2005 Real Salary Yahoo Keeper PROBOARD CREATED, REGISTER NOW - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Classifieds

2005 Real Salary Yahoo Keeper PROBOARD CREATED, REGISTER NOW

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby AntiAvril1227 » Sat Oct 23, 2004 6:53 pm

count me in

AIM: antiavril1227

EMAIL: mailto:snowskate28@yahoo.com
AntiAvril1227
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RubbaBandMan » Sun Oct 24, 2004 1:34 am

jamesfinch, do u wanna open a message board for our new league?
it will be easeir to exhange info and discuss our league deatils
we can keep the cafe thread to find our remianing managers
i could help to set up or moderate it
RubbaBandMan
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby jamesfinch » Wed Oct 27, 2004 10:18 am

OK, we have 14 players now. Do we call it a day with 14 and get on with a slow draft on the messageboard that I believe RubbaBandMan is creating for us? Or shall we continue and try for more members?
jamesfinch
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby jamesfinch » Wed Oct 27, 2004 10:22 am

I Got Worms wrote:
for the salary cap and salaries I like jamesfinch's idea of using the actual players contract. Let me know if i got this.... For example A-rod has 6 years at 120 million left on his contract, so if you draft him then 20 million will count against your salary cap for the next 6 years. If you cant afford that then you can trade him. Then players like peavy, blaylock etc with smaller contracts do have an impact on your salary cap. When a player in real life becomes a free agent then we either bid for him or hold a draft for free agents. I like the idea of bidding, the highest bid gets the player, that way the person who has the most room under their salary cap could sign the most coveted free agent if they wanted.

You are bang on there Worms. I like the idea too! I came up with it. ;-)
jamesfinch
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby ensanimal » Wed Oct 27, 2004 3:35 pm

jamesfinch wrote:
I Got Worms wrote:
for the salary cap and salaries I like jamesfinch's idea of using the actual players contract. Let me know if i got this.... For example A-rod has 6 years at 120 million left on his contract, so if you draft him then 20 million will count against your salary cap for the next 6 years. If you cant afford that then you can trade him. Then players like peavy, blaylock etc with smaller contracts do have an impact on your salary cap. When a player in real life becomes a free agent then we either bid for him or hold a draft for free agents. I like the idea of bidding, the highest bid gets the player, that way the person who has the most room under their salary cap could sign the most coveted free agent if they wanted.

You are bang on there Worms. I like the idea too! I came up with it. ;-)

i'd stille be in for this idea. h2h i guess would be ok too.

one question, what about dropping and adding players to or from waivers/fa. if you drop someone, do you lose the salary for the year, or are you bound to it for the entire year no matter what. if you pick up a fa, do you pay a full year salary, or some sort of prorated salary for the amt of time left in the season.

these decisions would greatly impact the cap room available, and would need to be worked out quickly, or there might not be many transactions done during the year.
ensanimal

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 112)

Postby jamesfinch » Thu Oct 28, 2004 1:58 pm

Similar to real life. If a player is taken off waivers after being dropped then I feel the team who picks him up should take half of his contract, the original team takes the other half. If the player was minimum salary then the team who picks him up takes the lot.

If, however, the player passes waivers and goes to FA then any team that picks him up does so at minimum league salary. The rest is taken by the team that dropped him. How does that sound?
jamesfinch
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby GameOn » Thu Oct 28, 2004 4:07 pm

I don't like halfing the salary because then you have that player on two rosters and I guarantee you that will get confusing. Just make it if a player gets claimed his whole salary goes to the other team. Likewise, if you waive a player and no one picks him up you still owe that salary, until someone picks him up off FA.

Do you think FAs should just be picked up at the league minimum or bid on?

