Got my first speeding ticket yesterday - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Got my first speeding ticket yesterday

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Chopper » Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:53 pm

I decided long ago that the best way out of a ticket was to not get it written in the first place. I get stopped somewhat regularly because I have very little regard for any speed limt (except in school zones, where I'm a bit anal.)

I've only gotten two speeding tickets in 25 years of speeding, but I've been stopped many dozens of times.
Number one rule, I don't care how pissed off you are or how much of a d!ck the cop is, Suck Up! And then suck up some more.
2. Give a couple bucks to the local policeman's association every year so they send you a cool little badge sticker to put on your window. Put it where they can see it walking up. Back or side (passenger side in most states now). Can't hurt.
3. Pull over quickly without screwing up traffic around you. Females, its perfectly fine to continue slowly to a well-lighted or populated area if you have a bad feeling about an un-marked car pulling you over.
4. As soon as you're pulled over, stop the engine quickly. Take the keys out of the ignition and put them on the dash where the cop can see them. Then put both hands on the steering wheel, also where they can be seen. I've been out with police on patrols and stopping a strange car, especially at night, can be a very nerve-wracking experience for even the most experienced cop. There's too many freaks out there. It is scary. Make the cop feel at ease.
5. Do not reach to the glove box for registration, title, etc. before the cop is at your window. Again, he can't tell what you're reaching for from behind your car. Under no circumstances, should you appear to be reaching under the seat. You can't be doing anything good. To someone behind or walking up to your car, you're either hiding something or reaching for a weapon.
6. When pulling out your license, don't hesitate to flash some respectable ID. School ID, military ID, Legion card, whatever. Any of these could establish a slight semblance of respectability in the policeman's eyes.
7. Be respectful. Suck up. Do not mouth off. There is no way this can help your cause.
Blessed are the cheesemakers.
Chopper
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby JTWood » Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:05 pm

We here in Illinois and Missouri (I live on the border in St. Louis) have the "take a class" thing where you take a class, get 3-9 months of probation (i.e. - don't get another ticket), and in return the ticket never hits your record. No points. No insurance increase. Nada. Very nice, but the class is usually about $100 - $150 depending on the jursidiction.

As for getting out of a ticket, I highly recommend joining the military. I actually told a cop that he shouldn't have pulled me over because a) I wasn't really going too fast, and b) I'd ran that same speed trap at much faster speeds without getting pulled over and he still let me go because I also dropped that I was currently in the military.

See, risking your life for your country has some advantages!

:-D
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Nomar4prez » Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:06 pm

Chopper wrote:I decided long ago that the best way out of a ticket was to not get it written in the first place. I get stopped somewhat regularly because I have very little regard for any speed limt (except in school zones, where I'm a bit anal.)

I've only gotten two speeding tickets in 25 years of speeding, but I've been stopped many dozens of times.
Number one rule, I don't care how pissed off you are or how much of a d!ck the cop is, Suck Up! And then suck up some more.
2. Give a couple bucks to the local policeman's association every year so they send you a cool little badge sticker to put on your window. Put it where they can see it walking up. Back or side (passenger side in most states now). Can't hurt.
3. Pull over quickly without screwing up traffic around you. Females, its perfectly fine to continue slowly to a well-lighted or populated area if you have a bad feeling about an un-marked car pulling you over.
4. As soon as you're pulled over, stop the engine quickly. Take the keys out of the ignition and put them on the dash where the cop can see them. Then put both hands on the steering wheel, also where they can be seen. I've been out with police on patrols and stopping a strange car, especially at night, can be a very nerve-wracking experience for even the most experienced cop. There's too many freaks out there. It is scary. Make the cop feel at ease.
5. Do not reach to the glove box for registration, title, etc. before the cop is at your window. Again, he can't tell what you're reaching for from behind your car. Under no circumstances, should you appear to be reaching under the seat. You can't be doing anything good. To someone behind or walking up to your car, you're either hiding something or reaching for a weapon.
6. When pulling out your license, don't hesitate to flash some respectable ID. School ID, military ID, Legion card, whatever. Any of these could establish a slight semblance of respectability in the policeman's eyes.
7. Be respectful. Suck up. Do not mouth off. There is no way this can help your cause.

