Manager Candidates - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to New York Mets

Manager Candidates

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Manager Candidates

Postby Amazinz » Thu Sep 16, 2004 11:05 pm

Well we know Howe is through but sticking it out for the remainder of the season. Here's is an article posted on MSG outlining the various candidate rumors:

Lou Piniella
D-Rays
Manager
New York has always loved Sweet Lou, whose services are considered a long shot. Lou loves winning, and his famous intensity may rub some vets the wrong way, but is a favorite to somehow end up in Flushing one day.

Willie Randolph
Yankees coach
A smart baseball man who's seen it all has been a finalist for many jobs. Knows what it takes to win, what it takes to be a good 2B (i.e. Kaz Matsui's 2005 slot) and oozes professionalism. Briefly played for the Mets in 1992.

Gary Carter
Retired Hall of Famer
Despite zero experience, would command respect. Has openly stated a desire to manage the Mets someday, and ex-mate Bobby Ojeda said The Kid has the goods.

Don Baylor
Mets bench coach
Has plenty of experience with Cubs and Rockies, but may not want to come on heels of good friend Howe's firing.

Howard Johnson
Hitting coach
B-Mets
Why not Hojo? The franchise leader in many categories has been moving up the ranks as a manager in the minors, where he's helped guide successful teams.

Bobby Valentine
Chiba Lotte (Japan) manager
Could the master of disguise return? Don't count it out, since his leadership resulted in a World Series berth and some of the Mets' better years since the late 80s.

Larry Bowa
Phillies manager
Rumored to be fired by floundering Phils, the fiery Bowa may become bench coach; would definitely school Matsui and Jose Reyes being a former Gold Glove middle IF.

Lenny Dykstra
Businessman
Also no experience, but played for potential bench coach Bowa, and has served as a Mets Spring Training instructor. Reportedly being considered for his ties to the beloved, swaggering '86 team and hard-nosed attitude.

Wally Backman
Lancaster JetHawks (A)
Manager
Still fiery in his own right, Backman, after time managing in the ChiSox system, is currently guiding the D'backs Single-A affiliate to a first-place berth among six ejections and a 10-game suspension for an ump bump. A Sporting News' Minor League Manager of the Year.

Joe Maddon
Angels coach
Was a finalist for the Red Sox manager's job before Terry Francona got it; his computer-savvy approach would jive with pitching coach Rick Peterson.

Tom Kelly
Retired
Retired former Twins skipper who helped build winners in Minny with always-professional, no-nonsense style is said to be someone Mets will look at.

Tony LaRussa
Cardinals manager
His contract is expiring, but with his potent Cardinals at 95-49, a move is unlikely.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Fri Sep 17, 2004 10:45 am

I'd not heard LaRussa's name being thrown around. I sure hope he doesn't go. :-D Not following the Mest or the situation very closely, I would think Carter or Johnson sound like the best options. Like I said I'm not famailar with the Mets situation, though.
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby pokerplaya » Tue Sep 21, 2004 12:18 am

I'm not sure who would be the best fit, but HoJo would always be cool. I wouldn't mind seeing Baylor or Randolph get it....and Bobby V. coming back would at least bring some laughs.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby Amazinz » Tue Sep 21, 2004 12:26 am

I wouldn't mind Piniella and there have been rumors that the Kazmir deal involved a handshake deal concerning Lou. We'll see.

Bobby V. is the best manager the Mets have had since Davey Johnson. 2000 speaks volumes about Bobby V.'s skills. Unfortunaley he became Steve Phillips' scapegoat. Would love to see him come back.

Wouldn't mind seeing Baylor stay on and if I had to go with one of the sentimental choices I'd take Gary Carter.

If LaRussa is going to leave St. Louis it will most likely be to retire not come to the Mets.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Sep 21, 2004 9:19 am

Some good choices. Carter would be real interesting to see. Baylor and Bowa would be bad choices IMO. But no manager is going to be very successful until the front office starts making some smarter moves.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 272)

Postby DK » Tue Sep 21, 2004 8:47 pm

Amazinz wrote:I wouldn't mind Piniella and there have been rumors that the Kazmir deal involved a handshake deal concerning Lou. We'll see.

PM Sent. B-)
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby raiders_umpire » Sat Mar 12, 2005 11:32 am

Amazinz wrote:I wouldn't mind Piniella and there have been rumors that the Kazmir deal involved a handshake deal concerning Lou. We'll see.

aaahhhhhh...quit believing those new york gossip columns... :-D :-D :-D as far as the mets manager,,,they made the right decision imo getting randolph.......
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Re: Manager Candidates

Postby Amazinz » Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:35 pm

I will bump this oldie because... The Bobby V. rumors have returned. I may be psychic when I mentioned it in GC or maybe this is like predicting a Manny to the Mets rumor.

If Manuel falls through, Valentine not opposed to talking with Mets

By Andrew Marchand
Special to ESPN.com

Updated: October 3, 2008, 12:31 PM ET

If the New York Mets are unable to sign Jerry Manuel to be their manager, Bobby Valentine sounds interested in returning to Queens.

Valentine is currently managing Chiba Lotte in Japan's professional league. He says he is happy there, but Valentine is not opposed to talking with the Mets. In an e-mail message, Valentine was asked: How much interest would you have in returning to manage the Mets?

"I am working for a team that needs me and wants me as their man," Valentine replied. "I love it here, but I am an American and love great challenges. I was a in a Met uniform in the '70s, '80s, '90s, 2000, and would love to be there in the next decade."

Mets general manager Omar Minaya is currently negotiating with Manuel to become the full-time manager. The talks, though, have stalled a bit. The Mets are reportedly only offering Manuel a two-year contract but Manuel reportedly wants a lengthier commitment.

As for Valentine, he could be too expensive for the Mets; he reportedly makes $4 million annually managing in Japan, a salary that makes him the second highest-paid manager in professional baseball, behind the Dodgers' Joe Torre. The Mets still have to pay Randolph $2.5 million in 2009, the final season of his contract.

Minaya did not immediately return a call seeking comment on the possibility of talking to Valentine.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3623945
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Return to New York Mets