is this strategy unfair for my opponents - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

is this strategy unfair for my opponents

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

is this strategy unfair for my opponents

Postby prose749 » Wed Sep 15, 2004 3:51 am

I am in a h2h money league that pays really well.

We have no limit on innings pitched for some reason and it could hurt me. My opponent is picking up pitchers everyday to fill his starting rotation. If he does this he will win k, wins for sure. His team is built around hitting(he will probly win every category)and just needs to pull off one pitching category to win. Would it be wrong if I picked up every available pitcher each day and then dropped him so they would be unavailable and he could not use them. Would that be wrong on my behalf or just good strategy? I don't want to be an ass but don't want to lose the money. He is using the no limit innings against me why couldn't I use this against him?
prose749
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 33)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby shortsavage » Wed Sep 15, 2004 5:49 am

I believe that moves along the lines that you speak of would be far more unethical than your opponent’s frequent pickups. We are well into the season now. If someone was using a strategy that you believe put him or her at a huge advantage, you should have evolved and tried to use it too. Knowing the rules since day one, you may disagree with the way that they were constructed, but I see it more honorable to settle for a lower finish than skew things and perhaps muddy up relationships.

Biting your tongue for the moment, you should have plenty of heat to bring when it comes time to formulate the league's rules for next season.
Mike Pelfrey > Matt Garza
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby raiders_umpire » Wed Sep 15, 2004 7:36 am

shortsavage wrote:I believe that moves along the lines that you speak of would be far more unethical than your opponent’s frequent pickups. We are well into the season now. If someone was using a strategy that you believe put him or her at a huge advantage, you should have evolved and tried to use it too. Knowing the rules since day one, you may disagree with the way that they were constructed, but I see it more honorable to settle for a lower finish than skew things and perhaps muddy up relationships.

Biting your tongue for the moment, you should have plenty of heat to bring when it comes time to formulate the league's rules for next season.

i agree here as well ;-D
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Mugrila » Wed Sep 15, 2004 7:52 am

picking up players and dropping them so another team cannot use them is called roster churning and it is against the rules. what he's doing is within the rules but it sometimes backfires.
Mugrila
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby Hbj79 » Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:07 am

I don't think he mentioned what kind of league he is in. Therefore it seems to me that referring to "the rules" makes no sense. Obviously there are no universal rules that apply to all fantasy baseball pools.
An unemployed jester is nobody's fool.

[b]25[/b]
Hbj79
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby ensanimal » Wed Sep 15, 2004 11:33 am

ensanimal

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 112)

Postby AcidRock23 » Wed Sep 15, 2004 11:41 am

I don't really think that this is an effective strategy as sooner or later, he will guess wrong and get smoked. If he's been lucky for a while, he's probably about due to lose.

If you want to stop him from getting particular guys though, what you might do that I wouldn't have a problem with ethically, would be to drop some of your scrub hitters, pick his dudes up and play them in your lineup, even benching your 'allstars' to do so.
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby Lofunzo » Wed Sep 15, 2004 12:02 pm

Hbj79 wrote:I don't think he mentioned what kind of league he is in. Therefore it seems to me that referring to "the rules" makes no sense. Obviously there are no universal rules that apply to all fantasy baseball pools.

Actually, it doesn't matter to me what type of league it is but he did mention it was H2H. As was mentioned, this is called churning and it is against the rules in Yahoo leagues. If he isn't playing a Yahoo league, then it is unethical at best.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Irish » Wed Sep 15, 2004 12:44 pm

I think you should do it. He's taking advantage of the rules, you should do the same thing. It's too bad your commish put no IP limit. :-t
Irish
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby The Jury » Wed Sep 15, 2004 12:52 pm

AcidRock23 wrote:I don't really think that this is an effective strategy as sooner or later, he will guess wrong and get smoked. If he's been lucky for a while, he's probably about due to lose.

If you want to stop him from getting particular guys though, what you might do that I wouldn't have a problem with ethically, would be to drop some of your scrub hitters, pick his dudes up and play them in your lineup, even benching your 'allstars' to do so.

The cheap dude in this guy's league can't really "guess wrong" as he is just going for the categories which are totals, such as strikeouts and wins.

The solution to this for next season is either a transactions or IP limit, but I'm not sure what the immediate solution is :-?
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers