Why is Ben Sheets so much better this year? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Why is Ben Sheets so much better this year?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby The Cow » Sun Sep 19, 2004 12:17 am

Thanks for the replies guys. I am still not sold on him being a strikeout guy, but who really knows. I do think he may be like a Vazquez, big k's and good control one year to avg K's and still good control the next.

Thanks,
The Cow
The Cow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby hybrid » Sun Sep 19, 2004 12:29 am

The Cow wrote:Thanks for the replies guys. I am still not sold on him being a strikeout guy, but who really knows. I do think he may be like a Vazquez, big k's and good control one year to avg K's and still good control the next.

Thanks,
The Cow

Vazquez's declining K's were expected right when he went to the Yanks and the AL. It was in due partly to him not knowing the hitters well, but more so a part of him not having easy K's in the pitchers spot.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby bleach168 » Sun Sep 19, 2004 12:47 am

Anyone who throws in the high 90's is going to K a lot of people. Vazquez throws in the low 90's now. I don't know what he threw in Montreal as I never really watched him pitch back then.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 16)

Postby ocmusicjunkie » Sun Sep 19, 2004 1:03 am

I don't think it's rocket science. He's always had great stuff. It was just a matter of learning how to use it. When you have great speed and movement, you don't need good pitch selection in college, the olympics, or even the minors. In the majors, you need to learn when to throw what. For some pitchers like Sheets, it just takes longer than others.
Help please:
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1086524#1086524

Harden- 2.15 ERA, 7.61 K/9
Peavy - 2.89 ERA, 10.10 K/9

[b]Lets go Rich![/b]
ocmusicjunkie
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby LBJackal » Sun Sep 19, 2004 8:49 am

Gil Meche and Danny Kolb throw in the high 90's - around 97/98 I think - and they hardly K anybody. It's more of your style then your speed. I don't think Nomo ever threw very hard (around 90 maybe) but he was always a good K pitcher. He should retire now though......

As for Bonderman, yeah he's gonna be very good. I had him in a few leagues this year and he's been great at times. He was in line to be another Oakland Ace before he was traded. Luckily being thrown to the wolves last year didn't destroy his confidence.... :-°

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby DieHardCubbie » Sun Sep 19, 2004 9:16 am

LBJackal wrote:That's true... but I don't think he is attacking the strike zone more, I think he has better control, so he's attacking it less. He can hit it if he has to, but to get all those K's you don't attack the zone; that's what guys like David Wells, Derek Lowe and Tim Hudson do. They make you hit the ball the way they want, instead of not at all which is what it seems Sheets has been doing. He also has great control though, and hardly walks anybody. Seems like the real deal. You don't have a K/BB of 8.2 by fluke.

Along with Tongues first two...I think this is alot of it...when you look at a K pitcher (RJ, Wood, Clemens)...they don't strike people out in the stike zone...they get them to swing at pitches out of the zone...and this is what Sheets has started to do...I think it comes from him maturing as a pitcher... :-)
[b]Useless Trivia of the day[/b]

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby mikcou » Sun Sep 19, 2004 10:27 am

So0peRsPam wrote:
thetongueofire wrote:a) everyone agrees that he had talent and some pretty nice stuff.
b) hes finally fully healthy.
c) hes attacking the strike zone much more and has a lot better control.

Short and concise. There are your answers. ;-D

Thats the reason and he should be able to have another great season next year ;-D
mikcou
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers