soriano has been a disappointment - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

soriano has been a disappointment

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Strasil42 » Fri Aug 27, 2004 6:24 pm

I make predictions that are actually intresting.

Interesting, yet stupid. :-)

Haha just playing. Nice call on soriano having a down year tho zig.
Strasil42
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AcidRock23 » Fri Aug 27, 2004 9:13 pm

I believe that his predictions may have engendered more discussion than any others I can recall. Despite Santana and Zito, he was SPOT ON re Morgan Ensberg. 1/3= .333 which is OK for baseball!! Y'all need to lighten up on the 'I have Santana and Zito is God was wrong' crap. It basically ruins any thread about Santana OR Zito.

Thanks for livening up the forum!!! ;-D ;-D ;-D

PS, I dumped Santana onto the waiver wire but was able to get him back after he started to warm back up. I also traded (Garrett Anderson AND Foulke 8-o ) for Zito, maybe 2 weeks into the season, when the Anderson back rumors began and I was in need of a starter, and Zito stunk it up, just tossing enough decent balls to make me put him in occasionally to try to get a good outing out of him. Two weeks ago, in second place, I dumped him onto the waiver wire and...the first place team picked him up...I am calling him the ZBomb for now and hoping he doesn't go nuts!!

Zito is God wrote:
GameOn wrote:
Zito is God wrote:I predicted for Soriano to not live up to the hupe this year.
quote]

You also predicted that Johan Santana would not live up to the hype

Umm...I don't really get why people keep bringing that up. You have your good predictions and bad ones. I try to make really bold predictions at the start of the season (for each sport) so it makes it intresting. Anyone can say Jose Hernandez will not hit .300 and then be happy they were right, I make predictions that are actually intresting. ;-D
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Fri Aug 27, 2004 10:19 pm

Strasil42 wrote:

When a down year still leaves you ranked in the top 75 players, it's hard to get too disappinted in a guy, IMO.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby Zito is God » Fri Aug 27, 2004 11:57 pm

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:
Strasil42 wrote:

When a down year still leaves you ranked in the top 75 players, it's hard to get too disappinted in a guy, IMO.

It is when you were considered a top 5 player at the start. :-D

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby George_Foreman » Sat Aug 28, 2004 3:00 am

Zito is God wrote:

It is when you were considered a top 5 player at the start. :-D

So true, so true... :~(
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Lofunzo » Sat Aug 28, 2004 6:05 pm

I was still high on Soriano because I refuse to let a playoff series, be it good or bad, dictate how I pick someone. If you want to drop Soriano because he sucked in the playoffs, then where does that put Beckett in this year's draft?? In the 1st round?? How about Glaus last year?? I drafted Soriano #3 overall and, while disappointed in his overall production, I am still leading my roto league. It's only 1 pick. I would bet you that I could win some leagues by taking Billy Koch #1 overall. It would hurt me and make it more difficult but it is the later rounds that make or break your team. I got Schmidt in the 9th round and Varitek in the 10th. I got Miggy Cabrera in the 11th or 12th. You get the point. If you do well in the rest of your draft, you can overcome a bust somewhere else, even in the 1st round.
Last edited by Lofunzo on Sat Aug 28, 2004 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Strasil42 » Sat Aug 28, 2004 6:42 pm

Thats about 70 spots back from what he was drafted. Id call that a disappointment.
Strasil42
General Manager
General Manager

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Sat Aug 28, 2004 7:26 pm

I'm generally not disappointed if a guy finishes with a ranking within 50-75 spots of where I drafted him. It's unrealistic to expect every player to produce with such absolute consistency. In my 16 team league, what Soriano has done is basically the difference between a 1st round and a 4th to 5th round pick. That's hardly a catastrophic drop.

Look at some of the other players typically drafted in the first two rounds:
Anderson, Sosa, Sexson, Boone, Nomar, Wells, Wilson, Bagwell, Jones, Delgado.

Soriano's really been in the middle range of performance among top draft picks...less than expected, but hardly a big disappointment.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby willieroe » Sat Aug 28, 2004 7:32 pm

Count me disappointed also - not for his hitting, but for his running. What happened to the 35-40 SB? Soriano has 11 for the season - only 8 since April 10.
willieroe
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Ender » Sun Aug 29, 2004 1:03 am

Soriano is a stud by position even this year, but yeah I wish I had taken someone else 1st round for sure. He's a 3rdish round pick with this season and thats only becuase 2b blows so much.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers