AL MVP - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

AL MVP

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Melo255 » Thu Sep 16, 2004 10:29 pm

Kingsac wrote:Sheff gets my vote. that guy is carrying a slumping team and I swear that guy comes through all the time, plus he is playing hurt. Manny has Ortiz behind him, who does sheff have as a legitamate protection?

Actually for almost the entire year Ortiz was batting BEFORE Manny not the other way around. It's only recently that they switched it around. Ortiz has a ton of RBI's because he has had a ton of opportunities. Manny could and and would have had even better numbers this year, say 140-150 rbis if the roles had been reversed and Ortiz hadn't constantly cleared the bases before he came up AND he had Ortiz for protection instead of the other way around. Ortiz is a monster hitter there is no doubt but what Manny has done this year-ALL year-consistently-makes him the easy MVP choice for me especially since his best competition, Vlad, is on a team that lets face it will not make the playoffs. Sheff could sneak in though. Let's see who wins the AL East.
Melo255
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby warrick95 » Thu Sep 16, 2004 10:35 pm

DK wrote:For me, it's a toss-up between Manny and Sheff. I still haven't decided.

Ditto that...I really have to do some deep thinking over the next weeks about this one. I'm really torn between the two.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mtarail » Fri Sep 17, 2004 12:54 am

Manny.
Bluto: Over? Did you say over? NOTHING is over until WE decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? HELL, NO!
Otter: Germans?
Boon: Forget it, he's rolling.
mtarail
General Manager
General Manager

Postby The Jury » Fri Sep 17, 2004 3:42 pm

warrick95 wrote:
DK wrote:For me, it's a toss-up between Manny and Sheff. I still haven't decided.

Ditto that...I really have to do some deep thinking over the next weeks about this one. I'm really torn between the two.

I STRONGLY believe that you can't give it to one of Manny or David Ortiz.

Manny: 41 HR, 118 RBI
Ortiz: 37 HR, 135 RBI

You just can't pick one and hand it out because they're practically the same. If your life depended on picking one, it'd have to be Ortiz because he's the protection as opposed to the protected.

Vlad has had Guillen for most of the season and they've got real similar stats so ditto there.

IMO, you have to give it to Tejada, but Chavez would have given him a huge run for it had he been healthy.
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Tavish » Fri Sep 17, 2004 3:57 pm

You just can't pick one and hand it out because they're practically the same. If your life depended on picking one, it'd have to be Ortiz because he's the protection as opposed to the protected.

Wouldn't that be the other way around? Manny has spent much more time in the cleanup spot with Ortiz batting in front of him.

For a player not on a very good team my vote would go to Hafner.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 70)

Postby thetongueofire » Fri Sep 17, 2004 5:28 pm

Vlad has a 850 obp since July. you gotta do better down the stretch if you wanna be mvp. :-?

not only has Manny hit cleanup more times (100 G, 380 AB) than David whos hit cleanup for 36 games and 134 AB's, but imo Ortiz lost out on it a lil bit when the Sox were slumping and he got suspended for so many games.

like i said before, manny and sheff in a deadlock. their team's performance from now on might as well be the key.
[size=10]Manny Ramirez....$20 million
Pedro Martinez....$17.5 million
Curt Schilling...$12 million (and a $2 million bonus)
Never hearing a Yankee fan chant 1918 again...priceless. [/size]
thetongueofire
General Manager
General Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers