Yanks/Cubs reaction to playing FLA teams this week. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Yanks/Cubs reaction to playing FLA teams this week.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Yanks/Cubs reaction to playing FLA teams this week.

Postby Mercer Boy » Tue Sep 07, 2004 12:22 am

If this belongs somewhere else, I apologize - but I figured this could turn into an issue, so I put it in Gen Talk.

Forgive me for my opinions, but I can't believe that the Yankees would stoop so low to ask for a forfeit of the first game. The Rays couldn't get out of Florida due to a freaking humongous hurricane. The players wanted to stay with their families. Can't they just play the game at some other point? I don't want to get Yanks fans riled, but it seems to me that they are looking for ways to keep the Sox off their back without having to play... !+)

I know this is an extreme parallel, but what if another smaller terrorist attack happened in New York and they couldn't leave the area. Do you really think another team would ask for a forfeit? I would sincerely hope not. The entire US would once again stop to help our biggest city. A hurricane doesn't get as much "hype" as something like this because it happens more frequently, but to the families and players in the area, I'm sure it is just as devastating (especially since they had one the week before).

I also heard that since the Marlins couldn't play one of their games with the Cubs that one of their games has to be played in Chicago instead of Florida. Because of this, they are "fighting" over how they will split the gate receipts...More bickering over money for something that the Marlins could not control. You've got to be kidding me! :-[

If you ask me, the gate receipts to that game should go to a Frances relief fund for families that lost their houses or businesses, plus there should be an extra collection taken at the game. That would be a nice way for teams (who make tons of money already) to give back to the community.

Luckily I can duck back into the "Light Side" to avoid major public scrutiny! B-) I'll come back later to see how badly my opinion was hammered!
The One, The Only, The Incomparable Mercer Boy.
MySpace blog (updated 6/21 - Pirates walkout.)
Mercer Boy
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby pomplona's finest » Tue Sep 07, 2004 12:37 am

Mercer Boy, no need to worry, I won't bash you. :-D

I hadn't really thought about it much, but you have a point. Unless I am missing something, I think the Yanks are being way too inconsiderate. I think hurricanes aren't really thought of as an emergency. Its harder to understand the severity of two consecutive storms unless you are a part of them. Thats probably why all of those not living in Florida don't think of it as much of a big deal. As for the Yanks being scared of Boston, well I wouldn't doubt that. ;-7

And about the gate receipts, that is just another example of how greedy people can get. Its dissapointing to see such trivial bickering. :-t
[URL=http://www.imageshack.us]Image[/URL]

AKA IRON CHEF

Member #5 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
pomplona's finest
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby kimchi_chigae » Tue Sep 07, 2004 12:44 am

even though u are from the "light side" i have agree with you on this one.

i couldn't believe when i heard that the yankees asked for a forfeit :-t maybe it's because i hate the yankees, but u just don't do that. did they even expected MLB to accept it?

i feel sorry for the fans who had wait 6 hours to see some baseball at yankee stadium tonight. free hot dogs though :-]

btw, huff couldn't make it to the game. there was something like he couldn't get out of his house down in florida.
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 200)

Postby Madison » Tue Sep 07, 2004 1:08 am

Well, I believe asking for a forfeit was a bit much. I would think the Yankees (or any team for that matter) would have a bit of understanding and allow the games to be played at the earliest date instead of requesting a forfeit for something that the other team could not control if they tried.

As to the bickering about gate receipts, that's no shock at all.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby DieHardCubbie » Tue Sep 07, 2004 2:18 am

I think the Yankees asking for a forfit is in pretty bad taste...If there was no more time to make up the game, then I could understand a little more...but the DRays are in town until Wednesday...why not just rescedule it for Tuesday or Wednesday...that makes more sense to me... :-?

