soriano has been a disappointment - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

soriano has been a disappointment

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

soriano has been a disappointment

Postby Gordonx42 » Thu Aug 26, 2004 12:36 pm

in the last month, he has only 5 hr, .250 avg., 1 steal!, and 11 rbi. this certainly isn't first round production.
Gordonx42
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Bea Arthur » Thu Aug 26, 2004 12:48 pm

i wouldn't give up on him just yet. That lineup is stacked for years to come. At worst, he's maybe slipped to a second round pick. Still a certain keeper, and his upside is still there.
Bea Arthur
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Zito is God » Thu Aug 26, 2004 12:52 pm

I predicted for Soriano to not live up to the hupe this year.

But that bieng said, in a dynasty/keeper league he is easily a first rounder if not a top 5 pick.

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Thu Aug 26, 2004 12:55 pm

I didn't really see this coming at all. He hasn't been a total bust I don't guess, but I was really high on him coming into this season. He's still a no brainer for keeping in that lineup though.
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby Madison » Thu Aug 26, 2004 1:06 pm

Season numbers:

.278-24-74 with 66 runs and 11 steals.

While it's not great by any means, it's still from the shallowest position in all of baseball. I'd keep him for next year if I could.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby perlick29 » Thu Aug 26, 2004 1:24 pm

Madison wrote:Season numbers:

While it's not great by any means, it's still from the shallowest position in all of baseball. I'd keep him for next year if I could.

Mad while that's true, he was like the third to fourth pick overall, and he didn't give anyone much production to be drafted that high.

To me, that's why I usually end up punting my second baseman until the later rounds.
Forget the man crush. I drop what I'm doing to watch Zack Greinke pitch.
perlick29
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafecasterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Madison » Thu Aug 26, 2004 1:48 pm

perlick29 wrote:
Madison wrote:Season numbers:

Mad while that's true, he was like the third to fourth pick overall, and he didn't give anyone much production to be drafted that high.

To me, that's why I usually end up punting my second baseman until the later rounds.

Oh I agree. I used a 4th overall to get him in a roto league. He went way higher than his value so far this year. Has not lived up to the expectations at all.

I'd still keep him if I could though. ;-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby shortsavage » Thu Aug 26, 2004 1:59 pm

Soriano had a red flag next to his name on my keeper league draft sheet last December. After his pathetic play in the 2003 playoffs, I was pretty surprised that many people still used their first pick on Soriano going into 2004.

Second base hasn't been as shallow this season either. Juan Uribe, Ryan Freel, Tony Womack, Jose Vidro, Bret Boone, Luis Castillo, D'Angelo Jimenez, Ron Belliard, Mark Bellhorn, Jeff Kent, Brian Roberts, Michael Young and Mark Loretta have all been solid options at 2b, and many of them could have come at a garage sale discount. So, Soriano's boosted value do to position scarcity only really shines in AL-only leagues.
Mike Pelfrey > Matt Garza
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby Madison » Thu Aug 26, 2004 2:05 pm

shortsavage wrote:Second base hasn't been as shallow this season either. Juan Uribe, Ryan Freel, Tony Womack, Jose Vidro, Bret Boone, Luis Castillo, D'Angelo Jimenez, Ron Belliard, Mark Bellhorn, Jeff Kent, Brian Roberts, Michael Young and Mark Loretta have all been solid options at 2b, and many of them could have come at a garage sale discount. So, Soriano's boosted value do to position scarcity only really shines in AL-only leagues.

8-o

I didn't check any numbers, but that name sticks out like a sore thumb. Boone's having a terrible year. :-P
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby stumpak » Thu Aug 26, 2004 3:24 pm

I don't see how you can be too disappointed--he is prone to extended stints of crappiness (see summer 2003), and it was widely expected that steals would drop in Texas.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers