Who's been to Wrigley this year? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Chicago Cubs

Who's been to Wrigley this year?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Who's been to Wrigley this year?

Postby ironman » Thu Aug 26, 2004 2:36 pm

Well I'm off to make my annual pilgrimage to Wrigley this weekend. Has anyone been to Wrigley this year? I've heard that Wrigleyville has become more Bourbon Street than Main Street. People are coming earlier and staying later. Last year I went in May and it wasn't that nutty yet. Since they've become a playoff contender it looks like its been pretty wild at the games.
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 97)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mustangs989 » Thu Aug 26, 2004 5:35 pm

I went to the 3 games against SF in May, it wasn't near as crazy as it was last year when I went to a few games in September.
Mustangs989
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

I hate Wrigley

Postby mitchb13 » Tue Oct 05, 2004 12:04 am

I actually have come to hate Wrigley. I've been going there since I was a kid and it's changed for the worse. The yuppies have taken it over and the price of a ticket has gotten outrageous. I also hate what they did with the wall behind home. Took down that big beautiful wall so that more of the rich could watch the game.

Then there are the frat boys in standing room only that like to trip you while you are holding 3 beers and 2 nachos. I'll just watch them on TV from now on. When I want to go to a ballpark, I'll pay $5 and go to US Cellular.
Mitch Bartlett
mitchb13
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Re: I hate Wrigley

Postby ironman » Wed Oct 13, 2004 5:48 pm

mitchb13 wrote:I actually have come to hate Wrigley. I've been going there since I was a kid and it's changed for the worse. The yuppies have taken it over and the price of a ticket has gotten outrageous. I also hate what they did with the wall behind home. Took down that big beautiful wall so that more of the rich could watch the game.

Then there are the frat boys in standing room only that like to trip you while you are holding 3 beers and 2 nachos. I'll just watch them on TV from now on. When I want to go to a ballpark, I'll pay $5 and go to US Cellular.

Sadly I know what you mean. I've made a point to try and go to one game every year. Since 1998 there has only been one year that I didn't go to Wrigley. Every game I've sat in the bleachers. When I went this year it was really kind of sad. The bleachers were full of rich suburban families or fair-weather fans that couldn't tell you half the guys were and could care less who they were playing. I tried to get a "Right Field Sucks!" chant going, but to no avail, just lots of blank stares. Two years ago the entire left field bleachers would be chiming in and within a matter of seconds, right field would fire right back with "Left Field Sucks!" This year I couldn't even get a majority of my section to do it! Also the heckling has completely disappeared. I steer clear of harsh profanity with "sucks" and "jackass" being the worst things I yell, but back in the day the bleacher bums were excellent at getting under the opposing players' skin. Now everyone just sits there. Heck I doubt anyone throws an opposing home run back any more. Of my Wrigley visits this was probably my worst one. Having said that....

.....I'll be back. ;-)
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby A Ram is god » Thu Feb 17, 2005 8:29 pm

well i made the trip to the north side 42 times last year.

as i am a seaon ticket holder, i only had a few of fmy tix go to waste last year, its an all time new record.
A Ram is god
College Coach
College Coach

Postby RugbyD » Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:44 pm

as a season ticket holder, i make lots of money off stupid yuppies, but still attend a decent number of games. The bleachers have moderated over the last 15 years. Hell, even over the last 7 years. Me and 8 buddies showed Tony Gwynn how real fans can heckle for 9 straight innings. For evidence, go to your local library and find our picture in the Chicago Sun-Times from May 16, 1997 by a recap of the Cubs/Padres game. Take special notice of the attire of the kid in the lower right corner compared to ours.

yeah the tribune has deep pockets, but you expect them to run things like a business and if you want the Cubs to win, they gotta spend money, and to spend money, they gotta make money. more seats + higher proces accomplishes this. or we could just hire billy beane.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 4)

Postby ironman » Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:45 am

RugbyD wrote:as a season ticket holder, i make lots of money off stupid yuppies, but still attend a decent number of games. The bleachers have moderated over the last 15 years. Hell, even over the last 7 years. Me and 8 buddies showed Tony Gwynn how real fans can heckle for 9 straight innings. For evidence, go to your local library and find our picture in the Chicago Sun-Times from May 16, 1997 by a recap of the Cubs/Padres game. Take special notice of the attire of the kid in the lower right corner compared to ours.

yeah the tribune has deep pockets, but you expect them to run things like a business and if you want the Cubs to win, they gotta spend money, and to spend money, they gotta make money. more seats + higher proces accomplishes this. or we could just hire billy beane.

On two occasions my buddies and I heckled the crap out of Todd Hollandsworth, once when he was with LA, and once with Colorado.

Funny how karma bites you in the ass sometimes.

Question RugbyD. How much do you sell your tix for generally?
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby RugbyD » Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:01 pm

ironman wrote:Question RugbyD. How much do you sell your tix for generally?

varies widely. I'm in 201 (terrace reserve, LF corner), 2 seats. cubs/sox brings 150-180. average night or weekend game with decent weather will bring 60-80, depending on the team. the highest i got was 202 for the maddux 300 game and that was before the nomar announcement was made.

ended up making ~400 per seat above cost. we went to 15-20 games between me and my buddy and assorted non-paying family and friends. gave away 3 games to bums cuz we couldn't sell them or find anyone to go on 1hr notice.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 4)

Postby rolen187 » Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:05 am

i go to all the cardinals games at wrigley every year and try to catch a game or two (regardless of who is playing) when i am up there for business. Wrigleyville is over run with 20 somethings who arent from chicago....that is why it is like a frat party, being in my 20s i cant say i totally complain, but i do sypathize with those who have scorecards....my advice??? dump your loser team and make the 4 hour drive to busch where you can actually see a winner and REAL BASEBALL FANS!!!!!!!

-WEAR IT ;-D
rolen187
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 19)

Postby ironman » Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:27 pm

rolen187 wrote:i go to all the cardinals games at wrigley every year and try to catch a game or two (regardless of who is playing) when i am up there for business. Wrigleyville is over run with 20 somethings who arent from chicago....that is why it is like a frat party, being in my 20s i cant say i totally complain, but i do sypathize with those who have scorecards....my advice??? dump your loser team and make the 4 hour drive to busch where you can actually see a winner and REAL BASEBALL FANS!!!!!!!

-WEAR IT ;-D

Bah! Never! Although I have to say the Cards fans were the most fun to hang out with. I was at a Cubs-Cards series in '03 at Chicago and had a blast. We'd go back and forth with them about who's better and then we'd buy each other a beer.
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Chicago Cubs