What's There to do in Melbourne, Australia? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

What's There to do in Melbourne, Australia?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby DieHardCubbie » Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:45 am

Thanks for the report Yikes.... :-)

Glad you had a great trip..... ;-D
[b]Useless Trivia of the day[/b]

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby LBJackal » Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:02 am

Yikes wrote:Thanks for all the suggestions guys. It was a pretty fun and interesting trip to Australia.

Some things I learned on the Trip:
1. Victoria Bitter is a pretty good beer, much better than Fosters. Fosters is kinda the Budweiser of Australia - a beer that isn't that good but proclaims to the be a national beer. ;-)

Always good to add more beers to your repertoire ;-D

6. Australia pretty much tags along with the US in all the wars (e.g. Vietnam, Korean, Iraq) because it views the US as a strategic ally. The government seems to be concerned with the possibility that Indonesia will invade Australia (i.e. the AUS embassy was just bombed in Jakarta last week) and it hopes it is building a credit with the US armed forces. Many locals disagree with AUS military actions because it see the AUS gov't treating the country like the 51st US state. 8-o

I think every country feels that way (51st state, I mean).

7. The most popular sports there is Footy, Rugby and Cricket. Nobody there has ever heard of the Australian baseball player Geoff Jenkins :-D

By footy do you mean Aussie Rules? Because I thought they called soccer "soccer" out there. And I got the Aussie that was here for one semester hooked on baseball last year. Now he's keeping up-to-date with it, and even eMailed me at the shock of the Yanks getting A-Rod :-b

10. People there are very friendly. Everybody was just real kind and generous. ;-D

That's been my experience with Aussie's too. I only know a few (from Canberra though) and they were both pretty nice. Hopefully I'll be able to make a trip out there someday. Germany is on top of the lsit for the 2006 World Cup though.

Good to hear that the extra weekend was worth it ;-D

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Madison » Tue Sep 14, 2004 1:56 pm

Glad to hear you had such a great trip Yikes. ;-D

Yikes wrote:6. Australia pretty much tags along with the US in all the wars (e.g. Vietnam, Korean, Iraq) because it views the US as a strategic ally. The government seems to be concerned with the possibility that Indonesia will invade Australia (i.e. the AUS embassy was just bombed in Jakarta last week) and it hopes it is building a credit with the US armed forces. Many locals disagree with AUS military actions because it see the AUS gov't treating the country like the 51st US state.

Hmm......Australia as our 51st state? Doesn't sound like such a bad idea. :-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby thetongueofire » Tue Sep 14, 2004 4:21 pm

Madison wrote:Glad to hear you had such a great trip Yikes. ;-D

Yikes wrote:6. Australia pretty much tags along with the US in all the wars (e.g. Vietnam, Korean, Iraq) because it views the US as a strategic ally. The government seems to be concerned with the possibility that Indonesia will invade Australia (i.e. the AUS embassy was just bombed in Jakarta last week) and it hopes it is building a credit with the US armed forces. Many locals disagree with AUS military actions because it see the AUS gov't treating the country like the 51st US state.

Hmm......Australia as our 51st state? Doesn't sound like such a bad idea. :-D

yea but they play cricket. :-o :-)
[size=10]Manny Ramirez....$20 million
Pedro Martinez....$17.5 million
Curt Schilling...$12 million (and a $2 million bonus)
Never hearing a Yankee fan chant 1918 again...priceless. [/size]
thetongueofire
General Manager
General Manager

Postby NZF » Tue Sep 14, 2004 5:33 pm

Thanks for the update Yikes, I'm glad you enjoyed yourself. You didn't watch any footie (Aussie Rules)?

Also not suprised they have never heard of Geoff Jenkins from the Brewers since he was born in Washington. Dave Nilsson ex Brewer would have rung a few bells with them. Only seem to be Aussie pitchers in the bigs these days and with Grant Balfour the best of them it doesn't say alot does it :-b Luke Prokopec, Graeme Lloyd, Damian Moss :-t

Makes you wonder how they could make it to the gold medal playoff at the Olympics :-?
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to General Talk