Economics 2106 - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Economics 2106

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby cafe_58 » Sat Sep 18, 2004 2:26 am

stomperrob wrote:
cafe_58 wrote:Just curious JTWoods, I am in my last year of Univeristy and will graduate with a degree in Economics with a minor in Management. I haven't heard many good things about the job prospects from people with Economic degrees. I don't want to steal the thread or make this guidance night at the cafe, but I was wondering what you are planning to do with an Economics degree.

At good ol' U of C??? I got my degree in Economics there - Class of '74 (guess that makes me one of the old farts here, lol).

Yup, at the good ol' U of C! Please tell me something good stomperobb. I have a few friends that graduated already with their Econ degree and they're doing what I use to do: telemarketing. :-P I think i'm going to go teach english overseas for a year or two, but i'll have to face the "real" world sooner or later.

Edit: reading the previous posts about how sales oriented the finance field made me think about my time as a telemarketer. The money was great, especially for a student (roughly $20/hour), but I couldn't handle the stress it brought during the school year. It definitely takes a certain personality to sell over the phone, and I imagine that this applies to the financial planning industry.
Last edited by cafe_58 on Sat Sep 18, 2004 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
cafe_58
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: You can find me in da dome, chillin wit Jarome.......

Postby cafe_58 » Sat Sep 18, 2004 2:44 am

slomo007 wrote:Another option for Finance degrees is the banking side. Commercial banking is where a lot of money is, so I hear. I don't personally know much about the field, but I know it's out there.

Also, starting off working in a bank branch and working your way to branch manager or higher isn't a bad route either.

By the way, thanks for the insight from JT and CM...nothing like hearing it from the horse's mouth.

Yeah, thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread. It gives me a little more insight to why i'm getting out of bed for my 8am classes. ;-D ;-D ;-D
cafe_58
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: You can find me in da dome, chillin wit Jarome.......

Postby stomperrob » Sat Sep 18, 2004 3:59 am

cafe_58 wrote:
stomperrob wrote:
cafe_58 wrote:Just curious JTWoods, I am in my last year of Univeristy and will graduate with a degree in Economics with a minor in Management. I haven't heard many good things about the job prospects from people with Economic degrees. I don't want to steal the thread or make this guidance night at the cafe, but I was wondering what you are planning to do with an Economics degree.

At good ol' U of C??? I got my degree in Economics there - Class of '74 (guess that makes me one of the old farts here, lol).

Yup, at the good ol' U of C! Please tell me something good stomperobb. I have a few friends that graduated already with their Econ degree and they're doing what I use to do: telemarketing. :-P I think i'm going to go teach english overseas for a year or two, but i'll have to face the "real" world sooner or later.

Edit: reading the previous posts about how sales oriented the finance field made me think about my time as a telemarketer. The money was great, especially for a student (roughly $20/hour), but I couldn't handle the stress it brought during the school year. It definitely takes a certain personality to sell over the phone, and I imagine that this applies to the financial planning industry.

I'm not a good example - I didn't put my degree to good use, lol! Well, at first I did - went into the personnel field for a couple years - not a bad area to get into (my old boss started his own executive search company and did really well). I got really bored with the whole 8 - 4, suit and tie, punch a clock routine - at that age I was an adrenaline junkie and wanted some excitement in my life so I decided to join the police - ended up liking it and stayed and retired after 26 years and I'm a stay at home Mr. Mom right now. There's actually good opportunities there in the expanding area of commercial crime - one of my buddies worked in that area and retired after 25 years, has a computer business, and also works full time as a fraud investigator for the stock market so he has 3 incomes now! It's not for everyone but I loved it. Back when I graduated it was easier to get a job with a B. Comm. - Econ was too theoretical and Commerce was considered more practical - don't know if it's still like that. One thing I had the opportunity to do that I wished I had done was to go to Australia and work for a year - at that time they were desperate for people in all sorts of fields and sponsored you to go over there - getting to see another part of the world is a valuable education so you would be wise to do that (plus now is the time to do it befoe you settle into an occupation, get married, have kids, and then then you never get around to doing it.
Anyway, good luck with whatever you decide to do!

(and good luck in our FF league!)
Still holds the MLB record for Grand Slams with 23
stomperrob
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Football ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Previous

Return to General Talk