Yanks/Cubs reaction to playing FLA teams this week. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Yanks/Cubs reaction to playing FLA teams this week.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby DominicanLou » Tue Sep 07, 2004 1:51 pm

You cannot compare the Cub's situation to the Devil Ray's situation. The Cubs players probably wanted to get out of Florida as quickly as possible before the hurricane hit, while the Devil Rays probably had bigger concerns. First of all, im willing to bet that a number of Rays players have family and property in the Tampa area. It is only natural to want to protect your family when there is a natural disaster on its way. I do not fault the Devil Rays one bit for staying in Florida.

Now I know that there are other players not on the Rays who also have family in Florida, but they were not in the area when the hurricane was approaching. Because the Rays had a homestand, it is much tougher to leave your family because it feels like you are abandoning them. Had the Rays been on a road trip they obviously would not have flown into Tampa to be with their family, but that was not the situation.

One more thing. I remember that after the Sept 11 attacks the main theme in the sports world was, "This terrorist attack makes us all realize that sports are just a game." People were even debating whether rivalries such as the Red Sox/Yankees were going to end because we would realize there is not much importance in them when comparing it to thousands of people dying. Well it seems that sentiment is long gone since the very city had got hit hardest, New York, is demanding that the Rays forfeit a game. If you were to explain this situation to someone not enthrawled in the sports world, they would be disgusted and find this situation incomprehensible. We sometimes poke fun at how soccer and other sports are taken so seriously around the world that it almost seems rediculous, but but this situation ranks up there with it.
DominicanLou
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby raiders_umpire » Tue Sep 07, 2004 4:00 pm

Lofunzo wrote:I can only go by what was reported up here but as of yesterday afternoon, there was no word from the D-Rays about if and when they were making it up here. If that was the case, then I don't blame the Yankees. The Cubs left town on Friday (apparently). I reiterate that it was reported here that Tampa hadn't notified anyone of their intentions. If they had and the league and Yankees knew about it, then that is in poor taste. :-t

As for moving the Cubs/Marlins game, I agree that some concessions should be made. If not, they could always fly down to Florida for a game or 2 at the end of the season. :-?

on sportscenter they interviewed chuck lamar of the devil rays and he said they he had told MLB after the saturday and sunday games had been cancelled that the devil rays would fly out of tampa early monday morning, to make it in time for the doubleheader...but this was saturday morning and the hurricane was expected to move on through florida quicker than it did....so i cant see how the yanks can possibly blame the devil rays for the hurricane slowing down and causing the airports not to open til about lunch time monday.....and then when u consider it is about a 2 hour flight from tampa to NY(reported on espn) and i dont know how long the ride from the airport to the stadium is, but i just cant see how it is the devil rays fault.....because that adds up to something over 2 hours to get from tampa to yankee stadium...and even if they left at 12 noon they would have been pushing it, to be there by a 3:00 game time....and on a side note the devil rays were not able to fly out til around 2:00 pm due to normal flight holdups and such....

but john kruk put it best i think....he said that the yankees probably would not have even tried to ask for a forfeit if their starting pitching was not in so much of a disarray right now........
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Sep 07, 2004 4:56 pm

raiders_umpire wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:I can only go by what was reported up here but as of yesterday afternoon, there was no word from the D-Rays about if and when they were making it up here. If that was the case, then I don't blame the Yankees. The Cubs left town on Friday (apparently). I reiterate that it was reported here that Tampa hadn't notified anyone of their intentions. If they had and the league and Yankees knew about it, then that is in poor taste. :-t

As for moving the Cubs/Marlins game, I agree that some concessions should be made. If not, they could always fly down to Florida for a game or 2 at the end of the season. :-?

on sportscenter they interviewed chuck lamar of the devil rays and he said they he had told MLB after the saturday and sunday games had been cancelled that the devil rays would fly out of tampa early monday morning, to make it in time for the doubleheader...but this was saturday morning and the hurricane was expected to move on through florida quicker than it did....so i cant see how the yanks can possibly blame the devil rays for the hurricane slowing down and causing the airports not to open til about lunch time monday.....and then when u consider it is about a 2 hour flight from tampa to NY(reported on espn) and i dont know how long the ride from the airport to the stadium is, but i just cant see how it is the devil rays fault.....because that adds up to something over 2 hours to get from tampa to yankee stadium...and even if they left at 12 noon they would have been pushing it, to be there by a 3:00 game time....and on a side note the devil rays were not able to fly out til around 2:00 pm due to normal flight holdups and such....

but john kruk put it best i think....he said that the yankees probably would not have even tried to ask for a forfeit if their starting pitching was not in so much of a disarray right now........

No one is minimizing anything. I'm just saying that with better communication, this wouldn't be an issue. There were people that went to Yankee Stadium for a game at 1 and it didn't start until 7. Cashman is on the radio as we speak and he is saying that Tampa was advised to leave the area by Saturday morning. That was the last that he heard. If it became a problem, would it have been that difficult for Lamar or someone else to pick up the phone and let the Yankees know that there was a problem??
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby raiders_umpire » Tue Sep 07, 2004 8:07 pm

oh well it is all for nothing as the missed game has been rescheduled for wednesday to make it a double header......
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Madison » Wed Sep 08, 2004 10:29 am

Double header for today. :-) Seems the Yankees backed off their stance that they would not play a double header this week. B-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby StlSluggers » Wed Sep 08, 2004 2:44 pm

ESPN's Jayson Stark says that the MLB dropped the ball on the Labor Day fiasco.

I'm inclined to agree.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Lofunzo » Wed Sep 08, 2004 4:38 pm

Good find and good article. ;-D
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Previous

Return to General Talk