Just back to what i was saying earlier for a sec. I realize that you want only that years salary counting against the cap and you want to use the real years left on contract....thats fine with me if thats what you want to do but I think you will encounter a problem down the line. If a player becomes a FA at the end of next season (say Tim Hudson or someting) and then after next seasons bidding I win Tim Hudson how are you going to handle how long he is signed for then? You have to have some limit on contract length, lets say 5 years in this case. Well if I am just paying his yearly salary then there is no incentive for me to make an educated decision to how long I should sign him, I'll just sign him for 5 years. So we are going to have a TON of players just being signed to long term contracts because it doesnt hurt them not to. Whereas, if you count the whole contract then people are a little more hesistant to sign long term contracts and you will have more FA turnover. If you do it the way you want there wont be many FAs after the first year or two. But whatever, its not my decision.

Furthermore, this is your league so lets get some rules and get this thing going. It seems like there are only 3 of us talking and we are just running around in circles. I'm at the point where I don't think this league is gonna happen unless we make a little progress.
GameOn
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 7)

Postby jamesfinch » Fri Oct 29, 2004 5:38 am

As optomistic as ever GameOn? We have set up a proboard that EVERYONE who wishes to be part of the league MUST join.

http://nocurseleague.proboards38.com

Please sign up immediately, register and post your fantasybaseballcafe username. We can get started there.
jamesfinch
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby I Got Worms » Fri Oct 29, 2004 11:20 am

[quote]Game on wrote: If a player becomes a FA at the end of next season (say Tim Hudson or someting) and then after next seasons bidding I win Tim Hudson how are you going to handle how long he is signed for then? You have to have some limit on contract length, lets say 5 years in this case. Well if I am just paying his yearly salary then there is no incentive for me to make an educated decision to how long I should sign him, I'll just sign him for 5 years. So we are going to have a TON of players just being signed to long term contracts because it doesnt hurt them not to. Whereas, if you count the whole contract then people are a little more hesistant to sign long term contracts and you will have more FA turnover. If you do it the way you want there wont be many FAs after the first year or two. But whatever, its not my decision.

Game on, this is how I understand the way this will work. Say Steinbrenner signs your man Tim Hudson to a 300 million 2 year deal. You draft Hudson for your team, then you are responsible for his contract at 150 million a year for two years. After two years he becomes a free agent again, unless his contract has an option then if the option is picked up then you get him for another year at the price of the option. After that he is a free agent. Whatever the baseball contract legnth is, is the legnth you have the player on your team. Whatever happens in baseball, happens in our league. If I have misstated this please correct me Jamesfinch.
I Got Worms
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby GameOn » Fri Oct 29, 2004 12:49 pm

I Got Worms wrote:
Game on wrote: If a player becomes a FA at the end of next season (say Tim Hudson or someting) and then after next seasons bidding I win Tim Hudson how are you going to handle how long he is signed for then? You have to have some limit on contract length, lets say 5 years in this case. Well if I am just paying his yearly salary then there is no incentive for me to make an educated decision to how long I should sign him, I'll just sign him for 5 years. So we are going to have a TON of players just being signed to long term contracts because it doesnt hurt them not to. Whereas, if you count the whole contract then people are a little more hesistant to sign long term contracts and you will have more FA turnover. If you do it the way you want there wont be many FAs after the first year or two. But whatever, its not my decision.

Game on, this is how I understand the way this will work. Say Steinbrenner signs your man Tim Hudson to a 300 million 2 year deal. You draft Hudson for your team, then you are responsible for his contract at 150 million a year for two years. After two years he becomes a free agent again, unless his contract has an option then if the option is picked up then you get him for another year at the price of the option. After that he is a free agent. Whatever the baseball contract legnth is, is the legnth you have the player on your team. Whatever happens in baseball, happens in our league. If I have misstated this please correct me Jamesfinch.

Well its always fun to play fantasy "the way baseball really is", but the thing is this is fantasy not REAL BASEBALL. I don't really care either way, I'm just pointing out a problem that will arise, I guarantee it. I think if we do it this way we need to make a max contract length after they become FAs of like 3 years, so that we at least have some turnover. It's not my league so its not my decision, but I have played these leagues before and I know what problems will arise.
GameOn
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 7)

PreviousNext

Return to Classifieds