Anyone else hate Frasor? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Anyone else hate Frasor?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby mcqfesijiba » Fri Aug 27, 2004 11:11 pm

It's almost like Putz and Frasor switched. Frasor was good all year, but has been horrible lately, Putz was horrible all year, but has been good lately. This has been one crazy year for closers.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Fireball Express » Fri Aug 27, 2004 11:38 pm

Sadly enough both Putz and Frasor are both on my team. Even sadder part is that I NEED them both.

With Wagner on the DL, I was forced to shake and bake. I included Mesa in a trade for Smoltz.

In my ten team H2H league there is not one closer available on the Wire.
Fireball Express
General Manager
General Manager

Postby GrimZeke007 » Sat Aug 28, 2004 12:38 am

WHOAH WHOAH WHOAH HOLD THE MAYO

Notes: Different approach for Frasor
By Spencer Fordin / MLB.com

Jason Frasor is 0-1 with a 9.31 ERA in August. (Rick Stewart/Getty Images)

TORONTO -- It's a mercy move, more than anything else.
After weeks of watching Jason Frasor struggle with the game on the line, Toronto manager John Gibbons wants to try a different approach. He won't forget about Frasor, but he won't use him exclusively as a closer either.

"We're not in a pennant race. We've got to do what's best for the kid right now, since he's a big part of it," said Gibbons. "I'm not saying he's out of that closing role, but don't be surprised if you see him a little earlier."

It's a decision weeks in the making, prompted by a slow fade from Frasor. The right-hander has had problems finishing things off lately, working much harder than he did in the first few months. Frasor is 0-1 with a 9.31 ERA in August, more than double his next-worst month (a 3.75 mark in June).

"It seems like there have been a lot of hits, as of late. I fall behind a guy, come in there for a strike. Hit," he said on Friday night. "If I get ahead, I'm leaving one over the plate. I haven't punched a lot of guys out lately, and when they're hitting them, they're hitting them hard."

Still, despite his struggles, Frasor has done an admirable job in the ninth. He's 16-for-17 in save opportunities this season, and he leads AL rookies in both saves and appearances (51). He's made a couple games closer than expected, though, giving Gibbons a reason to switch things up.

In short, this isn't the same guy who threw 20 straight scoreless innings earlier in the season. The skipper said that a brief respite from the pressures of the ninth inning might do wonders for Frasor's flagging confidence. And the same theory applies to Vinnie Chulk, who's been serving as a setup man in recent weeks.

"You've got to protect them," he said of his young players. "Sometimes, you've got to give the guy a little breathing room to get back on track. Then you put them back in the same role."

So who steps into the void? Gibbons said he'll use his whole bullpen, but veterans like Justin Speier and Kerry Ligtenberg will factor into the mix. Speier has been particularly hot -- he's allowed just six earned runs in his last 22 appearances, good for a 2.16 ERA over that corresponding time-frame.

"We'll probably start going with Spy a little more. He's pitched good and he's been through the long season, with results," said Gibbons. "We're not going to eliminate any particular role, but we're going to use them all and give Vinnie some more breathing room."
<a href="http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2242053#2242053">Help rate my team!</a>
GrimZeke007
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Madison » Sat Aug 28, 2004 1:01 am

Thanks for the article. ;-D

Amazingly, I went and checked the league where I have Frasor and there sat Affeldt. :-B Add Affeldt, drop Frasor. Thanks. :-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby thehat » Sat Aug 28, 2004 5:45 am

Frasor overachieved all season. Be thankful for what you got, and now find someone else. Think he's worn out.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Fireball Express » Sat Aug 28, 2004 11:11 am

Given the fact that there are no true closers on my Waiver Wire; would you guys suggest dropping Frasor for Speier.
Fireball Express
General Manager
General Manager

Postby thehat » Sun Aug 29, 2004 12:21 am

Fireball Express wrote:Given the fact that there are no true closers on my Waiver Wire; would you guys suggest dropping Frasor for Speier.

Seems worth a stab. Speier has been pretty good lately and certainly looks like the first option for now.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Ender » Sun Aug 29, 2004 12:59 am

Closers have bad months, especially young closers. You are all insane for dropping him for some may be a closer next week type players.

August

5.14 ERA, 1.57 WHIP, 0-3 1 BS.... drop this loser right, he sucks?

Yep thats Eric Gagne in August.

Closers are the ultimate victem of small sample size and Frasor is no different. He has 0 blown saves this month and 7 of his 10 ER's are in non save situations where all closers seem to suck for some reason.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby thehat » Sun Aug 29, 2004 4:55 am

Ender wrote:Closers have bad months, especially young closers. You are all insane for dropping him for some may be a closer next week type players.

August

5.14 ERA, 1.57 WHIP, 0-3 1 BS.... drop this loser right, he sucks?

Yep thats Eric Gagne in August.

Closers are the ultimate victem of small sample size and Frasor is no different. He has 0 blown saves this month and 7 of his 10 ER's are in non save situations where all closers seem to suck for some reason.

You're wrong in this case, Ender. Frasor has been removed as the closer in Toronto. Note that this is according to their manager, and he has followed through by using Frasor in completely different situations the last two times out. Speier has pitched very well lately and seems the obvious selection to get whatever save opps present themselves in the near future for this entry.

UPDATE: And so now I can apologize to Ender as Frasor comes on to record one of the shakier saves you'll ever see on Sunday. Once again, we have a manager who says one thing and does another. (Ever notice it's never the good skippers like LaRussa, Cox and a handful of others who pull this stuff?) My bad for actually thinking this guy would follow thru on what he said would happen, and the accompanying admission to Ender...you were right, I was wrong.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Ender » Mon Aug 30, 2004 12:48 am

Given Frasors age and Toronto's situation atm I'd find it highly unlikely they'll actually replace him. The point was pitchers slump, all pitchers slump. They have their good months and their bad months and the number of bad months increases a lot when they are young becuase they don't pitch well when they don't have their 'best stuff'. Frasor is having a bad period as is Cordero(happens to be one of my other closers). This does not mean you should be dropping these guys for flavor of the month completely unproven guys though. Bench them maybe but totally drop them, no. 2 weeks down the line frasor could easily be pitching the way he did the past 2 months, which was a very solid closer.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers