they want, and nobody can miss the draft since there isn't a fixed time. Lists should have a time deadline each night though; I usually say 10 PM and then at 11 I do the draft with the ones I've receieved. If somebody forgets one day, I use their old lists. If all thsoe guys are gone, either they lose that pick, they get an extra pick at the end of the next round, or you take a player for them.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby shortsavage » Sat Sep 18, 2004 11:02 pm

You are going to have plenty of time to schedule your draft before the beginning of the 2005 season. Why not have the commish take the time to align a live draft date that works for everyone after requesting a schedule overview from each league member?
Mike Pelfrey > Matt Garza
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers