Justin Duchscherer for 2005 - SP? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Justin Duchscherer for 2005 - SP?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Justin Duchscherer for 2005 - SP?

Postby shortsavage » Fri Sep 17, 2004 1:03 am

LBJackal wrote:
shortsavage wrote:
LBJackal wrote:I know he's not a big K pitcher, but when him and Harden were coming up last year there was a debate over who was actually better - Harden, the glamour K pitccher who throws heat and had the perfect inning streak, or Duchsch-bag, who doesn't K a lot but has great control and is more mature.

I'm not sure about the solidity of this point. Duchscherer was comparable to Harden for a very short period of time. I will be very surprised if The Duke starts the season in the Athletic's rotation.

And it's not like Blanton is breezing through AAA..... he has a 4.19 ERA and a 1.32 WHIP in the PCL.

Keep in mind that the PCL is commonly dubbed a hitter's league. And some managers pull tricky stunts. I went to Huddy's rehab assignment in Sacramento (AAA) this season and the Redhawks' (Tex) manager started like seven guys (DH included) who hit left handed against Hudson.
Mike Pelfrey > Matt Garza
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Justin Duchscherer for 2005 - SP?

Postby LBJackal » Fri Sep 17, 2004 1:16 am

shortsavage wrote:
LBJackal wrote:
shortsavage wrote:
LBJackal wrote:I know he's not a big K pitcher, but when him and Harden were coming up last year there was a debate over who was actually better - Harden, the glamour K pitccher who throws heat and had the perfect inning streak, or Duchsch-bag, who doesn't K a lot but has great control and is more mature.

I'm not sure about the solidity of this point. Duchscherer was comparable to Harden for a very short period of time. I will be very surprised if The Duke starts the season in the Athletic's rotation.

And it's not like Blanton is breezing through AAA..... he has a 4.19 ERA and a 1.32 WHIP in the PCL.

Keep in mind that the PCL is commonly dubbed a hitter's league. And some managers pull tricky stunts. I went to Huddy's rehab assignment in Sacramento (AAA) this season and the Redhawks' (Tex) manager started like seven guys (DH included) who hit left handed against Hudson.

Well I doubt stunts are the reason for Blanton not palying well. If they worked taht well, they'd be used in MLB, wouldn't they? Unless the minors has deeper rosters allowing for that kind of play, and the talent level might be more even as well allowing you to switch hitters in and out based on matchups. I don't know the minors all taht well........... but from what I understand Blanton hasn't had that much success this year. I can at least see him getting some more time there to start off 2005, and then if he pulls a Harden and dominates it, he'll get the call. I don't know, I'm jsut assuming obviously.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby mtarail » Fri Sep 17, 2004 5:12 pm

LBJackal wrote:
mtarail wrote:A. I wouldn't assume that Duke is the better SP than Redman. As a matter of fact, I think the opposite.

B. What do you do with Redman if Duke starts? You may not like Redman, but he's too good and still too young to turn into a middle reliever. Duke can wait awhile. One of the 4 arms is probably gonna get injured sometime next year. At that point that they can start him and see how it goes.

True, it's not a sure thing that Duke is better as a SP. But it sure doens't look like he could be worse judging by this year. If it were a few bad starts by Redman, I could understand. But it's going on 5 months that he's been stinking it up.

Pitchers sometimes have bad years. That doesn't mean teams give up on them. The fact of the matter is that Redman is a DAMN good #5 pitcher, despite his off year. As a matter of fact, on many teams he would probably be a #3 pitcher (Giants, White Sox, and Twins come to mind, for starters).

As for my second point, I'd like to hear your opinion, since you haven't addressed it yet. Do you honestly think you can move Redman into middle relief at this stage in his career? IMO, doing that to make room for a young pitcher who has been very good but not dominant and has virtually 0 experience as a major league starter makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.
Bluto: Over? Did you say over? NOTHING is over until WE decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? HELL, NO!
Otter: Germans?
Boon: Forget it, he's rolling.
mtarail
General Manager
General Manager

Postby thetongueofire » Fri Sep 17, 2004 5:33 pm

Isnt Zito supposed to be a FA next year or am i just hallucinating ??? !+)

and then Blanton's supposed to take over from Zito...

not sure tho.
[size=10]Manny Ramirez....$20 million
Pedro Martinez....$17.5 million
Curt Schilling...$12 million (and a $2 million bonus)
Never hearing a Yankee fan chant 1918 again...priceless. [/size]
thetongueofire
General Manager
General Manager

Postby shortsavage » Fri Sep 17, 2004 7:17 pm

Zito is signed through 2005 and the team has an option for him in 2006 (however it does not look like they have a buyout penalty set up).

Just for reference: Mulder is signed through 2005 as well with an option for 2006 (250,000 buyout). Hudson has already had his 6.0million 2005 option exercised.
Mike Pelfrey > Matt Garza
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby thetongueofire » Fri Sep 17, 2004 7:39 pm

ok. thanks for the clarification. ;-D so next year the A's will have the same guys plus Blanton trying to break in. with the pen being as weak as it is and next year prolly weak MR market, i think Deusch only has an outside chance for the rotation. :-)
[size=10]Manny Ramirez....$20 million
Pedro Martinez....$17.5 million
Curt Schilling...$12 million (and a $2 million bonus)
Never hearing a Yankee fan chant 1918 again...priceless. [/size]
thetongueofire
General Manager
General Manager

Postby LBJackal » Sat Sep 18, 2004 2:04 am

Yeah...... wishful thinking I guess. But Redman has been so bad!

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers