World Cup of Baseball? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

World Cup of Baseball?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Kingsac » Fri Aug 20, 2004 1:02 pm

Well so far the biggest obstacle is that the MLB wants to be in charge of the event. Japan has balked at this and wants it to be governed by an outside organization. Also I don't think all those American players woud actually play for our world cup team, similar to nba players not wanting to play in their off season. I would guess PR would win. I bet those players would love to represent their country and play together. It would be an awsome tourney and I would pay top dollar to go.
A's all wAyS
Kingsac
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Tavish » Fri Aug 20, 2004 1:58 pm

DK wrote:I take back what I was going to say about Latin America. USA wins. :D

I guess it would depend on the format, in a short series the Latin America team could throw out Pedro, Santana, Vasquez with Rivera, Dotel, Benitez, Urbina and K-Rod. The bats are solid for both teams so it would be a nasty battle (an All-Star game so tough to call one way or another).

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 34)

Postby LBJackal » Fri Aug 20, 2004 3:01 pm

Kingsac wrote:Well so far the biggest obstacle is that the MLB wants to be in charge of the event. Japan has balked at this and wants it to be governed by an outside organization.

I don't blame the Japanese who don't want it run by MLB. Why not run it the same time as the winter olympics and let the IOC run it? That removes the bias. Have it in Australia, Dominican, or anywhere that it's hot during the North American winter.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Aug 20, 2004 3:06 pm

LBJackal wrote:
Kingsac wrote:Well so far the biggest obstacle is that the MLB wants to be in charge of the event. Japan has balked at this and wants it to be governed by an outside organization.

I don't blame the Japanese who don't want it run by MLB. Why not run it the same time as the winter olympics and let the IOC run it? That removes the bias. Have it in Australia, Dominican, or anywhere that it's hot during the North American winter.

I like that idea. I really don't like the current plan of having it during the middle of the MLB season.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 353)

Postby DaQ » Fri Aug 20, 2004 5:01 pm

This goes back to the beginning of the thread, but Manny is an American citizen. He missed a game or two earlier this year and took the test. I think the DR would win anyway.
DaQ
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Amazinz » Fri Aug 20, 2004 5:14 pm

Manny has dual-citizenship. My guess is he would still play for the D.R.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby LBJackal » Fri Aug 20, 2004 5:16 pm

I'm sure tons of baseball players have dual citizenship since they all play and most likely live in the US (except for Montreal/Toronto players, and Chris Reitsma who lives in Calgary). I think those guys would play for the country they were born in.

LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby ensanimal » Fri Aug 20, 2004 5:28 pm

LBJackal wrote:
Rico The Retard wrote:that would be cool but i guess what would the chances be of that happening they play 162 games or more in a season i doubt they are going to want to play anymore in the offseason

Lots of them already do: winter ball.

I don't think the US would have a chance at winning it all in the WC of Baseball. PR and DR have better teams IMO. Japan would probably be pretty good too, since not all their best players are in the majors. The only ones we know about are Ichiro, Matsui Sr, Matsui Jr, Choi, Tsao, Dave Roberts, Hasegawa, Sasaki, Ishii, Nomo, Otsuka, Takatsu, etc. I'm sure they have lots of good players left over there. USA might not even win a medal in that either 8-o

Also, Canada will have Koskie, Morneau, Reitsma, Dempster, Jeff Francis, Gagne, Bedard, Matt Stairs, Larry Walker, Quantrill, Zimmerman, and a few more probably. Reitsma might have been born in the US actually, but he's a Canadian citizen, so not really sure who he'd play for. That'd be something if Canada went further than the US in the WC of B :-b Unlikely, but funny nonetheless.

add harden, bay, cormier to that list. it would be so cool to see. i'd love to see canada take the gold their.

hey, i can dream can't i. :-b
ensanimal

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 91)

Postby LBJackal » Fri Aug 20, 2004 5:33 pm

Yeah I forgot about Harden and Bay..... probably a few more too. Rheal Cormier isn't anything special, but he'll help I guess. I sat beside his parents at a Jays game in '95 when he was with Boston. All the families were seated in our area.

LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Rico The Retard » Fri Aug 20, 2004 6:43 pm

harden and bay are canadian geez i dont know anything, that isnt surprising tho
fgfdsgdsfdasfd

"Hey honey, ya think KFC's still open"-Will Ferrell

Mark my words: Oliver Perez will be 2005 NL Cy Young Winner