Return to Baseball Leftovers

Is Schmidt still hurting?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Bloody Nipples » Fri Sep 03, 2004 12:30 am

Bloody Nipples wrote:
kimchi_chigae wrote:come on pedro!!!

make us feliz :-D

lol. pitching change.....

oops, wrong commercial type. didnt hear feliz get out, so I assumed the best. :-D
Bloody Nipples
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby foamposited » Fri Sep 03, 2004 12:38 am

Atleast he struck out 8? :,-(
foamposited
College Coach
College Coach

Postby jbones733 » Fri Sep 03, 2004 12:42 am

he looked fine, IMO the first batter of the game F'd him up, i forget who it was but it was a long grueling at bat, & schmidt threw a ton of pitches, ended up striking him out,

alot of seeng eye hits, & hits off the end of the bat, i would not be too worried, Im actually happy hes getting it out of his sytem now, then in yahoo playoffs
jbones733
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby warrick95 » Fri Sep 03, 2004 1:29 am

I was one who predicted a Schmidt collapse (well not collapse, but injuries...high risk player...become worse down the stretch) and was consequently flamed for this at about midseason. I bring it up again and we'll see if he continues his poor pitching.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Fireball Express » Fri Sep 03, 2004 1:46 am

I drafted him last year but this year I passed on Schmidt. I drafted Hudson and Santana before him this year. I was scared off by his preseason injury.
Fireball Express
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Go_Giants » Fri Sep 03, 2004 2:09 am

Schmidt was the best pitcher in baseball for 4 months. One fluke groin injury that could have happened to anyone, followed by 2 shaky starts, doesn't diminish what he's done, nor does it mean he's collapsed. Watch him throw 8 shutout innings his next outing. Schmidt's fine. If he weren't striking guys out maybe I'd worry. But he got 8 K's today in only 4 innings. I wish Schmidt owners in my leagues felt the same way as you goons so I could take him off their hands.

EDIT: According to Schmidt, he hasn't been "fully letting go" with the leg drive on his pitches because of a sort of mental block after the groin twist, so he hasn't been getting that extra bite that has made him the most dominant pitcher in the game. He should be back to Schmidt next outing. Unless you're an opposing hitter or a fantasy owner opposing the team that owns Schmidt, I wouldn't worry.
Go_Giants
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby RayD » Fri Sep 03, 2004 12:21 pm

It's actually pretty amazing if you combine the stats for his last two ("bad") outings.

8 IP, 16 K, 3 BB, 1 HR

If you buy into DIPS theory, then K, BB, and HR allowed are pretty much the only stats that have predictive value. Hits and ER range widely from game to game.

Schmidt is fine. His next start's at Coors anyway, though, so benching him wouldn't be a horrible idea.
RayD
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Dodger Blue » Sat Sep 04, 2004 1:21 am

Dude nobody was bitching about Schimdt but something was obviously wrong. Thanks for the info.

Go_Giants wrote:
EDIT: According to Schmidt, he hasn't been "fully letting go" with the leg drive on his pitches because of a sort of mental block after the groin twist, so he hasn't been getting that extra bite that has made him the most dominant pitcher in the game. He should be back to Schmidt next outing. Unless you're an opposing hitter or a fantasy owner opposing the team that owns Schmidt, I wouldn't worry.
Dodger Blue
General Manager
General Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers