World Cup of Hockey - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

World Cup of Hockey

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby zepfan » Tue Aug 24, 2004 2:27 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:
zepfan wrote:I agree completely. I used to really hate him for switching before I found out that the Canadian team rejected him. Once I found that out I can totally see where he's coming from. With the career he's had, he must be thinking "I told you so".

Definitely. ;-)

It's not that really, Hull did develop in the US and he wanted to pay back the US program. So it was not because he was rejected by team Canada, at least that is his official position:

Belleville, Ontario native and Hart Trophy winner Brett Hull made huge strides early in his hockey career thanks to the U.S. amateur hockey program, and wanted to repay his debt of gratitude by suiting up for Team USA. Hull joined a stacked roster that included Brian Leetch, Jeremy Roenick, Pat Lafontaine, Mike Richter and Mike Modano.

Link.

Unofficially, it is known that the US team lured him away. He had a place on Team Canada afterwards, he just had to pay his dues and have a few good seasons in the NHL. He wasn't going to be given a spot because of who his dad was.

But I don't really hate him. This is mostly just good natured sour grapes on the part of Canadians. We just don't want to lose to somebody who should really be playing for our team.[/url]

8-o Well in that case, I hate him again. :-b

I remember reading an article some years ago that explained that he joined the American team after trying out for the Canadian team. I took it at face value and haven't really looked into it since so I'm not sure what the situation was anymore. Maybe it was a Steve Simmons article I read. :-o

"My cat's breath smells like cat food." - R. Wiggum
zepfan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to General Talk