Let's get this out of the way - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Let's get this out of the way

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Let's get this out of the way

Postby nsulham » Wed Sep 01, 2004 1:30 pm

Why do I feel like I'm opening Pandora's Box? :-?

Boston's cut the AL East lead from 10.5 to 3.5 after last night. Quite frankly, I'm surprised no one's mentioned anything yet but the majority of Yankee fans here also haven't been around much lately (not calling anyone out, you guys probably had vacations and stuff. Wish I had a vacation :-[ )

Yes, it's still 3.5 games but you've got to say, the Sox are playing amazing ball right now and there HAS to be concern from Yankee fans. I don't buy the "well we got no-hit by Houston last year and went on a roll after". Their pitching was much better last year than it is now. When you're relying on 50-year-old El Duque to stop the bleeding, there's got to be some worries.

Anyone who claims the Yankees rotation is better than the Sox right now is insane. Not even close. Truthfully, no one in that rotation scares me. It's a good thing all their hitters can slug or they might have been caught by now.

So here it is Yankee fans, if any of you guys are still around here. Are you guys legit concerned? You're still in the driver's seat and have a great team but damn, you've got to be concerned don't you?

Oh and save the 1918 stuff. I want a good, intelligent discussion here. Nothing about 1918, Dent, Buckner or any of that crap. We're talking about 2004.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Strasil42 » Wed Sep 01, 2004 1:34 pm

So here it is Yankee fans, if any of you guys are still around here. Are you guys legit concerned? You're still in the driver's seat and have a great team but damn, you've got to be concerned don't you?

Only thing im concerned about is the starting pitching. I think mussina and brown will be in top form by the postseason but vazquez has been crap and dont expect a comeback.

We still got jeter, arod, sheff, bernie, and posada so im not concerned. Yanks always beat the sox and i dont see anything changing.
Strasil42
General Manager
General Manager

Postby AcidRock23 » Wed Sep 01, 2004 1:42 pm

I'm concerned about Vaz as he's my 'ace' on my fantasy team. I finally cut Zito loose but Vaz has been giving up A LOT of runs lately. I am hoping that Manny R is back on track as I can always just bench Vaz but I can still recall the preseason hype.

IRL though, a lot of it's about getting hot at the right moment. Not sure if the Red Sox can keep it up but they ran that defensive play of theirs on WebGems last PM and it looks like instead of the beat up model T infield that they had for the start of the year, they have a 'unit' which may be a big help for them.
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby tlef316 » Wed Sep 01, 2004 2:20 pm

red sox have a much tougher schedule down the stretch, and the yankees are just starting to get healthy. the rotation is certainly a concern, but i still have to believe we will win the east. as others have said, boston just doesnt beat the yankees.

im not saying they dont have a chance, but i still find it hard to believe they can make up 3.5 more games. the yanks cant play this bad forever, especially considering their schedule in september
tlef316
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Sep 01, 2004 2:22 pm

Not a Yankee fan or a Sox fan but I just don't see it happening. The Sox have been playing great and the Yanks are in a tailspin but it is still 3.5 games. The Yanks are this bad and the Sox aren't this good. The Yankees have 31 games left and only 11 of those games are against teams with a winning record. Not that Boston has a very tough shedule but if they are going to finish first in the AL East they are going to have to take 5 of the 6 games they play the Yankees.

The Sports Guy wrote a nice article about the Sox and the Yanks. Check it out
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/st ... ons/040901
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 378)

Postby ramble2 » Wed Sep 01, 2004 3:16 pm

I'm neither a Yankee or Red Sox fan. As a baseball fan, I'm glad to see the AL East race tightening up a bit. I think it's good for baseball. I hope the Sox can keep the pressure on the Yankees, as it will make for more interesting games to be played in September, and will put more pressure on both of their pitching staffs (and more innings on the shoulders of their bullpens).

As for what's going to happen. Well, this next week and a half is going to be really telling. The Yankees have let the Sox back in the race. If the Yankees can push that lead back to 5 or so games, then the Sox will probably have to re-focus on the wild card.

If it's still around 3 games when the Red Sox return from their West Coast trip, well, that's when I'll start really paying attention. After all, the Red Sox final 21 games are against TB, BAL and 6 against NYY. The Sox finish with 3 against TB, whereas the Yankees finish with 3 against MIN. Could get really fun!
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 6)

Postby GrimZeke007 » Wed Sep 01, 2004 3:38 pm

Honestly coming into this season, when I looked at the stats, the 2004 team had improved over the 2003 team in every catagory. I mean according to the stats Vazquez, Brown, Mussina, and Contreras should have been better than Pettitte, Clemens, and Wells. :~(
<a href="http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2242053#2242053">Help rate my team!</a>
GrimZeke007
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby rich101682 » Wed Sep 01, 2004 4:17 pm

tlef316 wrote:im not saying they dont have a chance, but i still find it hard to believe they can make up 3.5 more games.

They do play each other 6 more times this yar.
rich101682
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 53)

Postby KPucks » Wed Sep 01, 2004 4:26 pm

I could care less if the Sox win the division or not. I just want them to make the playoffs, because thats all that counts. We could win the division by 10, but if we lose in the playoffs the division doesn't mean much. I'm more concerned about getting to the playoffs and beating the Yankees there.
KPucks
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby tool069c » Wed Sep 01, 2004 4:59 pm

i wouldn't worry to much about the toughness of either teams schedule, 22-0 to the indians prints my point in bold...
tool069c
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers