Justin Duchscherer for 2005 - SP? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Justin Duchscherer for 2005 - SP?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Justin Duchscherer for 2005 - SP?

Postby LBJackal » Thu Sep 16, 2004 7:42 pm

I have this guy in a few leagues........ he's been pretty good out of the bullpen, but will he get a shot at the rotation next year? I know he's not a big K pitcher, but when him and Harden were coming up last year there was a debate over who was actually better - Harden, the glamour K pitccher who throws heat and had the perfect inning streak, or Duchsch-bag, who doesn't K a lot but has great control and is more mature.

Will Duchsch get a shot at the rotation in 2005? Anybody know? I can't imagine Redman will get the nod over him after how bad he's been. It's always nice to have a lefty out of the bullpen anyways..... right? :-D

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby warrick95 » Thu Sep 16, 2004 10:13 pm

Blanton didn't light the minors up last year, but I'd imagine he'd be ready next season. He spent a full year at AAA after being fast tracked following the 2002 draft. 4.19 ERA isn't spectacular, but I don't see a top prospect like him spending over a year at AAA.

Hudson
Mulder
Zito
Harden
And Redman, Blanton, and Duke battling for the last spot. I think it's a longshot...a huge longshot.

What are the contract situations of these players? I seem to remember that Zito's deal was up soon...is it? If so, that may open something up for Duke...especially if Redman was only signed for one year. Hudson, Mulder, and Harden's pretty concrete, though.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby LBJackal » Thu Sep 16, 2004 10:24 pm

Redman is signed for next season as well, and there is a mutual option for 2006 - basically, he'll be a FA in 2006 :-D

So I guess it's between Blanton and Duke :-? Hopeully he gets a shot, I could use him next year for sure. I don't know the contract stats of the big 3 but i assume if they trade one away/lose one to FA, that Duke should get a shot. I'm hoping, anyways.

LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Re: Justin Duchscherer for 2005 - SP?

Postby shortsavage » Thu Sep 16, 2004 11:21 pm

LBJackal wrote:I know he's not a big K pitcher, but when him and Harden were coming up last year there was a debate over who was actually better - Harden, the glamour K pitccher who throws heat and had the perfect inning streak, or Duchsch-bag, who doesn't K a lot but has great control and is more mature.

I'm not sure about the solidity of this point. Duchscherer was comparable to Harden for a very short period of time. I will be very surprised if The Duke starts the season in the Athletic's rotation.
Mike Pelfrey > Matt Garza
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Re: Justin Duchscherer for 2005 - SP?

Postby LBJackal » Thu Sep 16, 2004 11:24 pm

shortsavage wrote:
LBJackal wrote:I know he's not a big K pitcher, but when him and Harden were coming up last year there was a debate over who was actually better - Harden, the glamour K pitccher who throws heat and had the perfect inning streak, or Duchsch-bag, who doesn't K a lot but has great control and is more mature.

I'm not sure about the solidity of this point. Duchscherer was comparable to Harden for a very short period of time. I will be very surprised if The Duke starts the season in the Athletic's rotation.

Yeah I'm starting to think it was Blanton who was compared with Harden, kinda forgot about Blanton....... either way, Duke's been pretty good and a shot at the roation isn't that much of a longshot if Blanton doesn't get a spot right away. He's obviously better than Redman, and who else do they have for the 5th spot? Nobody. And it's not like Blanton is breezing through AAA..... he has a 4.19 ERA and a 1.32 WHIP in the PCL. Duke probably could have done as good as that in the majors this year, let alone AAA.

LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby mtarail » Fri Sep 17, 2004 12:41 am

As well as Redman played last year my guess is that he'll keep his rotation spot. Bad year or not Redman is far too good of a pitcher to ship off or move into relief. And Duke has absolutely held down the middle relief job for the A's. If I'm A's management I'm thinking: why change? Even with an off-year from Redman they are in the playoff race.
Bluto: Over? Did you say over? NOTHING is over until WE decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? HELL, NO!
Otter: Germans?
Boon: Forget it, he's rolling.
mtarail
General Manager
General Manager

Postby ocmusicjunkie » Fri Sep 17, 2004 12:48 am

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a Redman fan- but I think you guys are being a bit harsh.

Compared to the average 5th starter, or even 4th for that matter, he's been pretty good...
Help please:
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1086524#1086524

Harden- 2.15 ERA, 7.61 K/9
Peavy - 2.89 ERA, 10.10 K/9

[b]Lets go Rich![/b]
ocmusicjunkie
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby LBJackal » Fri Sep 17, 2004 12:53 am

Yeah he's been pretty good for a 5th starter, but Duchschbag would probably be better. Woudln't you rather have the better pitcher getting 200 IP in the rotation then 100 IP from the bullpen? Makes sense to give the better pitcher more innings than a worse pitcher.

LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby mtarail » Fri Sep 17, 2004 12:58 am

A. I wouldn't assume that Duke is the better SP than Redman. As a matter of fact, I think the opposite.

B. What do you do with Redman if Duke starts? You may not like Redman, but he's too good and still too young to turn into a middle reliever. Duke can wait awhile. One of the 4 arms is probably gonna get injured sometime next year. At that point that they can start him and see how it goes.
Bluto: Over? Did you say over? NOTHING is over until WE decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? HELL, NO!
Otter: Germans?
Boon: Forget it, he's rolling.
mtarail
General Manager
General Manager

Postby LBJackal » Fri Sep 17, 2004 1:01 am

mtarail wrote:A. I wouldn't assume that Duke is the better SP than Redman. As a matter of fact, I think the opposite.

B. What do you do with Redman if Duke starts? You may not like Redman, but he's too good and still too young to turn into a middle reliever. Duke can wait awhile. One of the 4 arms is probably gonna get injured sometime next year. At that point that they can start him and see how it goes.

True, it's not a sure thing that Duke is better as a SP. But it sure doens't look like he could be worse judging by this year. If it were a few bad starts by Redman, I could understand. But it's going on 5 months that he's been stinking it up.

LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers