ETHICS QUESTION IN MY SOFTBALL LEAGUE - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

ETHICS QUESTION IN MY SOFTBALL LEAGUE

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

ETHICS QUESTION IN MY SOFTBALL LEAGUE

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Aug 24, 2004 4:23 pm

I play in a men's softball league and something has come up. We have a rule in place where if you get thrown out of a game, you are automatically suspended for the next game. A player on the other team disputed a strike call and then grounded out. When he hit the ball, he whipped his bat and just missed our catcher's head by inches. Then, he rushed the ump, was cussing, and needed to be restrained by 3-4 guys. This is the 3rd time that he has been kicked out of a game this year. The kicker here is that we have a best-of-3 playoff series and he got kicked out of game 2. The manager of the other team also happens to be the commish of the league. As an aside, we had a player on our team get thrown out of a game earlier this year and the commish was there and he said that according to league rules, he had to sit out a game. Fair enough. Well, at the end of the game, he was whining to the ump not to suspend him for the next game and the ump agreed. I don't care. It's a rule in the league that he sit out. I am having a dilemma in that I don't want to win cheap but rules are rules. Any thoughts??
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ensanimal » Tue Aug 24, 2004 4:28 pm

that is absolutely ridiculous. especially considering the circumstances involving the bat throwing and charging the ump. 8-o

any way that your team could have a strike, and not end up forfeiting? :-?

i really don't know what else to say, except that if the guy does play, whip their team in game 3. ;-D
ensanimal

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 113)

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Aug 24, 2004 4:31 pm

Thanks for the response. If we play our game, we should destroy them. I don't want to overreact but it's the principle here. Our guy sat out based on league rules. I don't see why they would be changed here.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby slomo007 » Tue Aug 24, 2004 4:34 pm

Agreed, rules are rules. However, I must point out, it's just a mens softball league, and the guy must be a complete loser to pull a Roger Clemens and worry that much about something that means so little.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue Aug 24, 2004 4:46 pm

He should sit out.

Besides it would be good for him to cool down. Maybe he will learn something and he won't blow his lid (says the guy who has led his hockey team in penalty minutes three years in a row O:-) )
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)

Postby ensanimal » Tue Aug 24, 2004 4:50 pm

slomo007 wrote:about something that means so little.

maybe in the grand scheme of things it doesn't mean a lot, but i'm guessing that to lo and the other guys it means a whole bunch.
ensanimal

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 113)

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Aug 24, 2004 4:53 pm

ensanimal wrote:

maybe in the grand scheme of things it doesn't mean a lot, but i'm guessing that to lo and the other guys it means a whole bunch.

It does mean a lot but I definitely have things in perspective. While it is just a game, we only play 1 season per year and I don't wanna just hand it away. :-?
Lofunzo

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue Aug 24, 2004 5:32 pm

ensanimal wrote:

yeah, I didn't see that. Not the nicest thing to say but Slomo's a good sort, I'm sure that he didn't mean it to sound like that.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)

Postby eftda » Tue Aug 24, 2004 6:16 pm

He should play the next game... I love how MLB handles their playoff games, where if you are thrown out, nothing happenes till the next year. But he should be forced to sit out the 1st game next year.
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Aug 24, 2004 6:19 pm

eftda wrote:He should play the next game... I love how MLB handles their playoff games, where if you are thrown out, nothing happenes till the next year. But he should be forced to sit out the 1st game next year.

Even if there is precedence and the rules clearly state that he sits out the next game??

The commish/manager just called me asking about the time of our next game. Then, he smoothly brought up the issue. I just said that the rules are the rules and that someone could have been hurt when he threw the bat. My catcher has partial vision is his eye as it is. After a few seconds, he agreed and we left it at that.
Lofunzo

Next

Return to General Talk