And to the gate...I understand part of the bickering going on...and Yes the Marlins do deserve most of the gate...but since the games are going to be played in Wrigley...the Cubs should get enough off the gate to cover operating expenses for the games... :-)

However if this agreement could be made...I would be all for it...and think it would really be the best way to go... ;-D

Mercer Boy wrote:If you ask me, the gate receipts to that game should go to a Frances relief fund for families that lost their houses or businesses, plus there should be an extra collection taken at the game.
[b]Useless Trivia of the day[/b]

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby LBJackal » Tue Sep 07, 2004 4:07 am

Sure it might be nice if the Yanks said NOT to forfeit the game, but by the rules of MLB don't the D'Rays have to forfeit the first one? If they want special circumstances to allow for sympathy then it should be in the rules........ I know it sounds harsh but why have rules if you're going to break them when you feel like it? It seems minor, but what if, down the road, a team in a pennant race like the Yankees are, has some sort of roadblock where making it to the game isn't an option. Who knows, maybe a religious thing for a few key players. Not enough guys show up and they want the same deal as the D'Rays got. It's a bad example, but once you break the rules for somebody, other people want the same special treatment.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Arlo » Tue Sep 07, 2004 5:58 am

Sure, rules are important, but not that important. Just imagine that this were a fantasy league: keeper lists for next season are (hypothetically) due at noon today, but one owner is stuck without power in Florida, with other things on his mind than baseball. Every commish worthy of the title would extend the deadline without even thinking about it, no matter what the rules say. Clearly, there's more at stake in the real game (well, maybe just a little more ;-) ), but the principle should be the same.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue Sep 07, 2004 8:04 am

With the disparity in budgets and all of the Yankee hating out there you would think that the Yanks would want to go out of their way to be nice guys. Sometimes I think that they go out of their way to cultivate this image.

You can't blame Cashman or management though. They're just doing their jobs. The order to make a nice gesture has to come from above.

Once this gets some more media coverage I'm sure that they will do the right thing - they will probably even organize some form of relief for Floridians.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)

Postby raiders_umpire » Tue Sep 07, 2004 9:30 am

LBJackal wrote:Sure it might be nice if the Yanks said NOT to forfeit the game, but by the rules of MLB don't the D'Rays have to forfeit the first one? If they want special circumstances to allow for sympathy then it should be in the rules........ I know it sounds harsh but why have rules if you're going to break them when you feel like it? It seems minor, but what if, down the road, a team in a pennant race like the Yankees are, has some sort of roadblock where making it to the game isn't an option. Who knows, maybe a religious thing for a few key players. Not enough guys show up and they want the same deal as the D'Rays got. It's a bad example, but once you break the rules for somebody, other people want the same special treatment.

i am assuming this is coming from somebody who has never lived through a hurricane....well considering 5 years ago, us guys here in north carolina lived through 2 in about 3 weeks(just like florida has this past month)...let me tell what it could be like....the best example i can give u is this i live about 2 miles from my work, and for about a week or so after hurricane Floyd, it took me 5 hours to get to work...as every road between my house and work was flooded to about 2-3 foot of water...so i had to drive west about one hour at about 30 mph, make a u turn, and then come back to my home town on another road.......

so add the flooding of the roads onto the fact that tampa airport did not open up til about 11:30 am monday morning, i can definitely see why the devil rays could not make a 3:00 game yesterday afternoon.... MLB would have been fools to forfeit the first game yesterday afternoon, just because there is a "rule" about not making ball games......
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Sep 07, 2004 12:50 pm

I can only go by what was reported up here but as of yesterday afternoon, there was no word from the D-Rays about if and when they were making it up here. If that was the case, then I don't blame the Yankees. The Cubs left town on Friday (apparently). I reiterate that it was reported here that Tampa hadn't notified anyone of their intentions. If they had and the league and Yankees knew about it, then that is in poor taste. :-t

As for moving the Cubs/Marlins game, I agree that some concessions should be made. If not, they could always fly down to Florida for a game or 2 at the end of the season. :-?
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Next

Return to General Talk