Baseball Card Question! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Cards and Memorabilia

Baseball Card Question!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Baseball Card Question!

Postby Sledge » Wed Sep 01, 2004 3:24 am

This may sound stupid, but are cards like these ->

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=55952&item=5118821298&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=55956&item=5119985224&rd=1

Real autographs or are they just reprints? If it sounds stupid I'm sorry, but I don't know anything about cards.
Sledge Beginner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yikes » Wed Sep 01, 2004 3:34 am

I believe they are real autographs but it looks like the market for these sort of collectibles have fallen through the floor
8-o
Insert Signature Here...
Yikes
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby LBJackal » Wed Sep 01, 2004 6:20 am

Yep, they're real autographs.

Unfortunately, all the card companes have gone this route (players sign stickers/paper, and it's put onto/into the card) instead of having the actual cards signed, since it's cheaper and easier. I think they look ugly like that and hopefully they'll realize that they have less value to collectors and people would pay more for real autpgraphed cards. I don't mind if it's Babe Ruth or something, because obviously he can't sign any new cards, but come on - dont be so cheap about it. I know the head product developer for UD Basketball, so maybe I should mention something. I'm sure they know already, but if enough people complain.........

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Arlo » Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:06 am

Yikes wrote:I believe they are real autographs but it looks like the market for these sort of collectibles have fallen through the floor
8-o

Yep, things have certainly changed since the first Leaf signature set was released...

(Still love that set, by the way. :-) )
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Baseballer02 » Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:51 am

Wow, a card #'d to 265 isn't even at a $10 bid yet. It's a lot different from when I collected, when anything #'d under 1000 was considered rare and had good value. I remember pulling a Randy Johnson Fleer Ultra Platinum Medallion, which was #'d to 100. Was worth $60 at the time(years ago), but I bet most cards #'d to 100 don't go for more than $25 now, unless of classic stars.
Baseballer02
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby eftda » Wed Sep 01, 2004 2:35 pm

I too fell for the game-used, and the autograpghed cards. BUt why own a a part of the game, when you could spend twice as much and get the whole jersey or the whole baseball. Thats what my Dad said and since then I've gone out and gotten a Cal Ripken Baseball, and some other nice things. I also was into Bobbleheads untill they became like hot cakes. I tell ya, businesses have runied alof of baseball memorabilia. The value and desire are gone.
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Madison » Wed Sep 01, 2004 2:41 pm

Arlo wrote:Yep, things have certainly changed since the first Leaf signature set was released...

(Still love that set, by the way. :-) )

Agreed and agreed. ;-D

I had to get my Ivan Rodriguez through an online dealer in California. 8-o It was worth it though. :-)

Now it seems the market is flooded with stuff. I actually thought about getting back into collecting a bit this year, but the sheer volume of stuff turned me off. Maybe when I'm craving baseball in the offseason I'll give it another look. B-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby The Thrill » Tue Oct 05, 2004 2:28 pm

Baseballer02 wrote:Wow, a card #'d to 265 isn't even at a $10 bid yet. It's a lot different from when I collected, when anything #'d under 1000 was considered rare and had good value. I remember pulling a Randy Johnson Fleer Ultra Platinum Medallion, which was #'d to 100. Was worth $60 at the time(years ago), but I bet most cards #'d to 100 don't go for more than $25 now, unless of classic stars.

I recall my dad pulling a 1991 (I think it was '91) Donruss Sandberg Signature. #ed to 5,000 and we were all in awe!!!

I hate to think of what that is listing today. I paid $75 at a show for one myself. Somehow, I don't think that was a good investment...perhaps in the long, long, longer term.
The Thrill
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 51)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Return to Baseball Cards and Memorabilia