is this strategy unfair for my opponents - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

is this strategy unfair for my opponents

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby GiantFan666 » Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:05 pm

Madison wrote:
GiantFan666 wrote:This is more or less completely off-topic but pitcher churning questions are to Sept as when is Yahoo starting signups for fantasy baseball is to February!

You know, it might not be a bad idea to make one great big thread dealing with this next year and then just combine any new threads about it into the big thread. I'll give it some thought. :-)

Maybe you could post up a sticky for a "glossary" of common fantasy baseball terms, the ABC's of fantasy baseball so to speak...
and a preseason sticky as well... when does yahoo start?? will it work if I draft all closers... etc etc
GiantFan666
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Fri Sep 17, 2004 12:26 am

Some good ideas here guys. ;-D

I'll see about getting creative this offseason in preparation for next year. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Fireball Express » Fri Sep 17, 2004 12:58 am

Churning = Playing Defense

What would the penalty for breaking this rule be? A tongue lashing on the message board? A Warning?
My commish says he'll lockdown your roster if you pick up and drop more than 2 players per position per day. Problem is some guys qualify at more than 1 position. Our big stink came when a guy picked up 3 Ps yet 2 of them were SP/RPs.

Yahoo uses the terms "improving the owner's team and/or its standing within the league" and "sole purpose is to hamper the play of other owners". If you pick up a player that your opponent would likely pick up (a SP in this case) you are both "hampering" and "improving your standing within the league".
You can never really prove intent, especially if the owner waits before he drops the player instead of doing it immediately.
Fireball Express
General Manager
General Manager

Postby LBJackal » Fri Sep 17, 2004 1:06 am

Right, it's hard to prove intent. But when you're playing agaisnt a guy H2H, and you stop him from adding multiple SP's every day by churning, what does logic tell you the churner's motive is? To help himself win. That's quite obvious.

It's a very cheap way to play so I understand why so many people think it's illegal in public Yahoo leagues. But I guess we all learned a lesson - make sure we have rules against it in all of our private leagues!

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Lofunzo » Fri Sep 17, 2004 1:57 am

What some people fail to realize is the clear difference. There is a big difference between picking up 2 SP's a day and then dropping them the next day after you have used them and picking up a player and dropping him immediately for the sole purpose of not letting someone else pick that player up. :-?

If people want to pick apart the semantics of what Yahoo wrote, then so be it. In the least, it is morally wrong and I like to win the right way.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 18)

Postby ukrneal » Fri Sep 17, 2004 2:25 am

I just posted this on one of the other churning/spot starting threads, but I can't accept a definition of spot starting to refer to the regular use of FA starters. Spot, in this case, means occassional. The M-W dictionary even has a definition:

"e : performing occasionally when needed <chance of making the... varsity as a spot starter and relief pitcher -- N. Y. Times>"

Even the expression: 'Regular Spot Starting' is odd because it means regular occassional starting.
Last edited by ukrneal on Fri Sep 17, 2004 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
ukrneal
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Madison » Fri Sep 17, 2004 2:57 am

Fireball Express wrote:What would the penalty for breaking this rule be? A tongue lashing on the message board? A Warning?

Actually, Yahoo can delete your entire account. Fantasy leagues, mail, etc. Right there on the rules page:

These restrictions may include:

The suspension of specific game privileges (trading, message board posting, etc.) for the remainder of the season.
The suspension of all playing privileges for the remainder of the season.
The complete deactivation and removal of the corresponding Yahoo! account.
Any other action that Yahoo!, at its sole discretion, feels is necessary to restore fair play to the league.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers