The next two defector STARS from cuba - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

The next two defector STARS from cuba

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

The next two defector STARS from cuba

Postby pbeall100281 » Wed Sep 01, 2004 2:14 am

Pestano, Ariel and Cepeda, Frederich. Anyone who can find a way to back this up is an all-timer PIMP of baseball knowledge.
Last edited by pbeall100281 on Wed Sep 01, 2004 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wisdom can give you direction, emotion gets you there. - Jim Rohn
pbeall100281 Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby thehat » Wed Sep 01, 2004 2:19 am

Don't have any info, except that I think you listed them last name first, first name last.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Registered_Guest » Wed Sep 01, 2004 2:20 am

I think I just heard the news on ESPN Deportes 8-o
Registered_Guest
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Tavish » Wed Sep 01, 2004 2:27 am

Well they both played great in the Olympics. Pestano batted over .500, Cepeda just under .500. Pestano is a catcher, but I'm pretty sure he is relatively old (30-ish?). Cepeda is a good outfielder and is only 24.

I highly doubt either one would be "stars" in the Majors. The pitchers from the Cuban team, mainly Vera, would make an impact. Kendry Morales will be a star, but he is under tight guard after already trying to defect.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby Paulie Walnuts » Wed Sep 01, 2004 4:31 am

Frederich Cepeda
Ariel Pestano

Frederich... what a nice that is... :*)
Paulie Walnuts
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby rmeesig » Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:28 am

Tavish wrote: Kendry Morales will be a star, but he is under tight guard after already trying to defect.

I believe he DID defect actually to the Dominican:

http://www.nypost.com/sports/yankees/29488.htm

Say this for the Yankees: They aren't gun-shy when it comes to Cuban free agents

One month after giving up on Contreras, whom they gave $32 million to before the 2003 season, the Yankees will send VPs Lin Garrett and Damon Oppenheimer to the Dominican Republic on Tuesday and Wednesday to scout Kendry Morales, a 21-year-old switch-hitting outfielder/first baseman who will play in games designed to showcase what many believe was the best bat in Cuba before he defected in June. He has established residency in the Dominican.

Garrett has already been to the Dominican to watch Morales work out.

Morales, a Cuban refugee, has been cleared by MLB to talk to clubs. He has retained agents David Valdes and Henry Vilar. The latter has a good relationship with Carlos Rios, the Yankees' coordinator of Latin America scouting.

"The preliminary indications [are] that he looks like a player," Yankee minor league head Mark Newman said of Morales. "The difficult thing is that he has been out of circulation. The information we have on him is old. He has to show what he is."

Morales rarely played outside of Cuba but is considered that country's best position player.

Since the Yankees are involved, they will be among the favorites to land Morales, a player they can never get through the draft. And one they need to re-stock a farm system that is lacking in prospects

As far as baseball knowledge pimps go - not too sure about the other guys mentioned, but as stated above, Kendry is the real deal. He's a top 5 pick in any draft, which is why the Yanks, Sox and Mets all have scouts on him right now.
If a man dwells on the past, then he robs the present.
But if a man ignores the past, he may rob the future.
The seeds of our destiny are nurtured by the roots of our past.
[i]-- Master Po[/i]
rmeesig
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby hybrid » Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:35 am

Yeah Morales defected a bit ago. He has a workout scheduled today in the Dominican Republic for MLB clubs to come and watch him.

The thing is some of the info on him is old cause Cuba hasn't let him play that much where others have seen him. But he is a switch hitting 22 year old, who can play corner outfield and infield positions. From most reports he is advanced enough to play in Double A right now.

If he has a great work out it should be a big bidding war for who gets to sign him. coughyankeescough.....
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby pbeall100281 » Wed Sep 01, 2004 2:00 pm

Thank you, wise all-knowing memebers of the cafe :-)
Wisdom can give you direction, emotion gets you there. - Jim Rohn
pbeall100281 Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Baseball Leftovers