Moneyball's First Test: The Boy Named Swisher - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Moneyball's First Test: The Boy Named Swisher

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby thetongueofire » Sat Sep 04, 2004 5:36 pm

wkelly91 wrote:Isn't Youkalis one of the money ball guys? :-?

both yes and no. the A's wanted to draft him in 01 but were uncessful. then they tried to trade for him before the 02 trading deadline. so hes never been in the A's organization but he was openly praised by Billy Beane and DePaudesta (now Dodgers GM) in Moneyball cos he drew a ton of walks. thats why he got the nickname the "Greek God of Walks". but im not sure if hes actually Greek or not. anyways, wkelly, nice to see you somewhere else than the politics forum. :-b
[size=10]Manny Ramirez....$20 million
Pedro Martinez....$17.5 million
Curt Schilling...$12 million (and a $2 million bonus)
Never hearing a Yankee fan chant 1918 again...priceless. [/size]
thetongueofire
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby GrimZeke007 » Sat Sep 04, 2004 5:37 pm

thetongueofire wrote:

both yes and no. the A's wanted to draft him in 01 but were uncessful. then they tried to trade for him before the 02 trading deadline. so hes never been in the A's organization but he was openly praised by Billy Beane and DePaudesta (now Dodgers GM) in Moneyball cos he drew a ton of walks. thats why he got the nickname the "Greek God of Walks". but im not sure if hes actually Greek or not. anyways, wkelly, nice to see you somewhere else than the politics forum. :-b
greek and jewish
<a href="http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2242053#2242053">Help rate my team!</a>
GrimZeke007
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby ramble2 » Sun Sep 05, 2004 12:40 am

I'd say that the mere fact that Swisher has made it to bigs in 2 years, and that Teahan was part of a major trade that got the A's Dotel is good evidence that the 'Moneyball' theory is paying good dividends.

Not to get into the details, but it's about getting guys into your system who can contribute while still cheap, or who you can trade to shore up other needs. It's not simply about whether any individual player taken ends up a star or not.
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 7)

Postby jsmith378 » Sun Sep 05, 2004 5:00 pm

swisher just homered
jsmith378
College Coach
College Coach

Postby wkelly91 » Mon Sep 06, 2004 12:46 am

thetongueofire wrote:

Believe it or not, I am passionate about things other than politics ;-)
wkelly91
General Manager
General Manager

Postby LBJackal » Mon Sep 06, 2004 5:32 am

wkelly91 wrote:
thetongueofire wrote:

Believe it or not, I am passionate about things other than politics ;-)

Could have fooled me. Honestly, this is the first time I've seen you out of there. I guess since you boycotted it you have nothing else to do. Since the boycott was based on false premises, I assume you'll be back there to argue politics sometime soon after withdrawal kicks in :-?

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers