World Cup of Hockey - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

World Cup of Hockey

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

World Cup of Hockey

Postby Amazinz » Sun Aug 22, 2004 3:57 pm

Since World Cups seem to be a hot topic I figured I'd bring up the WCOH. Who's looking forward to it? CAN vs. USA on Aug. 31. They're showing it on ESPN2.

How many times do you think Hull is going to score on Team Canada? :-D
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Rirruto » Sun Aug 22, 2004 4:29 pm

What's his deal, is he American or is he Canadian? His bio says he was born in Ontario but I've seen him play on Team USA
Rirruto
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Mookie4ever » Sun Aug 22, 2004 4:59 pm

Hull is a traitor. He is a Canadian and he tried out for the Canadian team in 1987 but wasn't good enough to make the team so he went to the US team.

btw - we have a hockey forum and we've been discussing this for a while, come join us down there. ;-D

Here is the link to the Hull is a traitor thread.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 277)

Postby Amazinz » Sun Aug 22, 2004 5:13 pm

Just to be fair: Hull's dad is American and his mom is Canadian. He's had dual-citizenship since birth. Team Canada turned him away and I think they get pissed because he won't come back to them. I don't totally understand it but I think calling him a traitor is a bit harsh. :-)
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Mookie4ever » Sun Aug 22, 2004 6:54 pm

Amazinz wrote:Just to be fair: Hull's dad is American and his mom is Canadian. He's had dual-citizenship since birth. Team Canada turned him away and I think they get pissed because he won't come back to them. I don't totally understand it but I think calling him a traitor is a bit harsh. :-)

Hmmm...The Golden Jet was born in Pointe Anne, Ontario and grew up in Belleville just outside of Toronto. He is a Canadian farm boy.

He did get US citizenship after playing 13 years with the Blackhawks (as do all Canadian athletes playing in the US for tax purposes) and maintains dual citizenship, but the Jet is and has always been Canadian through and through.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 277)

Postby ensanimal » Sun Aug 22, 2004 7:17 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:
Amazinz wrote:Just to be fair: Hull's dad is American and his mom is Canadian. He's had dual-citizenship since birth. Team Canada turned him away and I think they get pissed because he won't come back to them. I don't totally understand it but I think calling him a traitor is a bit harsh. :-)

Hmmm...The Golden Jet was born in Pointe Anne, Ontario and grew up in Belleville just outside of Toronto. He is a Canadian farm boy.

He did get US citizenship after playing 13 years with the Blackhawks (as do all Canadian athletes playing in the US for tax purposes) and maintains dual citizenship, but the Jet is and has always been Canadian through and through.

just saw that to and was going to say something. and even if mr. hull was and american i would still consider bret hull a traitor. i can't wait to watch the canadian team whip the old us guys around. ;-D
ensanimal

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 112)

Postby Amazinz » Sun Aug 22, 2004 7:36 pm

My bad. That's what I had read. :-°

EDIT: Or misread rather...
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Lofunzo » Sun Aug 22, 2004 9:08 pm

What's your beef with Hull??If he wasn't good enough to play for Canada, then I would assume that you would like an inferior player playing for the U.S. :-? Canada turned him away so he went and played for the U.S. What's the big deal??
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Tavish » Sun Aug 22, 2004 10:17 pm

If it makes you all feel any better, I consider basically any American who plays hockey to be a traitor. :-D

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby Lofunzo » Sun Aug 22, 2004 10:30 pm

Tavish wrote:If it makes you all feel any better, I consider basically any American who plays hockey to be a traitor. :-D

Maybe a little. :-D Seriously, I could see a gripe if he just blew off Team Canada but they didn't want him and the U.S. was waiting wioth open arms.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Next

Return to General Talk