The MLB Schedule Makers Are Crackheads - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

The MLB Schedule Makers Are Crackheads

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Sep 07, 2004 10:06 am

Surfs up wrote:I agree. I think they should do away with interleague play and schedule more games within divisions.

8-o More games within the division? I only follow the Cards close enough to know the schedule so I'll use them as an example. Until last week STL hadn't played SD or LA at all this year. They have played 76 of the 137 games against teams in the NLC.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 389)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Nerfherders » Tue Sep 07, 2004 4:14 pm

Speaking of schedules, can someone tell me why The Indians travel to Seattle to play a game, then get an off day, then play another game, then get another off day? Wouldnt it have made sense to travel Monday and play the first game today? Is Safeco being used for something else? weirdness!
Nerfherders
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 5)

Postby BeefSandwiches » Tue Sep 07, 2004 5:01 pm

There was a lot of talk about the Cubs/Cards season series ending right after the All-Star break and most spoke quite frankly about Fox Sports asking MLB to move a late season series into June because they wanted the weekend ratings.

I never really saw any hard evidence of this but the series was supposedly scheduled for Labor Day weekend (just like the great 5-gamer of '03) and switched to June.
BeefSandwiches
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Rkiivs » Tue Sep 07, 2004 7:20 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
Surfs up wrote:I agree. I think they should do away with interleague play and schedule more games within divisions.

8-o More games within the division? I only follow the Cards close enough to know the schedule so I'll use them as an example. Until last week STL hadn't played SD or LA at all this year. They have played 76 of the 137 games against teams in the NLC.

Actually, what I'd like to see are longer series inseason. I'd go for a five game series instead of three. This way you have to put up all five of your pitching staters in the series. It'd be a plus for the teams not having to travel around so many times to the same city during the season. You definitely wouldn't see many sweeps.
Rkiivs Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Innovative Member

Postby JTWood » Tue Sep 07, 2004 7:43 pm

Has anyone noticed this inane pattern that the MLB adopted this year? It looks like this:

Team 1 vs. Team 2
Team 1 vs. Team 3
Team 2 vs. Team 1
Team 3 vs. Team 1

Thanks to that pattern, non-division teams see each other for about two weeks and then hardly play again all year. In addition, the teams usually have two or more of the same pitchers against each other.

I agree that I would like to see more 5-games series in-season. Although, I understand that would lead to a less flexible season. Whatever. Anything's better than it is right now, and I definitely don't want to see more division games. They play just enough now.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Apollo » Wed Sep 08, 2004 2:10 am

That format was in place last year too (perhaps since this unbalanced schedule started), and I agree that it's awful. We see the Yankees two series out of three and then never again--that's just dumb.
Apollo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Wed Sep 08, 2004 10:47 am

THANK YOU!! ;-D :-D
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers