Forming a Moneyball league next year... need input - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Forming a Moneyball league next year... need input

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Forming a Moneyball league next year... need input

Postby ocmusicjunkie » Sat Sep 18, 2004 5:16 pm

Besides the normal 5x5 league we always do, I've decided to make a Moneyball league on the side next year. I also would like it to be 5x5, but I'm having some trouble deciding on stat catagories. For hitting, it's pretty simple. I figure OBP, OPS, HR, Walks, K's. For pitching, it's a bit tougher to come up with five. With the options Yahoo gives you, the only obvious ones would be HR, K/BB, K/9.

What do you guys think I should use?
Help please:
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1086524#1086524

Harden- 2.15 ERA, 7.61 K/9
Peavy - 2.89 ERA, 10.10 K/9

[b]Lets go Rich![/b]
ocmusicjunkie
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Forming a Moneyball league next year... need input

Postby DK » Sat Sep 18, 2004 5:41 pm

ocmusicjunkie wrote:Besides the normal 5x5 league we always do, I've decided to make a Moneyball league on the side next year. I also would like it to be 5x5, but I'm having some trouble deciding on stat catagories. For hitting, it's pretty simple. I figure OBP, OPS, HR, Walks, K's. For pitching, it's a bit tougher to come up with five. With the options Yahoo gives you, the only obvious ones would be HR, K/BB, K/9.

Pitching cats should be K/BB, K/9, HR/9, BB/9, and... Hm... OBA (On base against)? If they have that.

If you have an extra spot, you know who to call. B-)
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby bleach168 » Sat Sep 18, 2004 8:12 pm

ocmusicjunkie wrote:Besides the normal 5x5 league we always do, I've decided to make a Moneyball league on the side next year. I also would like it to be 5x5, but I'm having some trouble deciding on stat catagories. For hitting, it's pretty simple. I figure OBP, OPS, HR, Walks, K's. For pitching, it's a bit tougher to come up with five. With the options Yahoo gives you, the only obvious ones would be HR, K/BB, K/9.

Whoever drafts Bonds is going to win that league.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 16)

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Sat Sep 18, 2004 8:24 pm

Why K's for hitters?
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby ocmusicjunkie » Sat Sep 18, 2004 8:36 pm

^^^ yes, I am aware that Bonds will be the #1 pick in ANY moneyball-style league.

Why K's for hitters? Because, as the book states over and over, K's are far worse than other outs. K'ing shouldn't be counted the same as a fly-out or ground-out.

I like DK's ideas for the pitching... but HR/9, BB/9, and OBA aren't stats Yahoo offers (at least, not this season). BTW, I'll let you know if we have an open slot ;-D

I'm thinking that I may move both leagues to a different site next season. Anyone have a suggestion on a site that offers all of those catagories?
Help please:
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1086524#1086524

Harden- 2.15 ERA, 7.61 K/9
Peavy - 2.89 ERA, 10.10 K/9

[b]Lets go Rich![/b]
ocmusicjunkie
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Lofunzo » Sun Sep 19, 2004 2:49 am

Make sure that you only draft pitchers drafted out of college and not high school. :-?
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Sun Sep 19, 2004 5:38 pm

ocmusicjunkie wrote:^^^ yes, I am aware that Bonds will be the #1 pick in ANY moneyball-style league.

Why K's for hitters? Because, as the book states over and over, K's are far worse than other outs. K'ing shouldn't be counted the same as a fly-out or ground-out.

I just pulled my book out because I didn't remember it being so heavily emphasized in the book. Really, the ONLY place I can see strikeouts emphasized at all for hitters is page 171.

In fact, if anything, the sabremetric studies that undergird the Moneyball approach convincingly show that most traditionalists over-emphasize the value of a strikeout for betters. Overall, strikeouts are not worse than other outs, because DPs result in "other outs" being worse for scoring runs. If you remove DPs from the equation, strikeouts are slightly worse than other outs, becxause they tend to not move runners over. Overall, though, strikeouts are not bad.

"But strikeouts also prevent even more detrimental events such as double-play grounders,. It's been shown -- most recently by Ryan Wilkins at Baseball Prospectus -- that far from the conventional wisdom that batter strikeouts are worse than other outs, they have a slight positive correlation with measures of offensive performance such as OPS and Marginal Lineup Value Rate which correlate well with scoring runs..."
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby Rico The Retard » Sun Sep 19, 2004 10:06 pm

Chad Bradford will be the top reliever
fgfdsgdsfdasfd

"Hey honey, ya think KFC's still open"-Will Ferrell

Mark my words: Oliver Perez will be 2005 NL Cy Young Winner
Rico The Retard
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby aberrant504 » Mon Sep 20, 2004 1:59 am

get brown
aberrant504
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby reiser » Mon Sep 20, 2004 10:26 am

ocmusicjunkie wrote:I like DK's ideas for the pitching... but HR/9, BB/9, and OBA aren't stats Yahoo offers (at least, not this season). BTW, I'll let you know if we have an open slot ;-D

they do track DIPS on ESPN-I wonder if they have that available in their fantasy leagues yet.
reiser
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers