Finding spyware on the computer? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Finding spyware on the computer?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Mugrila » Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:33 pm

Lofunzo wrote:Some might think that it's overkill but it's a good idea to run multiple spyware proggies.

multiple spyware programs are good, but i recently learned its not good to run more than one virus program. makes the computer run slower and freeze every now and then. (i didn't mean to have both on there but the computer came with norton and the network i'm on has mcafee) :-)
Mugrila
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby nuggets » Sat Apr 16, 2005 3:57 am

Madison wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:Some might think that it's overkill but it's a good idea to run multiple spyware proggies. They each catch some that the others don't. Keep in mind that all of these can be found on http://www.download.com for free. I highly recommend SpywareBlaster 3.2. It doesn't remove them but rather blocks them from making it to your computer. The others that I have are Ad-Aware 6.0, Spybot S&D, SpySweeper, and Pest Patrol. In the least, I would recommend the bolded ones.

Good luck. ;-D

Good post Lo. ;-D

Spybot and Ad-Aware work very well. ;-D

You will find tracking cookies, data miners, and a few other similar things occasionally.

There are many imitations of Ad-Aware and SpySweeper, BE CAREFUL and get the originals. Spybot is nice. I have found a new spyware program Big brother has come out with his version: http://www.microsoft.com/athome/securit ... fault.mspx
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

Postby pokernsports » Tue Apr 19, 2005 8:27 pm

Lavasoft Ad-aware is really good. It finds most stuff for me.
pokernsports
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:48 am

nuggets wrote:There are many imitations of Ad-Aware and SpySweeper, BE CAREFUL and get the originals. Spybot is nice. I have found a new spyware program Big brother has come out with his version: http://www.microsoft.com/athome/securit ... fault.mspx
MS Beta is great. ;-D ;-D IMO it blow AdAware and Spybot out of the water. My computer has never been so free of spyware before. My guess is it works so well cause MS didn't make it they just bought it off of Giant. :-D
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 353)

Postby Lofunzo » Wed Apr 20, 2005 12:55 pm

I actually had a few problems with the MS beta. Made my computer run funny. I would also like to remind everyone to clean out their registry. A lot of these bugs are attracted to correct registry keys.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby nuggets » Sat Apr 23, 2005 5:09 pm

Lofunzo wrote:I actually had a few problems with the MS beta. Made my computer run funny. I would also like to remind everyone to clean out their registry. A lot of these bugs are attracted to correct registry keys.

Any advice on free registry doctors?
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Amazinz » Sat Apr 23, 2005 11:41 pm

nuggets wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:I actually had a few problems with the MS beta. Made my computer run funny. I would also like to remind everyone to clean out their registry. A lot of these bugs are attracted to correct registry keys.

Any advice on free registry doctors?

Not the best but it's very good for a free reg cleaner: http://personal.inet.fi/business/toniarts/ecleane.htm

And a free reg compactor (requires .NET framework):
http://experimentalscene.com/?type=1&id=1
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Lofunzo » Sun Apr 24, 2005 2:37 am

I have a nice registry cleaner if anyone is interested. Just shoot me a PM. :-)
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby RynMan » Sun Apr 24, 2005 6:30 am

Best thing to do as stated earlier is just not use IE. I use Mozilla and its great. Then use the spyware scanning programs etc. If your browser gets hijacked it can get ugly. I have had my browser hijacked (where you cant revert the homepage to watever u want it to be) several times, the best place to go is this page and check out how to get rid of it.

http://www.spywareinfo.com/
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Payne Dailey » Sun Apr 24, 2005 1:02 pm

Lofunzo wrote:I have a nice registry cleaner if anyone is interested. Just shoot me a PM. :-)

crap cleaner?
Payne Dailey
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk