Time for some Yahoo bashing - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Time for some Yahoo bashing

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Amazinz » Thu Sep 16, 2004 6:17 pm

Definitely. I have waisted a lot of precious moments e-mailing those pecker-heads to A) get no reply at all and B) get some inane response that barely begins to answer my question.

And before someone jumps on me about Yahoo being free, let me say this: It is free for many people but a lot of also pay the $10 for stat-tracker. Currently I have shelled out $40 to Yahoo. $20 for two IDs for both baseball and football. On top of that I am in one plus league where I split the cost with 11 other guys.

Overall I am pleased with Yahoo but their customer service sucks big time. :-P
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby thetongueofire » Thu Sep 16, 2004 6:23 pm

maybe i'll start a free fantasy league hosting site if i grow up to be super-rich. (yeah right ;-7 ) :-?

then i'll be the one who puts yahoo out of business. :-B
[size=10]Manny Ramirez....$20 million
Pedro Martinez....$17.5 million
Curt Schilling...$12 million (and a $2 million bonus)
Never hearing a Yankee fan chant 1918 again...priceless. [/size]
thetongueofire
General Manager
General Manager

Postby raiders_umpire » Thu Sep 16, 2004 6:36 pm

thetongueofire wrote:maybe i'll start a free fantasy league hosting site if i grow up to be super-rich. (yeah right ;-7 ) :-?

;-D let me know when you start it...... ;-D
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Amazinz » Thu Sep 16, 2004 6:40 pm

raiders_umpire wrote:
thetongueofire wrote:maybe i'll start a free fantasy league hosting site if i grow up to be super-rich. (yeah right ;-7 ) :-?

;-D let me know when you start it...... ;-D

...because we want VIP lifetime memberships. O:-)
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby ocmusicjunkie » Thu Sep 16, 2004 6:40 pm

I don't think there is anything wrong with bashing yahoo. Hear me out for a second:

Everyone here is right about one thing. Yahoo doesn't HAVE to offer these games for free. But, do you REALLY think they are doing it "for free"? Of course not, they are making a ton off advertising and such. If we weren't all giving their site traffic, they couldn't charge as much for those ads. Plus all the Stat-Tracker money we pay.

Beyond that, I would much rather go to a site and pay for a WORKING game than get involved in one I assume is fine, only to get screwed by slow updates and incorrect stats mid-season.

Next year, I will NOT be playing Yahoo again.
Help please:
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1086524#1086524

Harden- 2.15 ERA, 7.61 K/9
Peavy - 2.89 ERA, 10.10 K/9

[b]Lets go Rich![/b]
ocmusicjunkie
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby LBJackal » Thu Sep 16, 2004 7:06 pm

ocmusicjunkie wrote:I don't think there is anything wrong with bashing yahoo. Hear me out for a second:

Everyone here is right about one thing. Yahoo doesn't HAVE to offer these games for free. But, do you REALLY think they are doing it "for free"? Of course not, they are making a ton off advertising and such. If we weren't all giving their site traffic, they couldn't charge as much for those ads. Plus all the Stat-Tracker money we pay.

Beyond that, I would much rather go to a site and pay for a WORKING game than get involved in one I assume is fine, only to get screwed by slow updates and incorrect stats mid-season.

Next year, I will NOT be playing Yahoo again.

I agree with most of that, except for not returning to Yahoo. I'm a poor universoity student, what can I say :-D

Just because we don't pay them cash doens't mean they shouldn't update the callups. Hell, I could do it for them for $50 if they wanted me to. It's not like it's a hard thing to do.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby great gretzky » Thu Sep 16, 2004 11:13 pm

fantasy sports for yahoo are a "loss leader" and don't kid yourself. there is no way they make enough on advertising to offset the amount of bandwidth and employee costs to run these games. I am quite happy with yahoo, considering.

My thought on it is, the lack of call ups effect everyone equally. If you are depending on that at this point, you definitely aren't winning.

You also have to remember that this is also the start of football season, as much as we hate to admit it, a fantasy sport that blows ours away in populatrity.

the facts are, for the price and manpower, putting a few insignificant september callups in there aren't worht the cost benefit analysis as making sure football is on the up and up.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby NZF » Thu Sep 16, 2004 11:16 pm

Yahoo certainly has it's limitations, but so do other pay fantasy baseball sites I've used.

Value for money, Yahoo GMC Fantasy Baseball is easily the best.
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby LBJackal » Thu Sep 16, 2004 11:20 pm

I could do it for fifty bucks....... I don't think you need cost/benefit analyis for that, LOL. It's as simple as highlighting their names and pressing "activate". Not like it'll take away days worth of resources. They could probably even have set up an automated system so once a guy is called up, all a worker does is press, "OK" and the guy is added.

And yeah, it's probably a loss leader, but does that matter? They're still benefitting financially from it, just not directly. It's like stores that sell milk for 99 cents - they lose money on the milk but while you're there you buy all your other groceries too, so in the end they benefit. Does that mean you can't complain about the milk being sour, just because it was cheaper than it should be? No. And Yahoo's milk is sour :-D

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby RayD » Thu Sep 16, 2004 11:39 pm

I played Yahoo for a couple years and quit because everything about it seemed so least-common-denominator, from the other players to the service. I didnt play fantasy baseball at all in 02 or 03, and decided to pay for Sandbox this year (I know, I know, let's not start) because it was what I was used to from before.

So I'm curious, if money is not a factor, if you're willing to pay for a quality experience, then what do people think is the best site?
RayD
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers