World Cup of Hockey - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

World Cup of Hockey

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby LBJackal » Mon Aug 23, 2004 12:07 am

Lofunzo wrote:
Tavish wrote:If it makes you all feel any better, I consider basically any American who plays hockey to be a traitor. :-D

Maybe a little. :-D Seriously, I could see a gripe if he just blew off Team Canada but they didn't want him and the U.S. was waiting wioth open arms.

So if yuo weren't fit enough to be deployed with the US army, would you fight for Iraq because they wanted you? It's an extreme comparison, but hockey is life in Canada. He was 23 years old, did he really have to sacrifice a lifetime of the Canadian national hockey team and his family's Canadian heritage for one lousy tournament?

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amazinz » Mon Aug 23, 2004 12:15 am

I didn't realize he was 100% Canadian. I think that would piss me off too. But I don't really know the circumstances of him being cut? from Team Canada.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Lofunzo » Mon Aug 23, 2004 12:44 am

LBJackal wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:
Tavish wrote:If it makes you all feel any better, I consider basically any American who plays hockey to be a traitor. :-D

Maybe a little. :-D Seriously, I could see a gripe if he just blew off Team Canada but they didn't want him and the U.S. was waiting wioth open arms.

So if yuo weren't fit enough to be deployed with the US army, would you fight for Iraq because they wanted you? It's an extreme comparison, but hockey is life in Canada. He was 23 years old, did he really have to sacrifice a lifetime of the Canadian national hockey team and his family's Canadian heritage for one lousy tournament?

That is too much of a stretch to be a good analogy. He hasn't flip-flopped. He stayed with it. That means something. Fighting for an army is much different. I would put it closer to Sidney Crosby deciding to just play in Europe for his career. Big news but not enough to cause an uproar.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby zepfan » Tue Aug 24, 2004 1:24 pm

Also I think he was pretty mad at the Canadian team for not accepting him to play for them. I get the feeling pride and spite had a lot to do with it. :-b

"My cat's breath smells like cat food." - R. Wiggum
zepfan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 5)

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Aug 24, 2004 1:27 pm

zepfan wrote:Also I think he was pretty mad at the Canadian team for not accepting him to play for them. I get the feeling pride and spite had a lot to do with it. :-b

I agree but I don't blame him. A better analogy is this.......If I want to be on 1 softball team but they don't want me. So, I sign up with another team and am actually good. A year or 2 later, the first team wants me now and I tell them no. I already have a team. I know that hockey is the law in Canada but you snooze, you lose. :-?
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby zepfan » Tue Aug 24, 2004 1:38 pm

I agree completely. I used to really hate him for switching before I found out that the Canadian team rejected him. Once I found that out I can totally see where he's coming from. With the career he's had, he must be thinking "I told you so".

"My cat's breath smells like cat food." - R. Wiggum
zepfan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 5)

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Aug 24, 2004 1:41 pm

zepfan wrote:I agree completely. I used to really hate him for switching before I found out that the Canadian team rejected him. Once I found that out I can totally see where he's coming from. With the career he's had, he must be thinking "I told you so".

Definitely. ;-)
Lofunzo

Postby Amazinz » Tue Aug 24, 2004 1:45 pm

What I don't understand is why didn't Team Canada want him? Were there politics involved or he just wasn't good enough to make the team at the time?
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue Aug 24, 2004 1:51 pm

Lofunzo wrote:
zepfan wrote:I agree completely. I used to really hate him for switching before I found out that the Canadian team rejected him. Once I found that out I can totally see where he's coming from. With the career he's had, he must be thinking "I told you so".

Definitely. ;-)

It's not that really, Hull did develop in the US and he wanted to pay back the US program. So it was not because he was rejected by team Canada, at least that is his official position:

Belleville, Ontario native and Hart Trophy winner Brett Hull made huge strides early in his hockey career thanks to the U.S. amateur hockey program, and wanted to repay his debt of gratitude by suiting up for Team USA. Hull joined a stacked roster that included Brian Leetch, Jeremy Roenick, Pat Lafontaine, Mike Richter and Mike Modano.

Link.

Unofficially, it is known that the US team lured him away. He had a place on Team Canada afterwards, he just had to pay his dues and have a few good seasons in the NHL. He wasn't going to be given a spot because of who his dad was.

But I don't really hate him. This is mostly just good natured sour grapes on the part of Canadians. We just don't want to lose to somebody who should really be playing for our team.[/url]
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 268)

Postby Amazinz » Tue Aug 24, 2004 2:09 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:Unofficially, it is known that the US team lured him away.

Those damn Americans. B-)
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk