Got my first speeding ticket yesterday - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Got my first speeding ticket yesterday

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Got my first speeding ticket yesterday

Postby Rirruto » Tue Sep 14, 2004 6:24 pm

I was doing 75 in a 55 while driving to school (Binghamton) and did not see the cop at all. Got a ticket but I mailed in pleading not guilty because alot of my friends have done that and get the case dismissed because the cop didn't show up or somebody else gives you a lesser charge if it's your first offense. Does anyone have any experience with this or tips on how to do go about my court date? I live in NY by the way.
Rirruto
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Tue Sep 14, 2004 6:30 pm

Wow. Completely dismissed? Doesn't work that way here in Texas, that's for sure. You can plead "not guilty" and go to trial, but in the majority of those cases the defendant is found guilty and the entire bill is billed to them along with it going on their driving record (meaning higher insurance premiums). That's the risk of going to court with it here.

Everyone I know pleads "no contest" and takes defensive driving to get a cheaper price on the ticket and keep it off their driving records. B-)

Sorry to hear about the ticket though. :-/
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Rirruto » Tue Sep 14, 2004 6:44 pm

Most of my friends who have gotten tickets work something out with someone there to get the charge reduced to something different other than speeding. What's this "no contest" thing? We only have a choice of guilty or not guilty. If you pick guilty you automatically just get a fine and points on your license.
Rirruto
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Amazinz » Tue Sep 14, 2004 6:52 pm

"No Contest" is a way to plead guilty without admitting guilt. It was an option in NY when I lived there.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Madison » Tue Sep 14, 2004 6:56 pm

Rirruto wrote:Most of my friends who have gotten tickets work something out with someone there to get the charge reduced to something different other than speeding. What's this "no contest" thing? We only have a choice of guilty or not guilty. If you pick guilty you automatically just get a fine and points on your license.

Hmm....a different charge? That's interesting. :-?

"No contest" is that you don't feel like it's a big enough thing to take to court. You are not saying that you are guilty, but you are not saying that you are innocent either. Just that it's not worth your time and it's small enough of a thing to you to just do what you need to in order to get rid of it. In this case, taking 6 hours of defensive driving on a Saturday and paying a much lesser fine, is easier than going to court, plus you eliminate the risk of being found guilty and being stuck with the full bill along with the black mark on your driving record.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Tavish » Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:09 pm

There are usually tons of law firms that strictly handle driving tickets. For a first offense they can almost always get the charges either reduced or dropped (for a small fee of course). Normally you have to take a driving class as part of the courts order, but it keeps it off of your driving record.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

Postby Baseballer02 » Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:17 pm

My first ticket was for 70 in a 35 a couple years ago, 6 months after I got my license. I plead not guilty, but then my parents wouldn't help me get a lawyer, so at my court appearance I changed the plea to guilty. You bet your ass if it was 20 mph over the speed limit the cop will be there at court. As long as you were respectful to the officer you should get the speed dropped a few MPH. Mine got dropped down to 60 in a 35, which still left me with a suspended license.

Here in GA, we have a plea called "No-Lo," which seems to be the same as no contest.
Baseballer02
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:30 pm

Baseballer02 wrote:Here in GA, we have a plea called "No-Lo," which seems to be the same as no contest.

No-Lo?? 8-o I thought we were cool. :-D
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Chopper » Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:34 pm

Nolo contendere - Latin for "No Contest"
Blessed are the cheesemakers.
Chopper
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Kingsac » Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:45 pm

well when I got my first ticket I just appealed the ticket and they gave me a court date. I didn't have to enter a plea, just say I was appealing it. the cop didn't show up so they threw the ticket out, completely off my record. However with my 2nd and 3rd ticket the cop did show up and I had to stand there and have him tell the judge what I had done. he asked me if it was all true and I said Yes, however I wasn't going 89 i was going 82 and the judge said fine, and reduced the ticket to 82, lowering the fine a little, but i still got the point on my record. I live in California, and if a cop shows up he gets paid for his appearence I found this out standing in line from one of the officers. Contest all tickets, at the worst you will pay for it, at best it will be tossed out no questions asked, or you could plead guilty to a lesser speed and maybe get your ticket reduced. Bottom line, fight your ticket.
A's all wAyS
Kingsac
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to General Talk