All great advice, but remember to also always say "Sir." And actually try to act nervous a little. Not too much, but maybe avoid eye contact. And NEVER say anything like, "I'm sorry, I was in a hurry to get somewhere. I'm already late." DUH! He knows that.
[url]http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/stats/player.php?id=453973[/url]
Going to huge someday.
Nomar4prez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby JTWood » Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:09 pm

Oh, I meant to add that I have heard the same stories about cops not showing up so the charges get dropped (the story goes that without a witness, they cannot prosecute). I've never risked it because you have to pay the court fees along with the ticket if the cop does show. Also, I've never known anyone to personally tell me that they've done that with success.

Just my $.02.

Good luck and sorry about the ticket. If it makes you feel any better, I got my first one in about 3 years the other day - 12 MPH over. What a load of crap. I hate Labor Day. I don't even drink - anymore.

:~(
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Baseballer02 » Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:09 pm

I was pulled over for 66 in a 45 the other day, and so told the cop that I had just gotten new tires on my car and that I thought the shop had put on the wrong size tires. It sorta worked, he dropped the speeding charge and changed it to Too Fast for Conditions, which puts no points on my license. ;-D
Baseballer02
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby Baseballer02 » Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:10 pm

JTWood wrote:Oh, I meant to add that I have heard the same stories about cops not showing up so the charges get dropped (the story goes that without a witness, they cannot prosecute). I've never risked it because you have to pay the court fees along with the ticket if the cop does show. Also, I've never known anyone to personally tell me that they've done that with success.

Just my $.02.

Good luck and sorry about the ticket. If it makes you feel any better, I got my first one in about 3 years the other day - 12 MPH over. What a load of crap. I hate Labor Day. I don't even drink - anymore.

:~(

Hmmm, when I went to court for my speeding ticket I had no court fees to pay. Just the fine for the ticket. But that could be because I was only 16 at the time so it was in Juvenile Court, not traffic court.
Baseballer02
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby LBJackal » Wed Sep 15, 2004 1:32 am

I've been pulled over once, and it was a few years ago - I was maybe 17. I got my license not too long beforehand, and was going about 90 or 100 in a 60 (this is KM/H, not miles). I was also racing a truck, accused of reckless driving, speeding, yada yada yada, anyways a lot of stuff. I just said I was being stupid and the cop (it was a chick) said I was lucky that I just got my license, so she let me off the hook with a warning. Last time I ever did anything stupid like that.

Also, my uncle is a cop and says no matter how nice people act, he doens't cut them any slack. Those are the same people who are the biggest bitches when you actually write them the ticket (according to him). He's also never writtena ticket to anyone over the age of 65 because they've paid enough taxes - although he does recommend for their licenses to be revoked/have a new driving test, or something like taht if they're too old to drive properly.

Oh yeah, and one time my friend was driving down a road going about 30-40 over the limit, and told me to take over the wheel from the passenger seat, while he put his hands over his eyes. What a moron............. anyways, he went through two stop signs and a cop was at the second one (there are always cops there, but he ignored my warning). No way in hell of him getting off the hook for that one. I think he paid a pretty hefty fine and had to deal with an insurance hike and points against his license. They didn't suspend his license though (not that his parents would let him drive anymore, anyways)

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Arlo » Wed Sep 15, 2004 4:10 am

Baseballer02 wrote:Here in GA, we have a plea called "No-Lo," which seems to be the same as no contest.

That's the abbreviation for "No sir, it was Lofunzo's fault." If you plead that, you get off the hook and Lo gets charged instead. :-D

Nomar4prez wrote:All great advice, but remember to also always say "Sir."

Note: exercise caution with female officers. ;-)
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Lofunzo » Wed Sep 15, 2004 11:49 am

Arlo wrote:
Baseballer02 wrote:Here in GA, we have a plea called "No-Lo," which seems to be the same as no contest.

That's the abbreviation for "No sir, it was Lofunzo's fault." If you plead that, you get off the hook and Lo gets charged instead. :-D

:-D :-D

I would also add that I have been told that it helps to know what rank the person is and refer to them by that. You can tell by looking at their patch on their arm (I believe).
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 18)

Postby Madison » Wed Sep 15, 2004 2:51 pm

Arlo wrote:

Lol. :-b Good ones! ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk