Economics 2106 - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Economics 2106

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Economics 2106

Postby Baseballer02 » Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:07 pm

My Economics 2106 course has me so pissed off at the moment. The class has seemed like a cakewalk the first couple weeks, 'cuz everything that's been discussed I've already known from taking Economics last year in high school. Well the first quiz is available today on the teacher's coursecompass site, and half the crap on it he has neither discussed in class nor told us to read. I'm livid at the moment, as this is complete BS.
Baseballer02
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby JTWood » Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:14 pm

Sorry, but with all due respect, what did you expect from a subject based almost entirely on theory (at least at the macro level)?
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Baseballer02 » Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:19 pm

JTWood wrote:Sorry, but with all due respect, what did you expect from a subject based almost entirely on theory (at least at the macro level)?

This is Microeconomics. So far all we've done is Production Possibilities, Marginal Benefits, Supply, Demand, etc. Nothing hard or confusing.
Baseballer02
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby JTWood » Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:22 pm

Oh. Well, let me rephrase:

Stop your bitching. It's only going to get harder.

:-D

j/k... I'm working on a second B.S. (econ/fin), and I feel your pain my good man. Just keep your nose down and fight through it. One day, you'll be very grateful that you didn't quit.

;-D
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Baseballer02 » Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:25 pm

JTWood wrote:Oh. Well, let me rephrase:

Stop your bitching. It's only going to get harder.

:-D

j/k... I'm working on a second B.S. (econ/fin), and I feel your pain my good man. Just keep your nose down and fight through it. One day, you'll be very grateful that you didn't quit.

;-D

I'm actually majoring in Finance at the moment, but am considering switching my major to economics. For some reason, I've been very skilled with business studies, so it's very frustrating for me to only have a 70 on what should be the easiest quiz for the class.

BTW, what career fields are there for a degree in finance? I haven't done much research on it, but read in my college catalog that finance majors usually end up starting out with high paying jobs.
Baseballer02
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby JTWood » Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:31 pm

To be honest, the only finance majors I know are now either a) working for Edward Jones (St. Louis is its HQ) or b) an accountant.

Depending on what you consider "high paying," both of those fields start out pretty well with pretty good job security (a little more of the latter for the accountants, I believe).
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Baseballer02 » Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:34 pm

JTWood wrote:To be honest, the only finance majors I know are now either a) working for Edward Jones (St. Louis is its HQ) or b) an accountant.

Depending on what you consider "high paying," both of those fields start out pretty well with pretty good job security (a little more of the latter for the accountants, I believe).

I think i might've heard of Edward Jones, is it a mutual fund company? It seems to me the accounting majors would be accountants. :-?

My uncle I believe graduated with a finance degree and currently works for E*Trade. I myself had planned on maybe being a financial advisor, but I haven't done enough research on the different career choices to make a decision.
Baseballer02
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby JTWood » Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:42 pm

Baseballer02 wrote:
JTWood wrote:To be honest, the only finance majors I know are now either a) working for Edward Jones (St. Louis is its HQ) or b) an accountant.

I think i might've heard of Edward Jones, is it a mutual fund company? It seems to me the accounting majors would be accountants. :-?

My uncle I believe graduated with a finance degree and currently works for E*Trade. I myself had planned on maybe being a financial advisor, but I haven't done enough research on the different career choices to make a decision.

Edward Jones is personal investment company.

Accountants, like me, are indeed accountants, but there are a lot of job openings in the accounting industry.

As for advising, my father is a CFP. He wanted me to take over his independent advising business, but there are some characteristics of the business that just weren't my cup of tea.

For one, you have to get your own clients, which means being a good salesman. I don't like to "convince" people to say yes, so that's one strike.

Second, the field is very cyclic. You do great in good and average markets, but in bad markets, you don't have a friend - and it's really not your fault. That's strike two. I didn't really want to go looking for strike three, so I opted with the safe industry and became a private accountant - cost accountant, to be precise. I love it.

So you have to have some tough skin, resolve, and the ability to save in the good times to be a personal advisor. I will say, though, that having worked for my father, the field is nothing if not fun. You get to watch other people get wealthy while you do, too. That's assuming you're good at it, though. What's not to like about that?
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Baseballer02 » Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:46 pm

I realize that if you start your own financial advisement company, building a client base will be hard. But if you found a job with an already established advisement firm, would they not bring the clients to you?
Baseballer02
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby JTWood » Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:48 pm

I guess that depends on who you work for. Jones makes you hit the street, but then, over time, gives you bigger, longer-standing clients. You have more competition at a place like Jones, though, and some people particularly enjoy the one-to-one attention that a private establishment offers.

It's really in how you want to ply your trade. Both options are viable, but you're still heavily susceptible to market risk because of the nature of the business.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to General Talk