I know this isn't the place for it... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

I know this isn't the place for it...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

I know this isn't the place for it...

Postby pbeall100281 » Sat Aug 28, 2004 5:55 am

But I have to say this to my respected friends here at the cafe.

Regarding our pathetic Olympic basketball team and as seen in a LONG thread at http://forums.espn.go.com/espngames/thr ... ortBy=null :

I am embarassed by the performance of our basketball players in the most recent Olympics.
I fault the NBA big whigs and more specifically the way they have altered the rules and manipulated the refereeing. I'm not going to make many friends here, but Michael Jordan was great, but not that great. Put his performances in a college game where the refs don't give a darn who you are and/or objective refereeing and I GARUNTEE that Michael Jordan would have had significant reductions in his scoring, eligibility in games (fouls called against) and overall greatness. (still probably would have been the best even though his title winning shot over Bryon Russell was an offensive foul)

For too long the NBA has allowed and promoted anti-fundamental basketball by allowing traveling, bail-out fouls for stars and no calls against premier players while promoting selfish, impure and boring basketball. Finally this lazy and pompous attitude has come back to disgrace our country. No wonder myself and most of America has turned away from the NBA and to the NFL and MLB(among others)for quality, pure sports play.
Wisdom can give you direction, emotion gets you there. - Jim Rohn
pbeall100281 Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pokey » Sat Aug 28, 2004 12:34 pm

I agree with you completely, the NBA is pathetic these days.
Pokey
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bleach168 » Sat Aug 28, 2004 1:01 pm

I agree.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 17)

Postby Fireball Express » Sat Aug 28, 2004 1:11 pm

I stopped watching NBA years ago.
I'm into NCAA basketball though. Those kids go out there and play their hardest for the love of the game. It's more of a team sport and they stress fundamentals.

NBA lost it when the dunk became a bigger play than the jumper. I'll take "nothing but net" over a rocking backboard anyday.
Fireball Express
General Manager
General Manager

Postby KolbSaves » Sat Aug 28, 2004 1:31 pm

I don't agree but hey why waste our time with a long post. (edit: of mine)
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
-Isaac Newton
KolbSaves
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Mugrila » Sat Aug 28, 2004 1:33 pm

maybe its just me but i really don't see what the big deal about dunking is. its cool if somebody is like 5'10" and doing it but for somebody 6'8" its really not that difficult. now for somebody to hit a round ball coming at 90 mph from about 60 feet with a round bat out of a ballpark is something to cheer for. i don't watch the NBA and i have little to no interest in doing so in the future. :-t
Mugrila
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby Strasil42 » Sat Aug 28, 2004 1:41 pm

i dont agree at all and i actually think this is one of the dumbest things ive ever seen on the board and thats counting fatguywithamullets posts. The points about the nba going downhill are fine and i agree but i cant get over this.

I'm not going to make many friends here, but Michael Jordan was great, but not that great.

Thats boarderline mental retardation.
Strasil42
General Manager
General Manager

Postby DK » Sat Aug 28, 2004 2:04 pm

Strasil42 wrote:
I'm not going to make many friends here, but Michael Jordan was great, but not that great.

Jordan WAS great. He could never have dunked in his career and he'd still be the Black Jesus in Sneakers (or so proclaimed by multiple NBA players). Jordan and Chamberlain were playing another game. They were that good. These two, Ruth, Ali, and now Bonds are transcending their respective sports.

Saying that Jordan wasn't great is like saying Mets fans are happy with Fred Wilpon. It's simply a dim-witted, unintelligent, untrue statement.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby bleach168 » Sat Aug 28, 2004 2:42 pm

The original poster's point was that Jordan would not be near as great if he didn't receive all the referee bias. He never said Jordan wasn't great.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 17)

Postby raiders_umpire » Sat Aug 28, 2004 2:43 pm

Strasil42 wrote:i dont agree at all and i actually think this is one of the dumbest things ive ever seen on the board and thats counting fatguywithamullets posts. The points about the nba going downhill are fine and i agree but i cant get over this.

Thats boarderline mental retardation.

i agree with strasil also...as i would love to know what basketball games u saw that michael jordan was not great in.......MJ was hands down twice as good as about any other basketball player we will ever see.......
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to General Talk