Any doubt on AL Cy Young? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Any doubt on AL Cy Young?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Jester » Wed Sep 15, 2004 2:09 pm

Only losing twice since the begining of June is pretty consistant and both those losses were 8 innings 2 ER games... and ten strait wins currently...

I just have a hard time giving it to Schilling with how dominant Santana has been... I put up a post last night about how Santana was being pulled in the 7th in many games lately, and the responses made sense: why keep your star pitcher in the game when you don't have to. What if he was left in? Last night he was throwing a two hitter, easily a possible SO. This has been happening alot lately with him, and for good reason...I just don't think this would even be a debate if he was asked to finish what he starts in these games.
Food is an important part of a balanced diet.
Jester
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Any doubt on AL Cy Young?

Postby RayD » Wed Sep 15, 2004 2:41 pm

Jester wrote:I guess it comes down to Santana vs Schilling...

Santana is leading in most cats, and is on a team that is 11.5 games up in their, (though weaker than the BoSox's), division.

Right now he is averaging 1.15 SO/inning...incredible for somone with over 200 innings.

My vote - Santana all the way.

I agree on Santana. But Oliver Perez is averaging 1.24 K/inning, and no one's talking him up for the NL Cy Young.
RayD
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Sep 15, 2004 2:44 pm

Transmogrifier wrote:So is consistency worth anything? Santana truly sucked for April and May. I'm not discounting him as a pitcher, I just don't think he deserves it over Schilling, who has been excellent all year.
Santana has higher highs and lower lows but he has still been the best pitcher this season. Better ERA and WHIP than Schilling for the whole year, not just the last 4 months.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 389)

Postby hybrid » Wed Sep 15, 2004 2:45 pm

RayD wrote:I agree on Santana. But Oliver Perez is averaging 1.24 K/inning, and no one's talking him up for the NL Cy Young.

It may not be fair, but to win the Cy Young you usually have to win a bunch of games and it doesn't hurt to be on a winning team.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Sep 15, 2004 3:14 pm

RayD wrote:I agree on Santana. But Oliver Perez is averaging 1.24 K/inning, and no one's talking him up for the NL Cy Young.
Strikeouts are overrated. Besides Johnson has a better ERA and WHIP with more innings pitched.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 389)

Postby Baseballer02 » Wed Sep 15, 2004 3:20 pm

For those that like to bring up Mr. Perez in the Cy Young talks, I believe Ben Sheets should be considered before him.

My choice for the NL Cy Young at the moment is Carl Pavano.
Baseballer02
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby Jester » Wed Sep 15, 2004 3:26 pm

My NL choice is still Schmidt : similar numbers to Johnson with a much better record...for much of the year, nobody was more dominant in either league.
Food is an important part of a balanced diet.
Jester
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Transmogrifier » Wed Sep 15, 2004 4:07 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
Transmogrifier wrote:So is consistency worth anything? Santana truly sucked for April and May. I'm not discounting him as a pitcher, I just don't think he deserves it over Schilling, who has been excellent all year.
Santana has higher highs and lower lows but he has still been the best pitcher this season. Better ERA and WHIP than Schilling for the whole year, not just the last 4 months.

Perhaps you're right. Perhaps my bias is showing. But I don't understand giving it to someone who truly stunk for two months--era of 5+--and he can be the best pitcher of the year. Clearly he's the best pitcher of the second half. Schilling has kept his team in nearly every game he has pitched. Santana has not.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Baseballer02 » Wed Sep 15, 2004 4:13 pm

Transmogrifier wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:

Perhaps you're right. Perhaps my bias is showing. But I don't understand giving it to someone who truly stunk for two months--era of 5+--and he can be the best pitcher of the year. Clearly he's the best pitcher of the second half. Schilling has kept his team in nearly every game he has pitched. Santana has not.

Look at the win totals, they're only different by one, so wouldn't that mean that Santana has kept his team in nearly just as many games?
Baseballer02
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby Baseballer02 » Wed Sep 15, 2004 4:14 pm

Bah I said something completely wrong with that.
Baseballer02
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers