Dead team trades. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Dead team trades.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Dead team trades.

Postby rmeesig » Sat Sep 04, 2004 11:15 am

OK, we have a situation in my league where a mgr has proposed a trade to another mgr who has been inactive for over a month. The inactive mgr has been in last or next to last place, with no hope of gaining ground. He has had spots empty on his roster for the last month, even though he's had the players to fill them.

So our 5th place mgr decides to propose a fair trade (Manny,V.Wells, and J.Weaver for B.Bonds and M.Cab). Out of the blue, the inactive mgr accepts the trade!

Most of the league feels that since the last place mgr hasn't even adjusted his roster in a month, and had unused positions, no matter what the trade is, it's one sided. The commish has vetoed the trade, and now the active mgr is a little PO'd.

Any thoughts? :-?
If a man dwells on the past, then he robs the present.
But if a man ignores the past, he may rob the future.
The seeds of our destiny are nurtured by the roots of our past.
[i]-- Master Po[/i]
rmeesig
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DK » Sat Sep 04, 2004 11:47 am

Let me guess... You're the active manager. :D
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby rmeesig » Sat Sep 04, 2004 11:50 am

nope. not me, but I did vote against the trade.
[i]-- Master Po[/i]
rmeesig
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby rlee » Sat Sep 04, 2004 12:16 pm

Despite the fact he has been inactive, my feeling is that you still have to judge the trade on it's merits. If it's a fair trade, let it go. If it's not a fair trade, it should be vetoed.

Do you not have a trade deadline in your league? :-?
rlee
rlee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby rmeesig » Sat Sep 04, 2004 12:20 pm

nope. no deadline.

anyone else?
[i]-- Master Po[/i]
rmeesig
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby TonyCee » Sat Sep 04, 2004 12:52 pm

Rules:

1) There is no crying in Baseball

2) If the trade is fair, you cannot veto it, period. It doesn't matter what the other team is doing, if it's a fair trade and there is no cheating, you must accept.
TonyCee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby PresHabib » Sat Sep 04, 2004 12:58 pm

Hmmm :-?

We had a similar situation in the beginning of the year in one of my leagues in which i was commissioner. I beileve it was...alex cintron and joe nathan for keith foulke (inactive manager gave Foulke). This was in April, when nobody had any idea what Joe Nathan would do by the way, and at that time we were like 'holy christ-nuggets, what a robbery, the guy gets Foulke (who at the tiem was thought to be a top 5 closer) for cintron and a guy whos never closed games before...numbers aside the big issue was that one manager obviously didn't really care what he was doing to his team, which I believe is what you are complaining about here.

So we did this...I sat down and did some numbers projections..there really wasn't a BIG difference between Nathan and Foulke...we figured Foulke for 45 saves and nathan for 37 or so, so it was cintron for 8 saves...not that bad...

so i suggest you do some projections for the rest of the way and if the numberse are simliar let it go...personally i think the guy getting bonds loses...but anyway if the numbers projections are close theres nothing really wrong with the trade in my mind.

Incidently...people say that collusion is the only reason to veto a trade...I disagree, though it is the BIGGEST reason to do it...in THIS case it looks like collusion, i.e. the only way to get an inactive manager active is to ask him "hey i proposed you a trade, would you go and accept it" but if the numbers are similar and the trade is fair, whats the big deal?

Again, incidently, you said yourself the manager proposed a fair trade, so why did you vote against the deaL?
Rest in peace Mitch Hedberg. I name my fantasy team "Buoyancy of Citrus", in your honor.
1968-2005
PresHabib
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby rmeesig » Sat Sep 04, 2004 1:09 pm

I voted against it for the exact reason you stated - the inactive mgr really doesn't care what happens to his team, while the active mgr is in the hunt.

I don't mind being wrong, and I intend to show your answers to the league so we can make a fair decision. I just felt that if the guy was inactive for so long (he actually traded FOR M.Cab with this same mgr a month ago, and never used him - just left the position empty) and all of sudden becomes active - what woke him up?
[i]-- Master Po[/i]
rmeesig
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby cardinal15 » Sat Sep 04, 2004 1:37 pm

I don't see how you can veto this trade accept out of spite and "punishment".Just because you don't like the other managers strategy or how he runs his team, is no reason to veto a fair trade.The fact is he did not abandon his team he was just less active than what you WANTED him to be.Who are any of your league participants to dictate a level of involvement in a "game" unless you make it a clearly understood league rule before the season starts. The conditions you dictate on the surface are not reason enough to punish them.I've participated for many years in fantasy and I have aquired players that I never used, for whatever reason.I've also seen a team where no changes were made for over a month (granted it had a primo line up).The fact is he was REACHABLE and any of you could have proposed something, someone did and clearly not in a collusive way.A fair trade should stand no matter what other wise your rules become jokes and some one will always find a "reason" to justify a veto.Face it you guys are just pissed off that you did n't do it first.Fine you don't like this guy's involvement in running a team -- Than don't invite him into your next league, don't punish the manager with the balls to ask for a trade and don't be hypocrites by making new rules as the season goes along.If any other active managers in your league had proposed this trade it would have been approved, that should be the standard used not your personal attitudes against other managers or teams.
cardinal15
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby rmeesig » Sat Sep 04, 2004 1:41 pm

cardinal15

while I completely understand your point, we HAVE tried to contact that mgr over the past month (trades, announcements, etc) and there has been zero response. should have mentioned that, sorry.
[i]-- Master Po[/i]
rmeesig
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers