Grab Kaz in your keeper leagues!! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Grab Kaz in your keeper leagues!!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Grab Kaz in your keeper leagues!!

Postby mikegp » Thu Sep 16, 2004 11:26 am

Mets confirms that Kaz Matsui is moving to second base next season. Since 2B is realativly shallow this will be awesome, especially if you already own Matsui in a keeper league. Personally I think Matsui is going to have a great season next year. What do you guys think?

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/news/ ... &fext=.jsp
mikegp
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby raiders_umpire » Thu Sep 16, 2004 12:45 pm

even with the move to a shallower position he really did not show me enough this year for me to be even thinking about naming him a keeper in any of my leagues......

5x5 stats

62 runs, 7 hrs, 41 rbis, 13 sbs, and 275 BA

nothing there too impressive too me......but he could improve his numbers with a 2nd year in MLB, but he would need to improve quite a bit imo.......
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Hbj79 » Thu Sep 16, 2004 1:07 pm

Yeah, but those numbers are over 400 ab's and so he will still be a ok option at 2B (if he improves at all he will be a mid-tier 2b). I picked up Chris Burke as a potential keeper for next year. I'm really hoping that Ryan Freel will get one more game in at 2b so he will qualify in my league next year and I can keep him(15 games).
An unemployed jester is nobody's fool.

[b]25[/b]
Hbj79
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby thetongueofire » Thu Sep 16, 2004 2:04 pm

not many people are going to be keeping him unless their league allows for lots of keepers. but he'll kinda make a good sleeper type of guy next season. 2B is so shallow.
[size=10]Manny Ramirez....$20 million
Pedro Martinez....$17.5 million
Curt Schilling...$12 million (and a $2 million bonus)
Never hearing a Yankee fan chant 1918 again...priceless. [/size]
thetongueofire
General Manager
General Manager

Postby mikcou » Thu Sep 16, 2004 2:39 pm

thetongueofire wrote:not many people are going to be keeping him unless their league allows for lots of keepers. but he'll kinda make a good sleeper type of guy next season. 2B is so shallow.

exactly unless your keeping 10 people or so id be suprised to see matsui as a keeper but he could be a great value in some drafts next year ;-D
mikcou
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby hybrid » Thu Sep 16, 2004 2:42 pm

Just reading the heading, I would of swore this would of been about Kazmir. ;-) Like most have said, unless you keep a ton of guys, Matsui isn't keeper material.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby thehat » Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:20 pm

Kaz Matsui and Freel as keepers? Man, you must keep a ton of guys in your league. In the one keeper I'm in, we keep seven. I own Freel and I won't be keeping him, and Matsui wouldn't even be a consideration. If he blossoms, you made yourself a great move, but I'll go with the more proven goods myself.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby tmoney » Thu Sep 16, 2004 5:21 pm

Kaz will probably fall pretty deep in drafts next year (at least a few rounds later than this year). I dont think it would be wise to keep Kaz, or Freel, because they will be around next year in most drafts when you want them (unless they have an amazing spring training). Just wait for Kaz to slip in the draft and grab him that way.
tmoney
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Amazinz » Thu Sep 16, 2004 6:12 pm

I agree with most of the other posters. Matsui is probably not worth keeping unless you're in a dynasty or deep keeper.

Here's a good way to look at it: consider the number of keepers you reserve and consider them rounds in your draft. If you keep 5 players then a player is only worth reserving if his value for next year justifies drafting him in the first 5 rounds. Of course you have to make adjustments if you're required to protect players and your lineup sucks. :-)

As for Kaz, a while back, on the WFAN, Duquette pretty much admitted that this was the plan for next year. It makes sense because Reyes is the better Shortstop. If you watched Kaz a lot and you're familiar with his range and his deficiencies it stands to reason that 2B will play to his strong suit. I think he can become an excellent 2B and fantasy-wise he could be very good because of the offensive derth at the position.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Hbj79 » Fri Sep 17, 2004 12:33 am

Guys like Kaz and Freel are probably only keepers in auction formats. In my particular league MI are sparce and a $7 Ryan Freel at 2B would help me out next year (we can keep as many as we want in my league, we just have to add $5 to the players salary).
An unemployed jester is nobody's fool.

[b]25[/b]
Hbj79
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers