2005 Real Salary Yahoo Keeper PROBOARD CREATED, REGISTER NOW - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Classifieds

2005 Real Salary Yahoo Keeper PROBOARD CREATED, REGISTER NOW

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby jamesfinch » Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:00 pm

LOL! Im not sure, I guess you are online now? Do you have MSN messenger or do you want to meet at the chatroom here? Is there one?

So you say real contracts but just a length you want? Couldn't we just say that you don't inherit all of the years salary at once. For example A-Rod earns $20m and is under contract for 6 years. You don't get $120m added to your budget, you only get $20m.

I guess we have to decide if you are then bound to A-Rod for the rest of his contract unless you trade him?
jamesfinch
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby GameOn » Wed Oct 13, 2004 1:44 pm

well if we do it that way then when people actually win players at auction they will sign them forever. Like if I win ARod at auction for 30 bucks, I'll just sign him for the max length if it only costs me 30 bucks. Making the salary increases with the number of years signed means people wont sign players for as long.
GameOn
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 7)

Postby roadrunner » Wed Oct 13, 2004 4:59 pm

jamesfinch, have you filled this league yet? if not i would be interested, i like the idea of player salaries and bidding on a player when his salary expires. it seems more realistic. i have deep fantasy roots and experience. i do like the idea about the simple salary amounts though, like $1.00 = 1 million etc. prefer head to head over roto but i excell at both just a preference.
if interested my email mailto:tonkahaska68@yahoo.com thanks, alan
roadrunner
College Coach
College Coach

Postby I Got Worms » Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:49 am

H2H sounds good
Slow draft
salary cap is a tough one, but I like the idea of using the actual contracts of each player. Makes the league more realistic. Then you have to take into consideration several factors when drafting your team.
I Got Worms
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby jamesfinch » Thu Oct 14, 2004 2:52 pm

Maybe I haven't made myself clear. The way it could work is that people don't get to sign players for as long as they want, rather they just get them for the rest of their current MLB contract. At which point they become FAs and can either be bid for, or if we prefer, drafted at the price they were signed for IRL.
jamesfinch
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby I Got Worms » Thu Oct 14, 2004 6:52 pm

crystal clear, I like your idea that way everyone has an equal shot at the best players when their current contracts expire.[/quote]
I Got Worms
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby GameOn » Thu Oct 14, 2004 9:49 pm

jamesfinch wrote:Maybe I haven't made myself clear. The way it could work is that people don't get to sign players for as long as they want, rather they just get them for the rest of their current MLB contract. At which point they become FAs and can either be bid for, or if we prefer, drafted at the price they were signed for IRL.

I get what you are saying, but when we bid on the players whoever wins ARod or whatever will keep him for the max number of years. I think upping the salary cap for the more years signed adds another level of sophistication to the league. Because teams will have to not only manage their money but each team will have to manage how long they sign their players for.

I like the idea of using real contracts but we have to give some authority to the team owners, and I think allowing teams to sign the length of the contract does that.

But it doesn't really matter to me, if you want to do it that way that is fine with me. However, I have played these type of leagues before and I really think that an increasing salary cap and allowing each team to determine the number of years for each player makes for a better league.
GameOn
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jamesfinch » Tue Oct 19, 2004 1:31 pm

Could everyone who was registered for this league PLEASE tell me your thoughts on it. Firstly, as a way of makins sure everyone is still in, and secondly to get everyone's opinions.

Draft - slow seems favourite atm
Roster Size - I'd prefer a deep league (30+) but I'll go with majority
Salary Cap - prefer as small as possible whilst not taking away the top players.
jamesfinch
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby GameOn » Tue Oct 19, 2004 4:43 pm

Just to point one thing out...setting a cap and using real contracts, set years, and only counting the current year's salary is going to cause problems because you HAVE to set the cap perfectly beforehand. Howver, if we use the current contract and allow each team to set the year and have the total contract count (i.e. ARod signed for $20 for 2 would count $40 against the cap) then the market can adjust to the cap, no matter here you set it. Does this make sense? If you set an $80 million cap and use current salaries and just count the current year on the contract then you will need to set the cap at exactly the right point to begin with because teams will have no way to effect the cap except who they draft. If you let teams set the contract leangth and count the whole thing then the market with adjust itself to the cap, and in some sense where you set the cap can be adjusted by the owners.

Furthermore, cheap players like Rich Harden, Blalock, Peavy, etc. would all be $1, if you let teams sign them for 5 years then they are basically free. However, if you count the entire contract then it would cost 5 bucks against the cap and it would make it more impact on the cap.
GameOn
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby I Got Worms » Thu Oct 21, 2004 6:05 pm

1. H2H
2. slow draft
3. 5x5 to 8x8
4. 30 to 40 players

for the salary cap and salaries I like jamesfinch's idea of using the actual players contract. Let me know if i got this.... For example A-rod has 6 years at 120 million left on his contract, so if you draft him then 20 million will count against your salary cap for the next 6 years. If you cant afford that then you can trade him. Then players like peavy, blaylock etc with smaller contracts do have an impact on your salary cap. When a player in real life becomes a free agent then we either bid for him or hold a draft for free agents. I like the idea of bidding, the highest bid gets the player, that way the person who has the most room under their salary cap could sign the most coveted free agent if they wanted.
I Got Worms
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Classifieds