Howe Fired - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Howe Fired

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Howe Fired

Postby tmoney » Wed Sep 15, 2004 3:42 pm

Just heard news that Art Howe is fired. Well, he is going to finish this season up and then be fired at the end of the season. Not really suprising, but it is odd that he will finish the year.
tmoney
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Baseballer02 » Wed Sep 15, 2004 3:45 pm

I don't think it matters who the manager of the Mets is, with the seemingly completely morons they have in the front office, I don't see them having a winning season for another 5 years.
Baseballer02
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Wed Sep 15, 2004 5:26 pm

Baseballer02 wrote:I don't think it matters who the manager of the Mets is, with the seemingly completely morons they have in the front office, I don't see them having a winning season for another 5 years.

I agree, most of the trades (or lackthereof) really have me questioning the compentence of the front office. :-? :-t
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby Mookie4ever » Wed Sep 15, 2004 5:32 pm

SaintsOfTheDiamond wrote:
Baseballer02 wrote:I don't think it matters who the manager of the Mets is, with the seemingly completely morons they have in the front office, I don't see them having a winning season for another 5 years.

I agree, most of the trades (or lackthereof) really have me questioning the compentence of the front office. :-? :-t

It's taken you this long to question their competence?

The Mets are turning into the NY Rangers of baseball.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 268)

Postby Baseballer02 » Wed Sep 15, 2004 5:36 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:
SaintsOfTheDiamond wrote:

It's taken you this long to question their competence?

The Mets are turning into the NY Rangers of baseball.

You mean they're not already? 8-o
Baseballer02
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby LBJackal » Wed Sep 15, 2004 5:37 pm

I thought they were done wasting money on overpaid old guys instead of getting young up-and-comers much cheaper, but I guess not. I have to admit, the Mets fans here convinced me that the managerial change to get a new GM was a positive step, but I don't see much difference....... how long before they trade Reyes for Barry Larkin?

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Baseballer02 » Wed Sep 15, 2004 5:43 pm

LBJackal wrote:I thought they were done wasting money on overpaid old guys instead of getting young up-and-comers much cheaper, but I guess not. I have to admit, the Mets fans here convinced me that the managerial change to get a new GM was a positive step, but I don't see much difference....... how long before they trade Reyes for Barry Larkin?

They'll wait until Larkin announces retirement before they trade for him.
Baseballer02
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby LBJackal » Wed Sep 15, 2004 5:51 pm

Baseballer02 wrote:
LBJackal wrote:I thought they were done wasting money on overpaid old guys instead of getting young up-and-comers much cheaper, but I guess not. I have to admit, the Mets fans here convinced me that the managerial change to get a new GM was a positive step, but I don't see much difference....... how long before they trade Reyes for Barry Larkin?

They'll wait until Larkin announces retirement before they trade for him.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that. They might even try to snag him beforee he retires though, when he is diagnosed with an arthritic knee that will never heal and can't support his body.

LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Lofunzo » Wed Sep 15, 2004 5:58 pm

Fred Wilpon did a 45 minute interview on a sports talk show in NY today and he was getting hammered. It was a little funny. The main problem, according to multiple sources, is that there is a pipeline between the veteran players (ie. Leiter, Glavine, and Franco) and the owners. This completely undermines the manager and the GM.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby LBJackal » Wed Sep 15, 2004 6:07 pm

That would explain why Wilpon fired Valentine himself instead of the GM doing it :-? Not sure if it's common for the owner to do those kinds of things but it doesn't seem reasonable to me. If they want their vets to have the GM duties why don't they just be open about it. Then once they continue to make bad trades and signings the vets can actually be blamed so somebody with actual GM knowledge can do the job.

I feel kinda bad ripping into the Mets like this, but it just means it'll be that much sweeter for their fans when they win the World Series....... in about 100 years :-b

LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers