J.D. Drew is playing today?!?!?!?! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

J.D. Drew is playing today?!?!?!?!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby jdh » Tue Apr 22, 2003 12:54 am

Pujols only makes 900,000 this year. How can they justify spending so many times more money for Drew than for Pujols?/
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wrveres » Tue Apr 22, 2003 2:52 am

jdh wrote:Pujols only makes 900,000 this year. How can they justify spending so many times more money for Drew than for Pujols?/

Darren Dreifort RHP LAD Signed Dec 2000 - 5 years/$55M
    2001: $9.0M (+$2.0M signing bonus)
    2002: $9.0M
    2003: $11.0M
    2004: $11.0M
    2005: $13.0M

and I bet he is on some wires too.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 687)

Postby Jack-In-A-Box » Tue Apr 22, 2003 12:10 pm

Anonymous wrote:He's spoiled b/c he held out for more money? You do realize this is his job and that what he did was genius. He knew what he could get and he got it. He's a smart business man. And don't kid yourself, this is a business and most of the players only care about the money. There are only 3-4 teams each year that could win the World Series, so everyone is playing for themselves.

I have no problem with a guy getting what he's worth. Drew never even played one game and demanded to be paid millions. Never even proved his value. Now all he's doing is DL trip to DL trip. They asked what kinda company is he in. So now they know.
Jack-In-A-Box
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby HOOTIE » Tue Apr 22, 2003 10:37 pm

Drews career is far from over. Whiles he hasnt lived up too standards, he has talent. His career ops is quite a bit better then Ichiros. Of course you have to play to help your team, but he has talent.
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby DGroundhog » Tue Apr 22, 2003 11:10 pm

trippinonreality wrote:any team that he can actually help probably doesn't have a chance to contend anyway

Nothing like a butt-headed blanket statement to prove your ignorance.

[b][size=18]70*[/size][/b]
* Steroid induced record
DGroundhog
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby SoCalRebel » Wed Apr 23, 2003 4:10 pm

eagles157 wrote:JAck.. next time research on the guy before going off with these false comments. In 2001 J.D. only played in only 109 games but hit .323 with 27 homers and 87 ribbies. I would say that that was a very large show of talent. Last year he played almost every game but had something wrong with his knee so he didn't do too well. He got that fixed this offseason and I think he can get back to hi '01 form and possibly a lot better than that. I say that if he puts his injury behind him than he could very well be in the ranks of Berkman,Ichiro,Chipper and even Pujols. And this is a lot coming from a die hard phills fan

I still think eagles is right. Drew is still young and I bet all of you haters were high on him after his 2001 season. Now you either had him last year and he hurt you, or your a disgruntled phillies fan. Injuries suck. However just because a guy has been injury prone, he could go the rest of his days without getting injured again. Its all a gamble. Its a gamble im willing to take. Hes a back up on my team but better mine then some other guys. When hes healthy he'll put up the numbers.
SoCalRebel
College Coach
College Coach

Postby trippinonreality » Wed Apr 23, 2003 4:37 pm

DGroundhog wrote:

Nothing like a butt-headed blanket statement to prove your ignor
ance

what I am saying is that he wouldn't even have a place on my team because of the production I get from my other players and if you have a roster spot for him than

A. You play in a 24 team mixed league
or
B. Your team sucks and if you were in my league than I'd already be mopping the floor with your sorry squad.

most likely the answer you'd give me is a huge resounding B
trippinonreality
College Coach
College Coach

Postby SoCalRebel » Wed Apr 23, 2003 4:43 pm

C Rodriguez, Ivan (C-Fla)
1B Helton, Todd (1B-Col)
2B Kent, Jeff (2B-Hou)
3B Pujols, Albert (LF, 3B, 1B-StL)
SS Renteria, Edgar (SS-StL)
OF Kearns, Austin (RF-Cin)
OF Pierre, Juan (CF-Fla)
OF Wilson, Preston (CF-Col)
Util Vidro, Jose (2B-Mon
Bench Huff, Aubrey (DH, 1B-TB0
Bench Drew, J.D.

SP Hudson, Tim (SP-Oak)
SP Halladay, Roy (SP-Tor)
RP Williamson, Scott (RP-Cin)
P Benson, Chris (SP-Pit)
P Prior, Mark (SP-ChC)
P Beckett, Josh (SP-Fla)
P Looper, Braden (RP-Fla)
Bench Brown, Kevin (SP, RP-LA)
Bench Mantei, Matt (RP-ARZ)

Well i found room for him on my 12 team H2H, team. I dont think you would mop up against my team but hey.

Sorry forgot that i have crede took while Pujols is injured. :~(
Last edited by SoCalRebel on Wed Apr 23, 2003 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SoCalRebel
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Super GM » Wed Apr 23, 2003 4:45 pm

wrveres wrote:
Jack-In-A-Box wrote:he's in the company of- i got what i deserved for being a spoiled brat and making everyone think i was the next best thing since sliced bread and making teams spend millions on me to have me sit on their bench my whole career because i'm as fragile as Jenga game stacked 30 high.

The guy is a waste of space because he cant stay healthy long enough to play on regular basis. He might could put up some huge numbers if he could stay off the DL long enough. But what has it been now? 4,5years? and still havent seen this massive amount of potential so to speak play regularly.

That has to be the two most perfectly written paragraphs about Mr. Drew I have ever read. Well stated. What a waste of perfectly good oxygen he is. St Louis should send him to Det. for pitching help .. how about that Maroth guy? I recommened that everybody in all my leagues "Jump" to get him.
Some people are just destined to be Toll Booth operator's.

I say that if he puts his injury behind him than he could very well be in the ranks of Berkman,Ichiro,Chipper and even Pujols.

I'm spit soda all over my computer when I read this .. where do I send the bill for a new keyboard. They must put crack in the water in Philly or something ...

Letme tune in on this one and agree with Jack-in-A-Box and wrveres! J.D. Drew sucks bigtime. Oh and BTW...Send that bill for the new keyboard to philly, cause what he wrote was just complete bull****! J.D Drew hasn't played a full season since, hell I don't know if he's ever played a full season! Good call boys! ;-D
Super GM
General Manager
General Manager

Postby trippinonreality » Wed Apr 23, 2003 5:22 pm

12 team H2H also. I wasn't actually talking to you I was talking to DGroundhog but actually I'm pretty sure I'd mop the floor with your team too.

C Lo Duca, Paul (C, 1B-LA)
1B Delgado, Carlos (1B-Tor)
2B Soriano, Alfonso (2B-NYY)
3B Lowell, Mike (3B-Fla)
SS Tejada, Miguel (SS-Oak)
OF Kearns, Austin (RF-Cin)
OF Anderson, Garret (LF-Ana)
OF Ramirez, Manny (LF, DH-Bos)
OF Beltran,Carlos(CF-KC)
Utility Dunn, Adam (LF, 1B, RF-Cin)
Utility Choi, Hee Seop (1B-ChC)
Bench Hinske, Eric (3B-Tor)