100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Vikings Cut Lesnar

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Vikings Cut Lesnar

Postby Madison » Tue Aug 31, 2004 3:15 pm

Vikings cut Brock Lesnar
Reported by: WrestlingDotCom - 08.30.2004 04:15 PM

Stake $30 - Get $30 FREE! - Multi Player Poker - Play Now!

Associated Press

8/30/2004

EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. (AP) - Brock Lesnar won't be the next big thing in the NFL - at least not this year.

The former pro wrestling star who hadn't played football in nine years, was cut by the Minnesota Vikings on Monday.

Lesnar developed faster than expected and impressed his teammates with hard work. But his lack of football experience - combined with minimal playing time and a groin injury from an April motorcycle accident - were too much to overcome in just one month of training camp.

``He gave me a hug,'' coach Mike Tice said. ``He was very happy for the chance.''

Lesnar, 27, won the 2000 NCAA heavyweight championship at the University of Minnesota, and gained pro wrestling fame as The Next Big Thing.

But despite a seven-year, $45-million US WWE contract, he decided to pursue a professional football career. On the eve of training camp, Lesnar signed a one-year contract with the Vikings for $230,000, the rookie minimum.

``When he called me, that's all he asked for, is an opportunity,'' Tice said. ``I think we gave him a good opportunity to see if this is what he wanted to do.''

Tice declined to speculate about whether Lesnar would be added to the Vikings' practice squad, but said the club would be ``proud'' to allocate him to the NFL's developmental league next spring.

``I suggest to him that he should at some point end up in NFL Europe this year and play,'' Tice said. ``Hopefully, that will be as a Viking.''

Lesnar wasn't available for comment. His agent, Ed Hitchcock, said Lesnar wants to continue his development on the practice squad and in NFL Europe.

``He's committed to this longterm,'' Hitchcock said. ``He's realistic about what it takes to develop.

``There are players who've played this game all their lives who take a couple of years to develop (in the NFL).''

Basically knew he wouldn't make it this year, but if he goes and plays in Europe, then there's a chance of seeing him next year.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue Aug 31, 2004 3:47 pm

Boy am I stunned. I never saw that coming. I thought that he would be a star for sure. ;-7

What's the bet that he fights in the WWE again with some sort of football connection? He will probably steal Rhino's spear move. I wonder if the NFL would try to stop him from wearing a Vikes jersey on RAW?

I'm not saying that McMahon was behind this but it was probably a no lose situation for Lesnar.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 257)

Postby DieHardCubbie » Tue Aug 31, 2004 6:38 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:I'm not saying that McMahon was behind this but it was probably a no lose situation for Lesnar.

8-o ...McMahon would stage a publicity stunt....I can't believe it... ;-7

So I guess I can drop Lesnar from my keeper league... ;-)
[b]Useless Trivia of the day[/b]

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Madison » Tue Aug 31, 2004 6:39 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:I'm not saying that McMahon was behind this but it was probably a no lose situation for Lesnar.

Lesnar walked away from a $45 million dollar contract to play football for $230,000 (league minimum), and now he's unemployeed. That's a decent chunk of change to walk away from. Granted, McMahon still has the contract just in case Lesnar decides to return, but I find it unlikely that he will go back to wrestling. It really seems that he wants to give football a serious shot and he knew going in that he most likely would not make the team this year. I'd say if he doesn't make it next year, then maybe a return to the WWE, but not before then. We'll just have to wait and see. B-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby pomplona's finest » Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:25 pm

Damn! I drafted Lesnar in my IDP league, passed up Ray Lewis because of the Madden curse. ;-7
[URL=http://www.imageshack.us]Image[/URL]

AKA IRON CHEF

Member #5 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
pomplona's finest
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Return to General Talk