AL MVP - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

AL MVP

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby LCBOY » Mon Sep 13, 2004 3:01 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
George_Foreman wrote:manny (he's a consumate professional; big nomar fiasco, and he just goes out and has one of his best years)
8-o Wow. I didn't think I would ever hear Manny referred to as a "consumate professional".

That's what he is. ;-D

He watches endless hours of video, comes to the park early to take extra batting practice and he has the respect of all his teammates. That seems like a comsumate professional.
LCBOY
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Kingsac » Mon Sep 13, 2004 3:29 pm

Sheff gets my vote. that guy is carrying a slumping team and I swear that guy comes through all the time, plus he is playing hurt. Manny has Ortiz behind him, who does sheff have as a legitamate protection?
A's all wAyS
Kingsac
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BigBlue » Mon Sep 13, 2004 3:42 pm

Kingsac wrote:Sheff gets my vote. that guy is carrying a slumping team and I swear that guy comes through all the time, plus he is playing hurt. Manny has Ortiz behind him, who does sheff have as a legitamate protection?

He's a Yankee for shit sake! Does the name Alex Rodriuez ring a bell? No? How about Hideki Matsui? Still nothing!? How about Jorge Posada! The Yankees are the Cardinals of the AL. No matter where you look, there's always someone on tat team w/ the exact same stats.
BigBlue
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 17)

Postby DK » Mon Sep 13, 2004 7:04 pm

For me, it's a toss-up between Manny and Sheff. I still haven't decided.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Kingsac » Mon Sep 13, 2004 7:12 pm

BigBlue wrote:
Kingsac wrote:Sheff gets my vote. that guy is carrying a slumping team and I swear that guy comes through all the time, plus he is playing hurt. Manny has Ortiz behind him, who does sheff have as a legitamate protection?

He's a Yankee for shit sake! Does the name Alex Rodriuez ring a bell? No? How about Hideki Matsui? Still nothing!? How about Jorge Posada! The Yankees are the Cardinals of the AL. No matter where you look, there's always someone on tat team w/ the exact same stats.

A-Rod bats in front of Sheff, so he benefits from a hot hitting sheff, not the other way around. Yeah Matsui hits in behind Sheff, but that guy is no Ortiz for gods sake and neither is Posada. I think that makes what Sheff has done all the more valuable. If sheff isn't playing the way he has been, Boston would have already passed them, plus he has the injury which i think makes his stats all the more amazing. Look Im not a Yankee fan, but I really think Sheff is having an MVP year, plus the guy doesn't nearly strike out as much as Manny.
A's all wAyS
Kingsac
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby CircleMeBert » Wed Sep 15, 2004 12:22 am

I'd say give it to Vlad. He's carried his team the whole year, even with significant injuries to some of the angels best players.
CircleMeBert
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Transmogrifier » Wed Sep 15, 2004 12:36 pm

The talk of Tejada and Ichiro go out the window for this--they are valuable, sure, but not candidates because of their teams.

It comes down to Vlad, Manny and Sheff.

And I think Manny wins it. Sheff has been amazing, but with that team, it's hard to pick for a Yankee. And Vlad has been good, but he's been in a dive since the break.

Ortiz doesn't get it because of his average and because he's a DH.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Wed Sep 15, 2004 2:39 pm

I would take Sheff over Manny if I had to pick between those two. Sure Sheff's got more talent around him, but it hasn't been performing like it should IMO, therefore he's had to do more than he would normally, but then I still think Pudge should get the award and the three big three of STL should get it too. :-D
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

I am throwing in a cog

Postby Ballwreckers » Wed Sep 15, 2004 5:47 pm

I think Vlad will win the MVP because he had to carry that team when others were hurt or struggling, whike the Red Sox has more talent. If I had to pick, I have to pick Santana. The Twins wouldn't have the big lead like they do now without Santana. Lets face it, the Twins offense is not anything to go wow about and what do the twins have after Santana and Radke as far SP goes? No much. There are occasions when a pitcher should be considered for MVP and Santana should be up there with Sheff and Manny. Ichiro has thrived well on a lack lusting Mariners team, but its not enough to win the MVP.
Ballwreckers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter

Re: I am throwing in a cog

Postby Transmogrifier » Wed Sep 15, 2004 6:48 pm

Ballwreckers wrote:I think Vlad will win the MVP because he had to carry that team when others were hurt or struggling, whike the Red Sox has more talent. If I had to pick, I have to pick Santana. The Twins wouldn't have the big lead like they do now without Santana. Lets face it, the Twins offense is not anything to go wow about and what do the twins have after Santana and Radke as far SP goes? No much. There are occasions when a pitcher should be considered for MVP and Santana should be up there with Sheff and Manny. Ichiro has thrived well on a lack lusting Mariners team, but its not enough to win the MVP.

Guillen and GA don't count? Nor do Glaus or Erstad? yeah, there've been injuries with the Angels, but the Sox have had them too. See Nomar, Trot, Mueller Pokey, Belhorn, etc.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers