Statheads - The Bane of Baseball - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Statheads - The Bane of Baseball

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby DieHardCubbie » Tue Aug 24, 2004 2:50 am

pomplona's finest wrote:
Rico The Retard wrote:just so your wondering i guarantee u im not fatguy go ahead and check the ip addresses if u want i aint him i dunno y he wrote that probably just to make all of you think that i was him or something

Wouldn't it be funny if fatguy and rico were the same person? If you think about their history it sorta all makes sense.

Fatguy seems like a true intellectual who sometimes makes interesting arguments, and other times burst out with stupid comments and strange ideas. Rico is the freewheeling personality if you will, who lets loose and attempts to keep the two identities from merging.

And Rico how do we know you arent using different computers? ;-)

Ok...just to stop the conspiracy...I have checked them both...and they are not the same... ;-)
[b]Useless Trivia of the day[/b]

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DieHardCubbie » Tue Aug 24, 2004 2:51 am

wrveres wrote:
AcidRock23 wrote:how would you play fantasy baseball w/o stats?

exactly ...

if we as a group were playing baseball, Mullet would have a point.
But alas, we are not. We are playing 'fantasy baseball' and lo and behold it is based upon ... ... .. ...

stats!

imagine that ?!?!? ;-)

True.... ;-D
[b]Useless Trivia of the day[/b]

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Arlo » Tue Aug 24, 2004 8:16 am

Mangey wrote:In regard to those numbers, I didn't pull them out of the air - but my source may have. Bill James mentions them in the "New Historical Baseball Abstract" - but only offhandedly, so I cannot confirm if they are accurate or invented.

Those numbers are based on computer simulations.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby pomplona's finest » Tue Aug 24, 2004 8:24 am

Ok...just to stop the conspiracy...I have checked them both...and they are not the same...

And how do you know Rico isn't using seperate IP addresses? :-?
[URL=http://www.imageshack.us]Image[/URL]

AKA IRON CHEF

Member #5 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
pomplona's finest
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby Bricklayer » Tue Aug 24, 2004 4:22 pm

Rico The Retard wrote:just so your wondering i guarantee u im not fatguy go ahead and check the ip addresses if u want i aint him i dunno y he wrote that probably just to make all of you think that i was him or something

That's just what I expected you to say... ;-)
Bricklayer
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Tavish » Tue Aug 24, 2004 4:50 pm

Bricklayer wrote:

That's just what I expected you to say... ;-)

What? Something nearly incomprehensible? You don't have to go too far out on a limb to expect that from the retard.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 23)

Postby jellyroll » Tue Aug 24, 2004 5:03 pm

I got bored reading through all this. As an A's fan, having read "Moneyball" and more over actually followed Beane there are several reoccurring misinterpretations of Beane.

1. Drive is important more important than natural ability. Lenny "Nails" Dykstra was a better ball player than Bill Beane. This is not specifically because of statistics OPS or OBP ave, etc it is because Nails wanted to play, had the passion for it and developed into a player. While Billy had the natural ability he flopped right out of MLB while Nails had a good career.

2. Team chemistry is important. Yes, he will take chances on guys he perceives as undervalued as long as the gain isn't detrimental to the team. But look at the bench and bullpen it is a young team with several key veteran leaders. By design this saves money and provides valuable experience so the team can grow together.

Qualms I see as valid against Beane:

Closers – not important because the data set is too small to effectively evaluate
Small ball – stealing overrated, risk/reward not beneficial to team
jellyroll
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bboy » Tue Aug 24, 2004 7:13 pm

I'm pretty sure if I was picking a baseball team to actually play stats would only be one consideration. For example a strong defensive shortstop is pretty handy and a third baseman with a strong arm is too but if they can't hit the ball why would you care in fantasy baseball.

As other have said fantasy baseball is a game, that's all. A game based entirely on stats. I can watch and appreciate the real thing with all the intricacies and personalities and play fantasy baseball side by side, just like I can appreciate the good diving catch and spit over a crappy OBP.
bboy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Rico The Retard » Tue Aug 24, 2004 10:48 pm

what the hell im not fatguy quit saying im him or i will start writing with capitilization and punctuation
fgfdsgdsfdasfd

"Hey honey, ya think KFC's still open"-Will Ferrell

Mark my words: Oliver Perez will be 2005 NL Cy Young Winner
Rico The Retard
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby KolbSaves » Wed Aug 25, 2004 12:10 am

Rico The Retard wrote:what the hell im not fatguy quit saying im him or i will start writing with capitilization and punctuation

I don't think anyone would protest that.
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
-Isaac Newton
KolbSaves
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers